Cultivating a dose of Anglophilia!

Cam_H

Deity

There is one thing higher than Royalty:
and that is religion, which causes us
to leave the world, and seek God.

- To her ladies-in-waiting.
Chamberlin, The Sayings of Queen Elizabeth.

This is not a traditional succession game in that the full roster will play the same game and at intervals vote on the most successful attempt as determined by a vote. End of round discussions will ideally provide some educational value.

The Settings

Leader: Elizabeth I (England)
Landmass Type: Continents
Sea Level: Medium
Climate: Temperate
Size: Standard
Barbarians: Normal
Difficulty: Monarch
Speed: Normal
Victory: All types enabled however England is confined to Cultural
Version: 2.08 Warlords

The Start

* Note: After playing to 2400BC, I decided to reroll this map in light of a very favourable distribution of special resources. Consequently some of the posts on this first page refer to an earlier save that is now out of play. The new 'official' save is downloadable from the foot of this post.

The following leaders have been selected as the A.I. rivals;
  • Augustus Caesar (Rome) : Creative / Organised
  • Cyrus (Persia): Charismatic / Imperialistic
  • Frederick (Germany) : Organised / Philosophical
  • Hannibal (Carthage) : Charismatic / Financial
  • Mao Zedong (China) : Expansive / Protective
  • Washington (America) : Charismatic / Expansive

The Variant

The roster participants play in rounds to agreed check points. Games are compared and discussed and then voted on. Voting is done by secret ballot, and a player will not be selected for the 'most successful' round twice in a row. The player selected as submitting the most successful will act as Returning Officer for the following round, which entails counting the votes, announcing the winner, and in case of a tie; having the casting vote. Votes are done in a 3-2-1 format (‘3’ being the most successful, ‘2’ being the second most successful, and ‘1’ being the third most successful). Players can not vote for their own games. Finally, the core idea of this game is not to be overly competitive with others on the roster, but to learn from or teach each other improved game approaches.

As per above, the English can only win by Cultural victory (three cities at 50,000:culture: each).

Roster
  • Cam_H
  • Fbelintani a.k.a. FeedBack
  • KMadCandy
  • Mice
  • Mrchadt
  • Mutineer
  • Öjevind Lång
  • Ozbenno
  • Pigswill
KMadCandy withdrew in Round 4. mrchadt joined in Round 4.

The Play

Weekly - games to be posted at latest by early Saturday morning 'American time'. Typically there will be about five days to play and two days to compare games and vote. Players are asked to save their posted games with their 'handle' / name so the player's game is identifiable from others'. Round duration to be determined by agreement, however the traditional format;
  • 4000 BC to 2400 BC
  • 2400 BC to 875BC
  • 875BC to 125 AD
  • 125 AD to 1000 AD
  • 1000 AD to 1400 AD
  • 1400 AD to 1650 AD
  • 1650 AD to 1820AD
  • 1820 AD to 1900 AD
Strictly: No reloads and no WorldBuilder.

Round 1: KMadCandy's game was selected. She nabbed a highly desirable spot for York with three food resources and Gold. Hinduism was founded in London.

Round 2: Ozbenno's game was the one chosen, where an Axe rush has claimed the prize Roman city of Antium - the Buddhist Holy City with a source of Marble in the perimeter.

Round 3: Cam's game was picked, where the Roman Empire was decimated and a Theology bee-line was embraced.

Round 4: Mutineer's game was voted in, where the empire has five Holy Cities and access to a sixth religion.

Round 5: Mrchadt's game was deemed to be the most successful, where England's taken the blade to China while simultaneously meeting our intercontinental rivals.

Round 6: Mutineer's game was elected at the most successful in a round of tight voting - we're on the downhill stretch and players will see this one out to victory.

Attachments

• Elizabeth_Culture_Start.CivWarlordsSave
    71.9 KB · Views: 381
grassland gems on a river with liz who starts with mining! i think i'm in love! it's been forever since i played a cultural game on continents tho, recent ones have been pangaea or inland seas, i'll have a lot to relearn :crazyeye:

Me, I've played one culture victory (SG too) so I've got everything to learn!

Edit: On the other hand anglophilia should be easy enough :lol: .

Well to kick things off there are a couple of handy articles in The War Academy for those who feel as though they might benefit from a refresher.

Öjevind was the one to pick Elizabeth, which one could easily argue delivers the best of a hybrid economy and/or transition economy. 'Traditionally accepted' target WoWs for cultural wins have been The Pyramids, The Parthenon, and The Sistine Chapel - and 'icing' includes The Great Library and the Taj Mahal. If we were coastal, The Colossus might also be one for consideration in the mix in light of being a Financial leader.

Starting without Mysticism is a bit of a hurdle, but our 'hand picked' tribes don't start with it either, and as KMad has already noted, working the River Gems presents itself as an opportunity to advance through the early technologies pretty quickly.

While Animal Husbandry isn't an easily accessible technology for England (with no pre-requisites), Cows are a good resource to complement some of the surrounding terrain.

I tend to stop my research in Cultural games at Grenadiers and Cavalry - but the Redcoat presents us with an interesting conundrum.

[Ozbenno - I'll put you on the waiting list, as not all of the roster's members have confirmed their availability yet].

seens I am not for wasting time I decided to go ahead and play.
Spoiler :

Please, note, I playe not in HOF stile, but in most solid stile from any kind of play.
I settle in place after moving warrior on forested hill, finding out that starting position even better then we see. :)
Research wize I went Meditation- huntiong (I wanted scout)- politheism-
Animal hasbentry-bronse working-farming-well
I wanted to know where are strategic resources and I want to be able to connect them and cities.
After bronse I was wanting to attempt Monotheism, but AI get there befor me (Do they have aven better starting position?)
Priesthood.

Build wize-
Worker-scout-warrior-warrior-warrior-warri0r(n)

Imrovements wize gem mine-gem mine- mine-pasture- currently farming sugar.
Plan wize I want to try Oracle, with options of taking Philosofy from it. I think I am brave enoght for that.

So, research wize I probably go priesthood-pottery-writing-col.
But I am not 100% sure, I migth stop on something less.

I consider exploration extrimelly important.
Currently I know about 2 sources of cooper and hourses, location of one enemy capital and suspected location of other.
On of posible plan I can back to is to take over Cyrus capital. He has impotant resources near it.

IN order to avoide spoiler I do not say where which resources are.
Some pictures.

This could be fun! I like the looks of the map so far. And great thanks to Cam for getting this on the road. I think we should start by each mentioning which initial strategies we favour. Of course, the jools mean we shouldn't postpone researching Iron Working too long. [Edit: Oh, wow. The jools are not on a jungle tile. Wonderful!]

I'd go for researching Mysticism and then Polytheism, in the hope of founding Hinduism. I think there is a realistic chance of founding Hinduism first on Monarch, and with these rivals. I would first build a warrior, then start on Stonehenge if Mysticism has come in; if not, I would start building a barracks. As soon as the population hits 3, I'd put whatever else I am building on the backburner and build a settler first. Then a new warrior, and then a worker, and after that Stonehenge, to get a Great Prophet for the shrine. Then Agriculture, Animal Husbandry and Bronze Working. If we discover stone anywhere close, I'd then go for Masonry. The Pyramids cost a lot, but if you manage to build them, you can then run Representative Government, which does wonders for happiness and research. And if you should have the bad fortune to lose the race for the Pyramids, you will at least have generated some nice research money. Either way, researching Priesthood to build the Oracle should be an early priority, but after that, I'd research Iron Working and then Hunting, Archery and Pottery. We should probably build some nice cottages fairly early.

The second city should be set to build a monument, then a worker, then a warrior/archer and then a new settler.

Now, I'd be very surprised if other people did not have other ideas! Let's hear them! I'm all ears.

Also, by previous experience there is usually at least someone who can't participate in any given run, so waiting on the replacement bench usually does not last too long.

OK - I couldn't resist. I started playing. Here is my attempt.

Spoiler :
4000 B.C.: founded London, began to research Mysticism. Building a warrior. There are more jewels inside the fat cross.
3880: Popped a tribal village and was given Sailing! We should found a coastal city soon. Fortunately, the coast is not far off.
3680: Discovered Mysticism and began to research Polytheism.
3660: Met Cyrus. Warrior built - started building Stonehenge.
3560: Popped hostile barbarians from another tribal village. They killed my warrior exploration team.
3440: The city expanded. There is sugar east of London.
3400: Buddhism was founded in a distant land.
3280: Population in London reached 3. Switched to building settler unit.
3240: Hinduism founded in London. Converted to it. Began to research Agriculture.
3120: My second warrior team, which I sent exploring not too far from the city, survived simultaneous attacks by lions and panthers. They got a Woodsman I promotion out of it.
3000: Met Mao. The warrior unit survived an attack by lions, but no promotion.
2920: Discovered Agriculture. Began to research Animal Husbandry.
2760: Cyrus adopts Slavery.
2560: Built settler. Started to buld new warrior. In the buiding queue: a worker, then resume building Stonehenge. York should build a settler to found a costal city soon. It would be a pity not to exploit the discovery of Sailing.
2520: Discovered AH. Because of the lalk of a river between London and new city site, began to research the Wheel.
2400: founded York. There is a tribal village to the south of it.

http://forums.civfanatics.com/uploads/61698/Elizabeth_the_Cultured_jevind_BC-2400.CivWarlordsSave

OK - I'm re-rolling this map.

Apologies, but this one would serve no purpose.

{Edit} New map now downloadable from OP. Apologies to Mutineer and Öjevind for consuming their time. :blush: {/Edit}

waaaaaaah. we can't irrigate or pasture! well, i'll probably still do my "found a religion then go to alphabet and hope somebody trades with me" thing and my capital will be like size 2 by the time y'all have conquered 4 entire empires :lol:. i can work the lake without worker techs ;).

Well I'm not sure if we've gone from one extreme to the other! Let's just say that you're likely to meet a few AI tribes fairly quickly. :shifty:

... and 'yes' - you can work the lake :).

Cabert , if you don't play I hope you lurk and give advice. It seems you are familiar with cultural victory.

sure.
Gven this set up, you almost need to go for religions, since your neighbours won't.
You also need to expand fast enough (cottageable/high commerce) for 9 cities. This can be done by war, but peaceful is easier/better diplomatically.

well, i'll probably still do my "found a religion then go to alphabet and hope somebody trades with me" thing

Well I'm not sure if we've gone from one extreme to the other! Let's just say that you're likely to meet a few AI tribes fairly quickly. :shifty:

ah, but see ... i didn't say meeting them was what i hoped for. i hope that they'll trade with me. BIG difference ;).

You also need to expand fast enough (cottageable/high commerce) for 9 cities. This can be done by war, but peaceful is easier/better diplomatically.

well, easier might depend on the opponents! it'll be wicked fun to see how we all approach it. i know my favorite trait for cultural games is spiritual, every time i play as liz i miss it so dearly. she's great at it, an excellent choice, i just really use spiritual a lot in diplomacy to manipulate their heads off and that's not as easy to do with her.

i'll be out of town and have less internet access the last weeks of july, but would only need a skip one of those weeks. the last week of july i'll be on vacation, but with my dad who's a major civ addict so he'll have his laptop. he even still pays for my family vacations, and i'm supposedly a grown-up by now, how cool is that?

sure.
Gven this set up, you almost need to go for religions, since your neighbours won't.

Hey Cabert, if you aren't playing. what about acting as the returning officer for the first round?

OK - here's my new save! [SIGH]

Spoiler :
This really *is* tough! Augustus apparently lives next door; he has already founded a city near London. I am trying to establish my settler west of it, though if my save is chosen, feel free to send it to some other location... I just want that gold; the other gold tile is so close we can settle it any time we want to. The settlement site I sent the settler to is by a rivermouth, with seafood, gold and wheat in the fat cross.
4000 BC: founded London. Building warrior. Researching Mysticism.
3824: Popped 43 gold from a tribal village.
3720: Discovered Mysticism. Began to research Polytheism.
3640: My exploring warrior survived attacking panthers.
3520: Built warrior in London. Started building Stonehenge.
3440: My warrior in London sent to do some nearby exploration and popped a tribal village with 33 gold in it. My original exploring warrior survived attacking lions and gained a Woodsman I promotion.
3280: Encountered Washington.
3240: Discovered Polytheism and converted to Hinduism. Began to research Agriculture.
3200: Since my pop now had reached 3, switched to building warrior, with settler next in building queue.
3160: Exploring warrior survived attacking lions. Wow,the beasts are out in force! Beware of bears - my warriors have managed to sneak away from them so far.
3080: Warrior explorer out of London entered a tribal village and gained two promotions. Spent them on Combat I and II. This one is going to garrison a city soon.
3040: Encountered Augustus.
3000: Warrior built in London. Now building settler.
2880: Researched Agriculture. Now researching Hunting.
2680: Researched Hunting, now researching Archery. (Both Augustus and Washington already have archers - not good.)
2520: Original explorer warrior survived attacking wolvs and gained Woodsman II promotion.
Buddhism founded in a distant land.
2400: Finished researching Archery. Now researching Bronze Working.
Romans have founded a city near London!
Settler built. Sending it to a location beyond the Roman settlement. Maybe we can somehow flip the Roman city. Map begins to feel crowded already, though there seems to be lots of space to the south. Both Auggie and Washington live to the west of us, though I don't yet know exactly where Auggie lives. Too near us for comfort, I'd say. I *hate* having that creative man as a neighbour. It would perhaps be better to send the settler south to block Auggie from expanding in that direction.
Building worker, with Stonehenge next in building queue. In this situation, Stonehenge might be useful not only for giving us a Great Prophet for a shrine, but perhaps also for enough culture to make the Roman settlement flip to us.

http://forums.civfanatics.com/uploads/61698/Elizabeth_the_Cultured_jevind_L_BC-2400.CivWarlordsSave

Top Bottom