• Worker

Votes: 79 52.0%
  • Monument

Votes: 2 1.3%
  • Barracks

Votes: 6 3.9%

• Total voters
Play Noble or Prince
I usually try worker/warrior/settler. But it depends on many factors (leader traits, terrain, you know...)
I'm curious to see how it turns out though.
Another good question would be : what is the second thing you build ?

In my first city, Usually i go for warrior. If I have valuable resources I can claim nearby (Ivory, wheat, corn, etc.) I'll make a worker first. Warriors allow the city to grow more and provide early defense/exploration. I go with Warrior worker settler on average.

Work Boat, without a doubt.

Unless, of course, you can't. In which case see above for other answers. :)

Wodan

I always build worker or work boat first. The exception is Huayna Capac, I start building Quechua no end, the worker I steal.

I normally start with Barracks, then switch to a worker so that it is ready once I have both Bronze Working and Agriculture. I then go back to the Barracks. Second Worker is built to be available once Wheel and Pottery are complete. Then a Settler to coordinate with Animal Husbandry. At that point I start churning out Axemen. That worked well until I got to Prince

1st choice: Work boat - if a sea resource available
2nd choice: Worker - if he has something to do already or after the next tech
3rd choice: Suppose it would have to be a warrior

Scout. :0 Exploring is fun.

I'm really glad im reading about this because i always built a settler first and thought it was sooooooooooo slow. There are so many better options that i never thought of that should work so much better than sitting around for 25-50 turns on a single unit.

I usually start with Barracks and build it until my city reach size 2. Then I switch to a Worker or a Work Boat depending on my start position or perhaps both. After that I continue with my Barracks, a couple of strong Warriors and my first Settler. This works fine on Prince.

It is so situation dependant I can't possibly give an answer.

I usually start with Barracks and build it until my city reach size 2. Then I switch to a Worker or a Work Boat depending on my start position or perhaps both.

Why wouldn't you just build the work boat from the get-go, since population growth still occurs while building a work boat?

But, if I'm not building a work boat, I do the same thing, except I'll usually build a warrior instead of the barracks at first.

Why start with a worker? You're going to need a warrior to fend off barbs in your second city anyways. Might as well be at least size two before committing to a worker to improve resources for a settler.

I've been playing a lot of marathon games recently, and with workers often having nothing to do, Scout first is ideal, given Hunting.

I generally think worker first is a poor choice. You spend X turns not growing, and all you get (after making a farm) is +1 food. The same amount of turns will grow to pop 2, which will give you minimum 2 food/hammers, probably more, and probably extra commerce to boot (which is even more important). Plus, after you're pop 2 or 3, you can crank out the worker a lot faster. And, as others have pointed out, by then you have more techs to let the worker have more to do.

Wodan

I never start with a worker. Half the time you can't even use them effectively, especially if you try for an early religion.

Work boat is always my first choice (when possible). Warrior if it is not.

Top Bottom