HOF Questions and Answers Thread

:lol: Spent more time on making sure everything else was correct, totally missed the simple and obvious! :D
I hold some fault on that as well, since I forgot to tell you I was going to make this one the official thread...:D

OK - I have a question. What is the minimum number of games that would be required to be submitted to cover off all the conditions to become a Quattromaster?

OK - I have a question. What is the minimum number of games that would be required to be submitted to cover off all the conditions to become a Quattromaster?

18 games would do it, as 18 different civilizations, making sure you got every map type, speed, victory condition, difficulty and the two gauntlets covered in those 18 games.

As you all probably noticed there have been several questions raised lately in the forums regarding how the HoF works. Unfortunately many of these questions are either hard to locate the answers to, either in the forums or on the site, or can't be located at all. I'm working on this being the place for everyone to answer those questions. The problem is, both RL responsibilities and playing [civ4] is getting in the way. I'm hoping that many of you can help me out in expanding on the above FAQ.

Basically what I'm wanting is for those of you interested to ask/answer questions that you feel could be added to the above list. Please state your suggestions in something easy to figure out, such as:

Question: What does HoF mean?

Answer: HoF is an acronym that is used that refers to the Hall of Fame.

Disclaimer: Please note, any suggestions given does not mean that I will include them in the FAQ. If I do include them realize that they may be inserted into the FAQ worded differently than you have stated. Thank you.

Questions relating to the HoF Mod and the included mods have been added to the FAQ. Unfortunately I still need to complete the descriptions for the Exotic Foreign Advisor, Domestic Advisor, and MapFinder. Format has been changed to make things easier to locate. Items are now put into sections.

I have also included:

Who are the HoF Staff and how do I contact them?

Jump to top of page

Question, since i only noticed the april 13th post when i read the new april 30th post today: How would you like to receive such suggestions?

Potential Answers: Here in this thread. Perhaps by email. Maybe in another thread created for this purpose to not clutter up this thread or your mailbox.

Disclaimer: I can't read Methos's mind, and do not know his tolerance for clutter ;)

The FAQ has been updated with this information in reference to MapFinder:

MapFinder
  • What does MapFinder do?
  • What do I need to use MapFinder?
  • How do I install MapFinder?
  • How do create, save, and view my Maps?
  • What is the Rules Builder File?
  • Uh, how do I read the MapFinder screen?

<Jump to the FAQ>

I just found something in my opinion very odd in the HoF-table:
I began by looking at one of my games that was worth only 6.8 Points for QM, although being on Immortal.
There are 2 games with the setting "Std Im Diplo Mara" in there.
The best finished 1544AD and mine 1560AD.
The first game gets 64 Points and because mine is the "worse", I got lousy 6.8 Points!
I don't think that is fair and till now I thought your calculation took into account, how close the games are together.
So to get more points for my game, I have to submit a very bad game or wait for someone to do so... I am disappointed about that.

Another thing we discussed some time ago, was an "unofficial" filter "warlords/vanilla". Any news on that?

QScore is derived from BaseQScore, which takes into account the average date of the best dates from each player. The fastest date receives a BaseQScore of 100 and the average date receives a 50. The problem is when a table consists of only two dates.

Take for instance a ficticious table where we have two submissions.
  • Player X: 1900 AD
  • Player Y: 1902 AD

The average between those two dates would be 1901 AD. Therefore, even though the two submissions are only 1 turn apart (two years), the BaseQScore each submission would get would be:
  • 1900 AD = 100 points
  • 1902 AD = 10 points

It doesn't matter if player X or Y submits a worse game, as those games wouldn't be taken into account for BaseQScore. You'd have to have another player submit a game to affect BaseQScore.

You didn't really cheer me up Methos.

I guess that 10 points are also the absolut minimum I would get.
So it wouldn't matter how good my game is. In your example, someone submitting a 2000AD game would still get 10 points, correct?

You didn't really cheer me up Methos.

I guess that 10 points are also the absolut minimum I would get.
So it wouldn't matter how good my game is. In your example, someone submitting a 2000AD game would still get 10 points, correct?

No, as the parameters used in compiling the BaseQScore would now change. Let me explain. Previously we had this:

Therefore the average between the two would be 1901 AD. So player x (1900 AD) would earn 100 points and player y (1902 AD) would earn 10 points. Now let's include your 2000 AD submitted by a third player:
  • Player Z: 2000 AD

Since we have three players with three best dates the average is no longer 1901 AD. The new average is now (1900 + 1902 + 2000)/3, or 1934. Player Y's date of 1902 is above the average date and is now probably sitting somewhere in the 90's. Since the average date is 1934 (50 points), the date that would earn 10 points would not be the 2000 AD, instead it would be 1968. This means player z with his 2000 AD date would earn less than ten points. Does that make more sense? Basically for every submission made by a player who hasn't yet submitted to that specific table the average date will change.

When there are only two submissions to a table the BaseQScore earned by both players will either be 100 or 10, no matter how close or far apart their dates are.

got it...so the 10 points spot is the date that is exactly as far behind the average date as the fastest date is ahead of the average?

anything farther behind the average than the fastest is ahead of the average gets less than 10 points, and anything between the average and the fastest gets between 50 and 100 points...is that correct?

got it...so the 10 points spot is the date that is exactly as far behind the average date as the fastest date is ahead of the average?

Correct.

anything farther behind the average than the fastest is ahead of the average gets less than 10 points, and anything between the average and the fastest gets between 50 and 100 points...is that correct?

Correct.

Maybe this will help...

The above graph is the formula that is used in compiling BaseQScore. As you can see the fastest date would receive 100, the average date (darker line down the middle) coincides with the graph at 50 points. 10 points is the exact distance same distance as 100 points is from 50 points. The farthest point to the right is exactly twice the distance as is between 100 points and 50 points.

The above graph is the formula

By any chance, do you know the exact mathematical formula? Just interested :D

errors:

Warning: ftp_login() expects parameter 1 to be resource, boolean given in /home/hofciv/public_html/civ4/include/submit.php on line 196

Warning: ftp_put() expects parameter 1 to be resource, boolean given in /home/hofciv/public_html/civ4/include/submit.php on line 197

Warning: ftp_login() expects parameter 1 to be resource, boolean given in /home/hofciv/public_html/civ4/include/submit.php on line 200

Warning: ftp_site() expects parameter 1 to be resource, boolean given in /home/hofciv/public_html/civ4/include/submit.php on line 201

Warning: ftp_close() expects parameter 1 to be resource, boolean given in /home/hofciv/public_html/civ4/include/submit.php on line 204

Warning: ftp_login() expects parameter 1 to be resource, boolean given in /home/hofciv/public_html/civ4/include/submit.php on line 196

Warning: ftp_put() expects parameter 1 to be resource, boolean given in /home/hofciv/public_html/civ4/include/submit.php on line 197

Warning: ftp_login() expects parameter 1 to be resource, boolean given in /home/hofciv/public_html/civ4/include/submit.php on line 200

Warning: ftp_site() expects parameter 1 to be resource, boolean given in /home/hofciv/public_html/civ4/include/submit.php on line 201

Warning: ftp_close() expects parameter 1 to be resource, boolean given in /home/hofciv/public_html/civ4/include/submit.php on line 204

Warning: rename(./files/unchecked/dystopian1.CivWarlordsSave,./files/unchecked/7569_20105_Dystopian_AD.CivWarlordsSave) [function.rename]: No such file or directory in /home/hofciv/public_html/civ4/include/submit.php on line 321
Failed to rename from ./files/unchecked/dystopian1.CivWarlordsSave to ./files/unchecked/7569_20105_Dystopian_AD.CivWarlordsSave

Warning: rename(./files/unchecked/dystopian2.CivWarlordsSave,./files/unchecked/7569_20106_Dystopian_AD.CivWarlordsSave) [function.rename]: No such file or directory in /home/hofciv/public_html/civ4/include/submit.php on line 321
Failed to rename from ./files/unchecked/dystopian2.CivWarlordsSave to ./files/unchecked/7569_20106_Dystopian_AD.CivWarlordsSave
Thank you for submitting Dystopian BC-0275.CivWarlordsSave.
Submitted: 2007-06-02 10:47:32

You may verify that your submission was received by checking the submission list.

errors:

Warning: rename(./files/unchecked/dystopian1.CivWarlordsSave,./files/unchecked/7569_20105_Dystopian_AD.CivWarlordsSave) [function.rename]: No such file or directory in /home/hofciv/public_html/civ4/include/submit.php on line 321
Failed to rename from ./files/unchecked/dystopian1.CivWarlordsSave to ./files/unchecked/7569_20105_Dystopian_AD.CivWarlordsSave

Warning: rename(./files/unchecked/dystopian2.CivWarlordsSave,./files/unchecked/7569_20106_Dystopian_AD.CivWarlordsSave) [function.rename]: No such file or directory in /home/hofciv/public_html/civ4/include/submit.php on line 321
Failed to rename from ./files/unchecked/dystopian2.CivWarlordsSave to ./files/unchecked/7569_20106_Dystopian_AD.CivWarlordsSave
Thank you for submitting Dystopian BC-0275.CivWarlordsSave.
Submitted: 2007-06-02 10:47:32

You may verify that your submission was received by checking the submission list.
Yeah, I noticed the problem a little while ago. Please hold on to your submission. We'll let you know when it is safe to try again. Thanks.

Top Bottom