Initiative: Amendment to Naming

DaveShack

Inventor
Retired Moderator
I would like to propose an amendment to the Naming Initiative, which was passed via this poll.

II. Procedure for Naming a New City
On founding, a city will be given the temporary placeholder name: "City#1" (In the event that there is already a city holding that name, the new city will be named "City#2" and so on in numerical order as required). A thread will then be opened by the Cheftain, to accept nominations from the public for the new city's name.

All nominated names which have been seconded after four days will then be polled. If there is no majority decision, then the top three options, including ties, will be polled again. In the event of no majority in the second poll, the top two options will be polled again.

Should no nomination be seconded, all nominated names will be entered in the initial poll.

III. Loss of city
Should a city be conquered or otherwise lost to another civilisation, before the naming process is completed, the process will be continued and the city given the eventually chosen name in the event of its recovery. Should the city be razed or otherwise destroyed before the naming process is complete, however, the naming process will be aborted.

IV. Renaming an Existing City

Renaming a city should occur only in special cases, and as such would be organised by the Cheiftain, in consultation with the city in question's Elder

V. Other features
Other geographical features, including, but not limited to: continents, mountain ranges, oceans, forests, and plains may also be named. Nomination threads for such features may be posted by any interested individual, and would follow the same procedure as in III.

It is advised that a thread be maintained noting names of such geographical features to allow for easy referral.

VI. Limitations
Names must not violate CFC forum rules

The proposed change is removing the phrase "by the chieftain":

II. Procedure for Naming a New City
On founding, a city will be given the temporary placeholder name: "City#1" (In the event that there is already a city holding that name, the new city will be named "City#2" and so on in numerical order as required). A thread will then be opened by the Cheftain, to accept nominations from the public for the new city's name.

Purpose of the change:
As written, only the Chieftain may open the naming thread. It would be better if anyone could open the thread.

Sounds fair to me too. Are you going to poll it or just count the supportive relies?

Sounds fair to me too, count on my support.

Sounds fair to me too. Are you going to poll it or just count the supportive relies?

The thing being changed is an initiative, and we've got rules for that. It can only be changed via another initiative, meaning a poll. :)

I like this idea as well, I started a naming thread for our capital, because I didn't see any around, and missed that line in the initiative. It seems better that citizens start the thread as then the thread will come into existance sooner, and the city will be named more quickly.

Major edit, as I didn't read through the initiative well enough myself:

V. Other features
Other geographical features, including, but not limited to: continents, mountain ranges, oceans, forests, and plains may also be named. Nomination threads for such features may be posted by any interested individual, and would follow the same procedure as in III.
I think what is meant is: [...] and would follow the same procedure as in II.

I agree too. Let's amend it.

But since there is pretty much support, even from the chieftain, do we still need a poll on this?

Officially: yes but I will accept a poll-less acceptation of this amendment too. If people object they can test the Judiciary :).

Folks - this is an Initiative, modifying another Initiative. Discussion, even unanimous discussion, creates a Constituency which cannot override or modify an initiative. Only another Initiative can do that.

Please poll this, and make the Judiciary's life easier, the game less stressful and keep everyone happy. Let's NOT test the Judiciary on this one, m'kay?

Thanks,
-- Ravensfire, Chief Justice

Folks - this is an Initiative, modifying another Initiative. Discussion, even unanimous discussion, creates a Constituency which cannot override or modify an initiative. Only another Initiative can do that.

Please poll this, and make the Judiciary's life easier, the game less stressful and keep everyone happy. Let's NOT test the Judiciary on this one, m'kay?

Thanks,
-- Ravensfire, Chief Justice
Why, are you busy this week :lol:?!

Why, are you busy this week :lol:?!

Yes! With the discovery of wheat, we're conducting "Judicial" experiements to see what can make with it. We're getting promising results from something we're calling "Unfiltered Wheat Beer".

Of course, <hick>, further research is required, so please, ignore the sounds of a party up by the Big Rock. It's just for research!

-- Ravensfire

I agree with ravensfire.

An update which includes the suggested change of III to II will be posted here later, unless someone beats me to it. Then a poll will follow. :)

Edit: crossposted. Joining the other members of the bar over by the rock. ;) That update may be delayed a bit.

Top Bottom