G-III Omicron

Tone

Deity
Hall of Fame Staff
Welcome to the latest gauntlet for HOF III. It's been a little while since we've had a culture fest so the conditions are:

• Mapsize: Small
  • Difficulty: Monarch
  • Condition: 100K

Have your submissions in by July 14th, and good luck.

:bounce: Oh! Oh! :bounce: Pick me! Pick me! :bounce:

(just started a Huge Emp run though so will start this a bit later!)

sub 1000AD would be a reasonable result, but I think it will take sub 900AD to win it.

Hmm, Feud-type games leave me cold. There's plenty of room on the table, so I might try for a late-win 5CC. Not sure if 16k is a big ask at Monarch.

I suspect that would be rather difficult. I've yet to manage more than three 20k cities at Regent or above.

messed up my Huge emperor run by starting with 6 opponents (oops!) Only made it to 1000BC before I realised. (no SGL's though so no great loss).

Having a go at this with Portgual, England and the Hittites (that should slow down the initial trading! and makes sure that the first one I see has pottery) 5bn, 60% pangea, normal water, normal temp. Straight for Slingshot, (the other option is to go for Masonry first in the hope of an SGL.) Should get an SGL chance from Writing, COL, Philo, Republic, Lit, Currency and construction. That gives a 30.2% chance of at least 1 GSL in the Ancient age. (the problem is you really need two otherwise I will be handbuilding the ToA). I will research to Gunpowder and then stop unless I need MT(muskets are good for shortrushing Cathedrals) and probably switch in and out of feudalism and republic so that I can cash and pop rush.

I made a slapdash attempt last night, 5CC seems very doable.

I just want a start with Ivory so when the Zulu come calling, I have more than cardboard cut-out military.

Dont' build ToA. On Monarch, one of your opponents will build it for you. Expand, then go take it from them if you really want it. You will have to go to war at some time anyway.

I made a slapdash attempt last night, 5CC seems very doable.
Sounds tempting. If I can actually find some time to play a game of civ I think that this is what I'll try. Maybe we can have our own unofficial subdivision, Bartleby! :)

Sounds good Tone. An advantage of five cities all building Wonders is that large chunks of the game pass fairly quickly, handy if you're short of time.

Yeah, I've copied Bamspeedy's game a number of times. On Monarch level, however, 5 x 20 is extremely tough (I'd go as far as to say impossible for me). But 5 x 16 on average appears, from my one test game, to be quite feasible. The 4k sink that the extra city provides should be very handy.

I have a a 3x20k 3cc in the HoF (large warlord #10) and my #9 Chieftain Histographic game had 5 20k cities (but was't a 5cc).
I had a 3cc 60k (tiny chieftain) but that's gone.

ok. Am going to set up mapfinder tonight to run overnight.

I'm going to try babylon, on large continents, with no civs that build much culture. I figure I'll expand for awhile, then wipe out whoever shares my continent, then ICS and build a lot of culture.

Yeah, I've copied Bamspeedy's game a number of times. On Monarch level, however, 5 x 20 is extremely tough (I'd go as far as to say impossible for me). But 5 x 16 on average appears, from my one test game, to be quite feasible. The 4k sink that the extra city provides should be very handy.
I'm not sure that I could have managed a 4*20K game at this level. This is my 5CC result:

I expect that a conventional attempt at this will beat this by 1000 years. :lol:

I think that I'd like to try a 4*20K game on a lower level. If I do I'll be more careful not to let my capital race away but it's tougher to stop than I realised.

Excellent game, Tone. Since all five of your cities would reach 20k before 2050 AD, what are your thoughts about 5 x 20 on Standard, at Monarch Level?

Dont' build ToA. On Monarch, one of your opponents will build it for you. Expand, then go take it from them if you really want it. You will have to go to war at some time anyway.

They don't build it fast enough (or reliably enough, or close enough) I'm going to do a run handbuilding if I need to, (probably pyramids and ToA) and then do some runs aiming for at least 1 AA SGL.

My early tech strategy seems to be working. Research Masonry first, then trade CB for pot and masonry for alpha (cash adjustment usually needed or second contact) BW is worthless as they all research that first.

Since all five of your cities would reach 20k before 2050 AD, what are your thoughts about 5 x 20 on Standard, at Monarch Level?
Well I'm really no expert at this but it might be possible. As you know, I'm trying my first dual culture game on Warlord and the building of wonders is no problem. (I've snagged every one of them!)

It might be that getting the timing so that they stay in synch is a greater issue. Clearly missing out on a few wonders is of no concern but more civs means a greater tech rate and more cascades maybe? I did that Monarch game without getting any SGLs before the Modern Times though so maybe they would help. If I get this Warlord game sorted then it might be worth a try. However I feel that having set up this gauntlet I should have at least one attempt that is a suitable (i.e. fastest finsh) attempt.

I do like these limited cities games though. I can experience being a builder and then when the AIs start to get too powerful I just unleash my military and have fun in a different way. What more could anyone want?!!!

Well it all went horribly wrong.

OK so I was running light on military
OK so I didn't take the portuguese seriously when they landed a single warrior next to my capital
Initially I didn't mind that after the portuguese took my capital, my capital jumped to the centre of my territory, reduced corruption I thought, saves me a palace jump I thought.

One small problem is that my city that was 4 turns from the ToA now had 90% corruption, would now, after much reallocation take 87 turns. (which was after the finish date I had hoped for!)

Nevermind - new start rolled, and the tech plan worked again - meet the hittites trade CB for Pottery. Research masonry trade masonry for Alphabet (after 1 turn research and with 6G to even up the cost)

Top Bottom