Pre-Initiative: The Seer

Methos

HoF Quattromaster
Hall of Fame Staff
Retired Moderator
It appears as if a large part of our citizens desire a science officer, or someone to look ahead in the research opportunities of our nation. So I'll start the discussion on what his or her abilities will be. Currently, I would say at least this:

Responsibilities:
  • Responsible for our tech path.

Sorry, but I started simple to see what you all have to say. I'll give it a day or two and than create the actual Initiative.

If you just call it our scientist I would welcome the lad, science officer sounds a bit odd :p. Do we also want our scientist to decide on which research trades to make?

I am in favor, though im sure someone smarter than me will say that we need more than just
Responsible for our tech path.

Can we try to get the offices in place before the next elections?

I am in favor, though im sure someone smarter than me will say that we need more than just .

Agreed, but thought I'd let others create the responsibilities, rather than me just state what I believe they should be. Therefore my very simple statement. :D

Yeah, this is what I'm trying to do. With any luck, we can have it in place just as elections start. Whoops! I just realized I need to do that in the next couple of days! :eek:

If we want to try to get all the new officies in before elections, we may want to concider the Domestic office as well...

Though I doubt either Science or Domestic will be ready before elections.

It appears as if a large part of our citizens desire a science officer, or someone to look ahead in the research opportunities of our nation.

I will vote against the creation of such an office. I consider this task well within the capabilities of a Chieftain and I don't think that further dividing responsibilities will improve the situation.

I agree there should be a science officer, his responsibilities should include

Maintaining a office thread showing our current tech possibilities and the research time required for them as well as any research paths that have been voted on.

He should also be responsible for ensuring that new research paths are discussed and voted on before the research path in progress is finished.

It might also be wise to ask him to monitor the scientific output of our cities and occasionally make requests when he sees changes that can be made to increase scientific output.

Of course all decisions on tech paths will require public votes, but an officer to coordinate such votes and discussions would be very useful

Sorry, there isn't enough time. Looks like the next Chieftain will have some appointments to make.
I will vote against the creation of such an office. I consider this task well within the capabilities of a Chieftain and I don't think that further dividing responsibilities will improve the situation.
Except that we've had two terms now where the research planning hasn't been as much as it needs to be. It's not a problem with the people who are Chieftain, it's a problem with the inevitable demands of RL.
He should also be responsible for ensuring that new research paths are discussed and voted on before the research path in progress is finished.

Of course all decisions on tech paths will require public votes, but an officer to coordinate such votes and discussions would be very useful
Actually decisions on tech paths don't require votes any more than any other decision requires a vote. The people can decide what they want via (near) universal support in a discussion, or by saying nothing and thereby giving their support to the official. When support is lopsided, it's up to those who disagree to request a poll, or post one if a request gets no action.

That said, there is nothing wrong with polling these decisions. Just wanted to set the record straight on whether a poll is legally required. :)

I'll support the idea of a science officer, though I think that the name should probably not be the Seer...

As far as naming... "Head Alchemist" could be a good alternative.

I think "Chief Scholar," "Chief Librarian", "Scholar-General," or "Librarian-General" would be better than Head Alchemist.

I'll support the idea of a science officer, though I think that the name should probably not be the Seer...

The Seer refers to a prophet in the Bible.

The reason we're having trouble finding a "tribal" name for early scientists is that there wasn't any such term. [wiki]History_of_technology[/wiki]

Maybe we should just use a modern term like Scientist, Chief Scientist, Inventor, Philosopher (since early scientists were philosophers first).

I'd go with Philosopher-General or Chief Philosopher. It sounds "ancient" enough.

Should we put the name to a poll or i am tempting fate to carry on the naming process until the end of time :)

He should also have the responsibility for debating on tax/tech/cult slider changes.

hey all
first off, im new to this democracy game, so if im posting in the wrong thread my apologies.
i think this idea of someone to look over science type stuff is a good idea, and if this is the right place to put my name forward for that role then i would like to put my name forward for that position
i appreciate im new but i would like to get stuck in straight away and learn by doing

Top Bottom