What if Civ was Hex-Based?

aokces

Flanking III Submarine
Imagine Civ not with the square grids, but in hexagons!
Gameplay wouldn't change much, and the city radius would probably be reduced to 19 instead of 21 tiles, but I think it would look much nicer (smoother borders) and it would add a little complexity to unit manuevering.
Just thought it would be a neat idea, does anyone know if there's already a hex "Civ" game out there somewhere (prob Civ2 style but thats okay).

I suspect the main reason why Civ never went to hexes is because the NumPad doesn't map to a hex grid as easily as it maps to squares :p

I do find it silly that I always move units diagonally because it allows them to travel the same distance while exploring more of the map.

Diagonal moves give you a free 1.44 multiplier to your movement, so it's always preferable to move diagonally instead of straight, unless the terrain is constraining your movement.

This results in silly/unrealistic movement patterns. But once you accept that, it's not a huge nuisance.

I'd think it'd be pretty interesting if Someone could mod the game to have a Hex Grid, although I'm new to the concept (never play any games, computer or broad) that used hex grid... I'd have to get used to the Dot maps for Cities as they'd look like Diamond/Hexagons :S but apart from that it'd be pretty sweet.

I do find it silly that I always move units diagonally because it allows them to travel the same distance while exploring more of the map.

Diagonal moves give you a free 1.44 multiplier to your movement, so it's always preferable to move diagonally instead of straight, unless the terrain is constraining your movement.

Holy Cow, I just remembered you can do that. I used to do that all the time with Civ I. Thanks for the tip!

Hexagons could also improve the globe view on large maps by not having such huge ice caps.

Hex-grids in a TBS game? You seek Battle Isle (and its sequels), my friend. Old, but fun... if you can get them to run on newer PCs. Something that is moddable, I guess, is banning diagonal moves (like Advance Wars does - another TBS with a square grid)... that would be interesting.

No diagonal moves? If one civ's settler started 10N and 11W of another civs settler, those two civs could be at war for the rest of the game and it wouldn't matter.

Er, how do you work that out? You can still move N/S and E/W. It'll just take longer to get where you're going :)

Right, I'm thinking of something else. Nevernmind.

Anyway, requiring two moves to move diagonals is even further from the 1.41 moves that would be accurate, so I don't really like it as a solution.

Not if you increase unit movements to compensate. I'm not suggesting you'd double everything, maybe just increase every unit's movement by 1.

I never thought about the mechanics of diagonal moves, except that I too move diagonally to explore more of the map, I forgot it was the other way around in Civ2 and Civ3. I don't think the game needs changing, diagonal moves are just part of Civ.
But hexagon tiles :eek: would be....strange. But I might give it a try. Maybe HexCiv could sell with a USB plug in controller which has the movement keys in a hexagon! I actually don't use my numberpad in Civ4 - my laptop has a numberpad over the right part of the keyboard, and it is a little slanted and harder to use - so I use my mouse to move units.

A hex grid is a square grid where you aren't allowed to go (UP and RIGHT) or (DOWN and LEFT) at the same time.

Or, equivilently, it is a square grid where each column is offset by 1/2 of a square. Or, equivilently, it is a square grid where each row is offset by 1/2 of a square.

There have been some attempts to implement "decimal movement" -- where moving diagonally took 1.4 movement units, and leftover movement from your last turn could be used in your next turn (to a limited extent).

Freeciv has an option or mod with which yo can play on hex squares. ->http://forum.freeciv.org/viewtopic.php?t=1108
I've never played freeciv so I don't know how it actually works and what it does but if I would make a game like civ with hex squares I'd make the units be able to walk like this (see pic below), red "square" being the town centre.

I have played Panzer General as well as Civ4.

I think it would not change anything. Even worse. Now unit has 8 additional squares. No sense of having only 6 additional squares.

Top Bottom