The question about the waiting time during each Round

heystanley

Chieftain
I was wondering that whether civ3 requires high computer configuration,because I have to wait a long time for each round in the modern age!What can I do?Wait?~~~~Oh no,come on,can some one help me (I'm a newbie),just tell me what I can do to reduce the waiting time.And should I do things to optimizate my computer?

MY COMPUTER CONFIGURATION MEM:768 CPU:1.7GHZ MAIN BOARD:INTEL845GL(VERY OLD:sad: )

Activate 'capslock' for the full duration of AI's turn (till it comes back round)

Good news for you on a system like yours the lil things can add up to make a differnce in time saving. But, That internal graphics chipset you have is cripplin your turns the most.
Try resetting the mem allocation in BIOS thats defaulted to your Onboard at start up. (lower it to at least 1/3 the number, that still way more then enough to handle Civ3 graphics)The best you coulddo is spend 50 dollers on a 128mb.

Anyway heres a bunch of other stuff that together may help.

Some custom made maps have alot of barbarian camps, most of the time in the beginning will be eaten by those :p. This will not help you in the modern ages though...

My system is less powerful than yours, heystanley. I do not have long wait times at all. The only difference with my system is that I do not use on-board video. I also keep my HD very clean. You might have spyware/adware chewing up system resources.

If you don't have spy-bot get it:
http://www.safer-networking.org/

Also, CCleaner will clean out your registry and fix other issues:
http://www.ccleaner.com/

Both are free, btw. Just for comparison my system = Athlon XP 2100(1.7GHz), 512Mb Ram(2x256 running in dual channel mode), 60GB ATA133 HD(new ones are SATA, much faster), and a generic AGP 4x 64MB video card.

The delays are often tied to map size and type. IOW the larger the map and the more water the more opportunities for harbor and trade routes.

In a map like 250x250 once you get to the max cities and have met most of the civs, cuttign a road can take 40-80 seconds on a 3gh box.

The more civs and area means more moving units in wars and the numbers can get large.

It is mainly compute bound, so the faster yours is the better.

I was wondering that whether civ3 requires high computer configuration,because I have to wait a long time for each round in the modern age!What can I do?Wait?~~~~Oh no,come on,can some one help me (I'm a newbie),just tell me what I can do to reduce the waiting time.And should I do things to optimizate my computer?

MY COMPUTER CONFIGURATION MEM:768 CPU:1.7GHZ MAIN BOARD:INTEL845GL(VERY OLD:sad: )

Hmm.... My notebook is far less powerful apart from the CPU and Graphics, 256 MB RAM, 1.8GHZ, 32 MB Graphics card. Anyway, I don't wait too long. I keep my Hard drive quite empty. So that is another factor that could increase speed... It does slow down with CivAssist a lot, but I switched to mapstat (Uses far less memory.

I play with a huge map and all civs. But it still seems to be going quite fast. Something that will really slow down your game is open programs. Close all the programs you aren't using, and if the anti virus software is scanning that will reduce the speed too.

In your cities or the AI's? If you've built one in your city then the anchor should immediately show up the same turn you built it. The AI's don't build harbours until at least mid-middle ages.

Activate 'capslock' for the full duration of AI's turn (till it comes back round)

Good news for you on a system like yours the lil things can add up to make a differnce in time saving. But, That internal graphics chipset you have is cripplin your turns the most.
Try resetting the mem allocation in BIOS thats defaulted to your Onboard at start up. (lower it to at least 1/3 the number, that still way more then enough to handle Civ3 graphics)The best you coulddo is spend 50 dollers on a 128mb.

Anyway heres a bunch of other stuff that together may help.

Wow,thank you very much ,you mean my computer's Bottleneck is the graphics,and so do I,but you know,the price of the graphics is more than 50 dollers in my country,and what's worse,the graphics that suit my main board has just broken off and I can't find any graphics that suit me in the market! What I can do is just waiting for my new computer~~~:cry:

Some custom made maps have alot of barbarian camps, most of the time in the beginning will be eaten by those :p. This will not help you in the modern ages though...

Sorry but I don't quite understand the meaning of this sentence:"have alot of barbarian camps " :cry: my English is poor ~~~

My system is less powerful than yours, heystanley. I do not have long wait times at all. The only difference with my system is that I do not use on-board video. I also keep my HD very clean. You might have spyware/adware chewing up system resources.

If you don't have spy-bot get it:
http://www.safer-networking.org/

Also, CCleaner will clean out your registry and fix other issues:
http://www.ccleaner.com/

Both are free, btw. Just for comparison my system = Athlon XP 2100(1.7GHz), 512Mb Ram(2x256 running in dual channel mode), 60GB ATA133 HD(new ones are SATA, much faster), and a generic AGP 4x 64MB video card.

Thank you for your advice,and I ever use this software,not bad,but it's bad than me:D ,because I am almost a computer experts and I'm sure that there can't be any spyware in my computer bucause I'm sure of myself:lol:

Top Bottom