Yena01 - The Promised Land

yena

King
As he descended from the mountain Cyrus' destiny was clear. The Space God who called herself Gaia had helped him unite his tribe and laid out the commandments on which their Empire would be built.

The tribe had emerged from the darkness but would never forget their roots. All the land they could see was theirs to have and to hold, to shape their future and reach for the stars.

But Gaia was clear; they could tame their uncivilised neighbours but would also remain true to their wild roots. Across the sea was their sister tribe, united in blood but still wild and untamed in spirit. The land across the sea was sacred and to be retained in its wild state as testimony to their roots and heritage. Whilst protecting this heritage they were to strive to advance and finally reach out to the Stars to join Gaia in her Glory

Per Ardua Ad Astra
Through Struggle to the Stars

Game Settings

• Version: 1.61 (vanilla), with the 1.61.011 HOF mod
  • Leader: random
  • Difficulty: Monarch
  • MapType: Terra
  • Map Size: Standard
  • Speed: Normal
  • Victory Condition: We aim for the stars (cultural and diplomatic are for whimps)
  • Opponents: 6 AI
  • Barbarians: Raging :D

Variant:
1) The New World is Barbarian and has to remain so. This means that:
  • We must have fully expored it - but can't settle there (no black tiles)
  • We must Raze any AI Non Barb cities there - The barbs may not appreciate our help but we are preserving it for them
  • If the AI wipes out the barbs in the new world we lose (lets see how advance the Barb cities can get)
2) Although we won't hesitate to use violence when the barbarian people is threatened, we know that the pen is mightier than the sword. To remind us of the true peaceful way, domination and conquest victories have been disabled.

Roster:
yena
tycoonist
ralph_jackson
kulko
elvis1985
fro

The game has started. Click here
to skip the pre-game discussion and jump directly to the start screen.

slide me into that roster...

by the second one do you mean something like we have to move all our empire over to the other continent, because i think that has been done. or do you mean that we just must prevent landing on the other continent? sounds fun.

i prefer monarch (but you already know that...)

Tycoonist - I think you are well capable of holding your own at Emperor in an SG so don't be put off by the level...

Slide me in as I enjoyed our fast paced and relaxed SG last time.

I would be happy with either a straight Emperor Romp for a blast or a Monarch "with a twist" variant

e.g. Sacred Land.
1) The new World is Sacred Land and must be preserved for indiginent population which means
i) We must have fully expored it - but can't settle there (no black tiles)
ii) We must Raze any AI Non Barb cities there - The barbs may not appreciate our help but we are preserving it for them
iii) If the AI wipes out the barbs in the new world we lose (lets see how advance the Barb cities can get)

Ralph

Nice to have you on-board, guys. We still need a few more players before we can start the game.

I also thought about completely relocating to the new continent, but I think that is a bit too restricting. My intention was rather to get the new continent for ourselves, so we have to either stop the AI:s from coming, or declare war on them at once and don't get peace until we have razed/captured the cities they found on the new island. I don't really think it will be much harder than a normal game.

Ralph's variant sounds fun, but harder. The home continent will be very crowded, and we will need a big navy later on. Mostly because I think it hasn't been done before I'm tempted to try this, but on Monarch and with a standard size map to give us a little more space to expand.

I would be interested too. I am a CIV III veteran having switched to CIV IV recently and playing at the Monarch level.

but on Monarch and with a standard size map to give us a little more space to expand.

That feels right to me,

Ralph

Welcome Kulko and Elvis. Are you also OK with doing Ralph's variant on Monarch?

Are we going with the suggested setting above (epic/random leader/6AI (standard map), or does anyone want to make some adjustments?

Settings are ok for me, although I am new enough to the game to enjoy a standard romp at emperor too.

I can't play, but best of luck guys :) I'll be lurking this one.

If you're trying to prevent the AI from reaching the shores of the new world, the easiest way is to just eliminate all of them :lol: I guess that's against the spirit of the variant though? If you play a slower speed like epic/marathon, you should be able to wipe off the AI before they get astronomy on terra maps, but on normal it may be a little harder. You may also want to set some sort of victory condition, as opposed to a "we can't lose in this way" since otherwise, you'll be forced to stop an AI launch later in the game. Just some thoughts :D

How are we going to win anyway? How about Diplo Victory, with at least 4 AIs alive.

I am perfectly happy to play with HOF mod as I use it in most games .

So as far as I can tell we still need to agree

1. Raging Barbarians fits with the Variant and would be a shame not to use.
2. Victory Conditions -True Diplomatic will be very hard (unless we go backdoor diplomacy which will be easy). The key issue is we can't prevent our allies settling in the New World (AI will want to) which will then cause us to DOW on them.
3. Domination is impossible due to our variant
4. Conquest simple
5. Cultural is an interesting one that fits with our protecting the innocent savages theme?
6. Time and space are obviously OK and the concept of Launching from the Old World while having a New World covered in Barb Mega Cities would be fun!

So I would vote for

1. We pick either must win culturally or by space which both need sufficent game turns for the New World to be interesting.
2. Raging Barbs
3. Random Personalities (its great when you encounter Gandhi and cant work if he is actually Monty in disguise)

Other than that as per Yena's opening post

Yena when we have settled on variant rules can you either edit your original post to reflect the variant (I will supply a wee story if you like), or start a new thread if you prefer. You will find that an SG generates more interest (IMHO) when people can look at the very first post and say that looks fun.!!

The AI does a pretty poor job of settling the new world. If you simply avoid killing barbarians, it's likely the AI will get driven out each time they try to settle there.

In my experience, the AI doesn't settle the new world until after I have eliminated most of the barbarian resistance. At that point, they start to settle in the less optimum locations left in the voids between my cultural borders or that of any remaining barbarian cities.

1. We pick either must win culturally or by space which both need sufficent game turns for the New World to be interesting.
2. Raging Barbs
3. Random Personalities (its great when you encounter Gandhi and cant work if he is actually Monty in disguise)

1. fine but i dislike culture immensely
2. Nice idea
3. NO!!! this is just plain annoying to me. being able to tell that isabel is gonna hate me for adopting a different state religion and that Tokugawa is an evil hag makes the game simpler and more fun IMO

I am perfectly happy to play with HOF mod as I use it in most games .
Perhaps we'd better not, since present and future lurkers may want to look at the saves but don't want to install the mod.

2. Raging Barbs
Sorry, I veto the random personalities ;) The other suggestions are good. Since we are mostly peaceful I think it is better to change back to normal speed.

Yena when we have settled on variant rules can you either edit your original post to reflect the variant (I will supply a wee story if you like), or start a new thread if you prefer.
I think we should keep the thread but update the top post.
@ralph: a story would be most helpful. Please send it by private mail.

As shyuhe said, the easiest way to stop the AI:s is to exterminate them. To prevent this maybe we should add a rule stating that we are only allowed to capture one enemy city in each war (on the home continent, any city on the new continent is doomed!). This would slow down domination/conquest considerably.

I would prefer using the mod. The information is displayed in such a superior format, that I would hate to lose it.

Agree with yena on points 1 to 3.

i don't think we will need the one city per war rule, just we agree not to go for a domination victory.

if we do agree on the mod, i would still not want anyone doing an autolog report. insert the log in a spoiler at the bottom of the report, but still include a detailed normal report with pictures, not a turn by turn log.

Agreed on Autolog.

As or the Rule I think we all mean the same (nit destroy everyones Ecoomy in the early game, such that the Area of exploration continues to be a challenge) but it would be nice to put in some concrete wording such that we don't discuss every other turnset if a certain action is within the spirit of the game.

Ok lets check where we are at so we can hassle Yena ;) into rolling a start as I wouldn't mind a wee turnset this weekend .

Agreed

Monarch, Terra, Small, default number of AI, Raging Barbs. no monkeying with the personalities!!

Autolog is not a turnset report - We want piccies and narrative, We may not be Shakespeare but we can all do better than the Autolog

No wiping out the AI early to "invalidate" our variant (I think we know what we mean by this and can manage it amongst ourselves without hard rules.

TBD
Space as Tycoonist doesnt fancy cultural and fits the "theme"?

I am off to write Yena's story...

Ralph

Top Bottom