Community Request: Building Pedia Entries

Kael

Deity
Heya folks, way back we ran an open call for spell pedia entries and you guys came up with some great stuff. Now I'd like to try the same with building entries. Don't worry about the practical effects of the building, we just want to catch a bit of flavor for each of them (buildings that need some practical functions explained will have a paragraph before the flavor paragraphs you guys are supplying).

The trick is to find an interesting paragraph to write about the building that conveys some sort of FfH flavor. It can be a story about something that happened at that building (like a story about a succubus that seduces and kills a man in a public bath) that invovles the building in an important way, some history about the building, or how the building is used differently for a specific civilization (calabim smokehouses dont just have sheep in them).

Be creative, have fun. My reject rate is pretty high so dont put to much of your heart and soul in it. Try to keep it somewhat brief (think of the poor french and german translators) but Id rather have a good story that was a bit longer than one that wasnt as good and brief.

Here are the buildings:

[tab]Academy
[tab]Aquae Sucellus
[tab]Arena
[tab]Basilica
[tab]Bear Totem
[tab]Bowyer
[tab]Brewery
[tab]Caminus Aureus
[tab]Carnival
[tab]Catacomb Libralus
[tab]Celestial Compass
[tab]Adventuers Guild
[tab]Blasting Workshop
[tab]Breeding Pit
[tab]Cave of Ancestors
[tab]Chancel of Guardians
[tab]Citadel of Light
[tab]Dwarven Smithy
[tab]Tailor
[tab]Governors Manor
[tab]Hall of Mirrors
[tab]Jeweler
[tab]Command Post
[tab]Demons Altar
[tab]Eyes and Ears Network
[tab]Forge
[tab]Form of the Titan
[tab]Granary
[tab]Grove
[tab]Herbalist
[tab]Hippodrome
[tab]Freak Show
[tab]Machinists Shop
[tab]Mage Guild
[tab]Mines of Galdur
[tab]Moneychanger
[tab]Obsidian Gate
[tab]Pagan Temple
[tab]Public Baths
[tab]Ride of the Nine Kings
[tab]Shrine of Sirona
[tab]Song of Autumn
[tab]Soul Forge
[tab]Stables
[tab]Tablets of Bambur
[tab]Tax Office
[tab]Temple of Kilmorph
[tab]Temple of Leaves
[tab]Temple of the Empyrean
[tab]Temple of the Order
[tab]Temple of the Veil
[tab]The Necronomicon
[tab]Tower of Alteration
[tab]Tower of Complacency
[tab]Tower of Divination
[tab]Tower of Eyes
[tab]Tower of Necromancy
[tab]Tower of the Elements
[tab]Training Yard
[tab]Weaponsmith
[tab]Winter Palace

I also have a special request for Xuenay, he wrote a lot of the OO spell pedia tags and does an amazing job capturing their flavor (a little to good, sometimes I worry) so if your available and willing Xeunay Im saving these building entries for you:

[tab]Asylum

Completed:

[tab]Forbidden Palace (Miloe)
[tab]Brewery (Red Boxer)
[tab]Reliquary (Gutus)
[tab]Sculptors Studio (Black Whole)
[tab]Yggdrasil (Miloe)
[tab]The Nexus (Valis and Terry Pratchett)
[tab]Dungeon (Gelvan)
[tab]Siege Workshop (Gamestation)
[tab]Library (Samael)
[tab]Thieves Guild (Samael)
[tab]Golem Workshop (Black Whole)
[tab]Code of Junil (Gamestation)
[tab]Bazaar of Mammon (Nikis-Knight)
[tab]Harbor (QES)
[tab]Infirmary (QES)
[tab]Temple fo the Overlords (Xeunay)
[tab]Stigmata of the Unborn (Genejack)
[tab]Warrens (Smiling Jack)
[tab]Smokehouse (Corlis)
[tab]Gridlines (Corlis)
[tab]Aqueduct (Skitters)
[tab]Archery Range (Skitters)
[tab]Courthouse (Skitters)
[tab]Inn (Skitters)

By the way, do you want strategy tags for buildings? For example
Spoiler :
TXT_KEY_BUILDING_ALCHEMY_LAB_STRATEGY
The gunpowder units allowed by an alchemy lab are a good alternative to melee in capturing cities. The science bonus makes this building also valuable in cities with science multipliers, such as those with libraries or academies.

TXT_KEY_BUILDING_AQUAE_SUCELLUS_STRATEGY
In addition to the health bonus from this wonder, all diseased units that end their turn here will be cured. This is a good wonder to go for if you have life mana but few other health resources, or are following the Octopus Overlords or Ashen Veil and are having trouble with disease.

TXT_KEY_BUILDING_ARCHERY_RANGE_STRATEGY
The units enabled by the Archery range are designed for defending cities or stacks of units. You don’t need to build one of these buildings in every city; rather save production by building one and moving units to other cities.

TXT_KEY_BUILDING_ARMORER_STRATEGY
Since the armorer enables a national unit, it is only useful in a few high production cities.

im a little confused are we supposed to suggest entries here or straight into the wiki? my wiki-handling skills are below average :lol:

im a little confused are we supposed to suggest entries here or straight into the wiki? my wiki-handling skills are below average :lol:

my wiki skills and ability to be creative are below average. :(
but I believe he means just to add something in the wiki about whatever so-n-so building, and notify him here what you did(a link and such in a post would help)...although I'll let him, and/or the oh-so-lovable bunch known as a group called the writing cru,{yeah okay} clarify when he, they, gets the chance to.

my wiki skills and ability to be creative are below average. :(
but I believe he means just to add something in the wiki about whatever so-n-so building, and notify him here what you did(a link and such in a post would help)...although I'll let him, and/or the oh-so-lovable bunch known as a group called the writing cru,{yeah okay} clarify when he, they, gets the chance to.

I guess it would be easier to just post your suggestions here. You can still add them to the wiki after they are definetly in.

I just hope nobody will get angry, but I have just edited harbor ffh wiki entry. Please review it, if you have time. If you do not like it, or think something should get changed, please contact me and I will either remove it or modify it.

This entries will be put in the Pedia, eventually. It's easiest to stick them here, so Kael can see them and glue them in as they come along. Things in the Wiki might get missed.

I intended for them to be posted here. But I dont mind entries in the wiki. just let me know that you posted them so I know to go check them out.

I am posting my proposal for Harbour here then. I have removed it from the pedia.

Harbour

Civilopedia

Ah... The sea, the sound of fishermen coming back from fishing, the rush and fuss of the fish market, the refreshing breeze of humid and salty air. All those things one can find in the city harbour.

Strategy Text

Harbours are providing additional health bonus to your cities by securing a constant stream of fresh seafood.

PS: Please, be gentle ;).

So you want them here?

Ride of the Nine Kings

Spoiler :
"The pounding at the door came again, more insistant, this time. The ancient wooden door buckled slightly, and slivers of wood flew outwards. Those bracing the doors could here Ogres grunting outside, smashing at the door with their great hammers. As a particulary hard hit crashed against the door, the last bit of light faded from the windows in the ceiling of the cavern.
"MY lords, we won't last the night." a young, pale faced officer scurried to the table, where the Nine Kings of the last free Hippus tribes Planned. over them, laying limp in the still and muggy air of the cavern, where horses and men had been lodged for days, Banners dangled. Once beautiful, resplendant in the sun, as the massed armies of the hippus rode through the plains, they now lay faded and dirty. "The clan's brought in three stoneskins."
One of the younger kings looked up at the officer, and the officer could read despair in his eyes. "we're lost... why do we keep fighting? Where are our allies; where are the ljosalfar, who brought us into this war?" he muttered.
"We wll ride... the last ride of the Hippus..." the oldest of the kings spoke "Call the men to arms! Saddle the horses... We will not be forgotten. The we may ride to riun, we will be remembered." His eyes shone, and he donnes his helm, the plume of horsehair flapping as if from an unearthly breeze.
It was quick. the men had been expecting a ride for a while, had kept thier swords neer, kept the horses rested and saddled. They mounted, and formed a great line in front of the door. They lowered thier lances, and waited for the signal.
"So few remain," the young king looked behind sadly "We ride in vain."
"It is worth it." the old king said, "We will not be forgotten." they both unsheathed thier swords, though the young king slightly more hesitantly, and wheeled thier horses to the front of the formation.
Those at the door released it just as a stonesking ogre hit it a final blow. The door flew open, shards of stone and wood scattering everywhere. the massed hordes of the clan orcs poured in, and fell back, hesitated for a moment. Hornes sounded, and the remanants of the hippus nation poured out through the door. hundreds of clan orcs died that die, along with one of the stonesking ogres. the Last of the Hippus fell, and the light ofthe horsemasters was extinguished. that was the end."
the old ministrel put away his lute, a beautiful instument, carved with stylized horse heads. his face was weathered, and looked like stone in the flickering light of the campfire. The children stared up at him expectantly.
"But Sir, you're wrong. the hippus are still here."
he looked at them and sighed. "That story is for another night... how the great lord Tasunke rose from being a clan slave, captured at the last battle, and united the few remaining free petty lords. how he led them in victory after victory against the clan, and how Rhoanna came up with he plan to make the hippus the most feared and respected nation. I'll tell children tomorrow, if you're good."

PS (i was sort of inspired by the Lord of the rings for some of this, so it may seem slightly familiar)

Forbidden Palace

Every form of government has their own way of dealing with the great masses of people. But what they all have in common, is the knowledge that information is best to kept in the lips of the leaders, not the common folk. So in order to sustain discipline and obedience, growing empire requires more and more complex network of influence over the public. Hidden societies and shadowy cults may begin to act as a moving hand behind the throne and members of these organizations can often be found as the leaders most trusted advisors. Often called as the silent councils, these parts of the government need established base to keep their work undisturbed.

Strategy text:

Being as the true center of government, the Forbidden Palace will reduce maintenance costs in nearby cities but however, it will never be known to the public.

ps. please notify and possibly fix any grammar errors or unrational sentences since english is not my main language. also, i might have misunderstood the whole concept of this building which would make this post useless :crazyeye:

Brewery
Since the earliest days of the Thaw, brewers, master craftsmen would take refine grains into the most delicious of beverages. The great breweries of the first Spring were built in the Dwarven holds along their mighty rivers, to produce these refreshments. During the bitter Winters, they'd carve blocks of ice to pack in their barrels during the Summer, so that by the Fall they would be laden with alcohol, and ready to drink. So invigorating was this drink that is filled the Dwarves with zeal and gusto, emboldening them in their first forays into the world! ...though there is more than one historian who believes that the Dwarves were so driven because they were addicted to their brews and would do much and strive ever on to have just another drink.

- Lescroc Garsmort, historian and brewer

Strategy: You built the city along the river. You have more grains than you know what to do with! You should have happy citizens as well!

Tax office

Civilopedia

"Give to Caesar what is Caesar's, and to God what is God's."

Matthew 22:17-21

Strategy text

Tax office provides significant gold revenue boost. Your people will not necessarily like it.

"Give to Caesar what is Caesar's, and to God what is God's."

Matthew 22:17-21

Hmm I like this one better :D

"Give to Casiel what is Casiels, and to God what is God's."

Watthem 22:17-21

"I only do heroes." - Nilorunde, Sculptor

Full Description
A place where someone,or thing; they descriminate not, gets sculpted.

Reliquary

Civilopedia

"My dear, beloved children, stand down and lay down your weapons. Kneel and pray. Because thou are about to be sanctified by the omniscent presence of this holy item. Its touch healing thousands of souls, its look giving sight to the blind, its smell giving hope to milions, making me a voluntarily slave of its infinite love. Let us pray, let us pray to honour its very existence..."

Strategy text

Relics make your cities centres of culture with thousands of pilgrims arriving at your city, thus populating your culture. Your priests, serving these items may become prophets. Your city inhabitants are becoming more and more spiritual, however temporal increases in your city's population is making it more and more polluted, more unhealthy.

Sculptor's Studio

"First of all, choose a material, which you want to use. For the Beginning, you should choose wood, because it is not expansive and easy to work with. When you have some practice, you can go on with stone and marble. Then imagine what kind of shape your creation should have. A humanoid shape would be the best and it is also very popular. After you got a vision of it, begin with the rough contour. Now work out the details of your sculpture, for this distinguish our golems from the war machines. We want to create unique beings not mass produced soldiers and the materials we use here aren't suited for war anyway.
Be as accurate as possible, make every finger, eye, feather and mouth authentic. If you are satisfied with the sculpture, the last but most important step follows: The Enchanting. Without magic you would have a beautiful piece of work, but what kind of use do they have if they can't do anything but standing in one place? So check your sculpture a last time before starting the enchantment ritual, because once they 'live', the body of them cannot be changed anymore.
After you finished, you will feel like a proud father looking at his newborn."

Strategy text:
A Sculptor's Studio allows the creation of the wood golem and the gargoyle. Because of the impressive and beautiful work of the craftsmen, this building grants +1 culture point.

Yggdrasil

She stood with me at the forest next to the town. She had a bag of enriched soil in her left hand and a small glowing seed in the other. She said that this particular seed will bring us happiness and prosperity beyond our imagination.
When I asked my master, why does the seed glow so strongly, she just smiled back at me. The sun was shining warmly that day and it made her eyes look enigmatic and somehow, sad. She kneeled down, planted the seed and whispered something I was unable to hear. At that moment, she fell unconscious to the ground.
Suddenly small roots begun to grow beneath her body and quickly she was entirely cowered by them. The roots kept growing upwards forming a shape of a tree and all the other trees next to us were bending towards her body, almost like they wanted to join that miraculous growth. Moss beneath us started to pulse light and glowing butterflies with other lifeforms emerged from thin air transforming the whole forest into a radiant garden. While I was gazing at the giant tree, I knew that she had filled the seed with her own soul.
Every day from that day on, I came back to the tree and harvested her magical fruits in honor of my former master. We begun to call her Yggdrasil, the Life Tree.

- Laudellina, druid apprentice

Top Bottom