Revaluation of the Mechanics of Research Desicions

Falcon02

General
Right now we pretty much make our tech decisions by re-polling each game session, or just the Chieftain's general feeling from tech discussions (I think this has only happened once).

Now, as people have pointed out, this has and can give our civilization a lack of focus... jumping from one track to another. Thankfully, we recently regained some focus when working towards Alphabet, because everyone agreed on one concise path, and followed it.

Also this system, particularly now, doesn't work out so well when we're researching 3 turn or 4 turn technologies. That makes it hard to either to have a full length game session or to poll each technology individually. To properly vote on all techs now every Tech poll must anticipate a second poll to see what we should research after the first. Should the first poll have a relatively short researched tech win, a second poll would be needed to determine what's afterwards (or it ends up being left to the Chieftain's or DP's digression, as it may this time around)

I would also comment how, no poll was set up this time around, until... well... 18 minutes after the scheduled time for the game session... But that's not so much mechanics as a need to delegate responsibility, as people keep expecting someone else to do it. Something that's has had some discussion elsewhere, with creating a Science office.

However, given these issues with the current system, I started to think about how things were done in the past. I namely looked at Civ3 DG1, since that's the one I'm most familiar with.

For most of it, particularly early on I saw little to no Science polls (everything was apparently simply discussed in the respective Government thread and discussion threads, and then the Science official made a decision based on that. This is not what we want this Demogame... and should be avoided.

However, I think there were some things to be learned. Primarily... "Research Queues," and people here have touched on that, but it's never really been implemented. Official tech instructions normally had 5 or more techs on them, in sequential order. The DP would then put them in queue in-game (shift-click), so that once we were done with one tech, the game would automatically go on to the next tech. If we traded for something on that queue, it just went on to the next item after that.

I also found, what I think is an example of a good decision making process for a queue...

Exhibit A: "Science Proposal" discussion thread
Someone (in this case the Science Official) posts a thread with their proposal and opens it for discussion. Various people give their own proposals for the build queue.

Exhibit B: "Research Poll" subsequent poll from above thread
All these proposals are placed in a poll for the final decision. Some stand alone techs were included as well, but I'm not sure why, because it would appear not all the individual tech options at the time were included....

Anyway, for our purposes we could use the repoll process to narrow down various proposals into 2-3 options from which we can get a majority decision. This would prevent uncertainty as to what tech is next. If something unexpected happens that causes us to reevaluate our research path, I don't think it would be too hard to repoll this, "shall we replace tech X with tech Y?" or "shall we move tech X to the front of the research queue?" etc.

Also, to preempt Ravensfire, none of our demogames were perfect (at least none of the ones I was here for). However, it is good to look back on the past, cause you can learn both from the failures of the past and the successes of the past.

I like that idea of an official and a research que, if we take some time to make a detailed decision on the next 4 or 5 techs then we won't have the same old mess every turnchat.

I feel that the proposals need to be seconded minimally, before they are added as an option in a poll.

Overall, it sounds good.

Sounds good i think we need to stop jumping around researching random techs

Concur - our research planning has been disappointing this game because of that.

Shifting to a voting on a plan will help focus and solidify our research goals. This will help plan trades to fill in the gaps, and know what not to trade other nations to keep us slightly in the tech lead.

Remember that a plan is not static - we can, should and will change it based on in-game events. Nobody (even nobody!) should view a plan as absolute and final.

-- Ravensfire

Well, the idea is good. My only concern is about time. Polling and re-polling are time consuming. We already saw this turnchat delayed because a poll decision wasn't made in time.
We could do something similar to what we did with Alphabet. Although I still think it wasn't the right move, everybody said: go for it. And proposed the path. We should do something like that. Let's say: we need GunpowderASAP, so would we take the Guilds or the Education path? Should we sling with Liberalism?

Working on mid-term goals we take a little more time to start, but then it's faster to carry on. Of course nothing should be wrote on the stone...

Other than that, we have the trade techs issue. The last DP had a Fishing for Mysticism deal to get and didn't. Should he have the power to make a deal?

Actually this will reduce polling, as we only have to make a new queue once every 10 or 15 techs (depending on the length of the queue.

It's really no different then the current system, except instead of just making a decision every tech, we make a decision every 10 techs or so.

Well I used 10 because the case I referanced in the first post was a little over 10 techs long.

There should be no requirement on how long or how short a queue is...

Though eventually you get to the point where it get's rediculously long ("okay let's play out our techs up to ICBM's" :crazyeye: )

Though I think 10 is reasonable. But even my own proposal in the proposal thread right now is only about 7 techs long.

I say we should elect a leader who leads discussions and posts instructions saying which techonolgys we reasearch.

I've got no problem with a Science leader to lead discussions and post instructions.... however, I still feel the actual tech track should be voted upon by the citizens, if at all possible.

An official who is responsible for coordinating technology would be an excellent idea, I think, to give our strategy some sort of coherent focus - leading discussions to pick a goal and stick to it.

An official who is responsible for coordinating technology would be an excellent idea, I think, to give our strategy some sort of coherent focus - leading discussions to pick a goal and stick to it.

FWIW, anyone can lead a discussion. I would be much more interested in someone actually doing that than in electing someone who might lead a good discussion.

730195, honestly the fact that no one has the direct responcibility to lead and start off a good discussion and poll is something that hurt us this last game session.

Everybody keeps thinking someone else will post the discussion thread or poll... however, no one has the direct responcibility... and it never gets posted, until the very last minute, as what occured last game session, where the poll wasn't posted until the day the game session was originally scheduled (technically 15-18 minutes after the scheduled game session). Now anyone CAN (and should continue to be able to) post a poll or discussion, but no one has the direct responcibility to.

In essence, in my view, part of the leader's responcibility (Science, Military, or otherwise) is to make sure that a poll or discussion is posted in a timely manner. If a Citizen takes the initiative, work from that, if not... then they gotta make sure it gets started.

Now anyone CAN (and should continue to be able to) post a poll or discussion, but no one has the direct responcibility to.

I disagree - the Chieftain was and is responsible.

In essence, in my view, part of the leader's responcibility (Science, Military, or otherwise) is to make sure that a poll or discussion is posted in a timely manner.

If the Chieftain had enormous, time-consuming responsibilities (writing orders or stimulating discussions), I might agree with the notion of spinning of some of the work. I just don't see the workload here. If a Chieftain can't handle the job, then resignation or a coup might be an answer.

I think I see what you're getting at, and I agree... without an official for a given area, the responcibilities that official would have is the Chieftain's responcibilities. So yes, right now the responcibilities that a Science official would be given over Science discussion and polls are currently the Chieftain's reponsibility.

However, I don't think a resignation or coup is in order yet...

Anyway, I suggest all discussion of creating a Science leader should be redirected to...
Pre-Initiative: The Seer

Top Bottom