2007 August GOTM

Dack

Terra Form
August 2007
Level: King
It’s 1755 soon they will come. This civilization has never had visitors and went complacent never worrying about defense. If you are going to survive armor and bombers would be handy. Often I play this way conquer my island and develop advances to have adequate firepower for adventures. This is one of those few instances for me where another civilization has out paced my development. So now it is a race to hold on to your cities while doing catch up.

Attachments

• GOTMaug07.zip
    21.4 KB · Views: 333
Many thanks for the game, Dack. This is classic Civ at its finest, save for those errant Militia units!

If memory serves, when in the underdog role it is useful to take the fight to the (ueber-advanced) enemy by way of small-scale disruptive raids on their home territories, slipping in diplomats for the occasional tech acquisition. First, however, to get my Military-Industrial Complex in order .... (under Murphy's guiding hand, the Library in Coventry was immediately dispatched by an earthquake ...).

Once more into the breach ... such fun!

Spoiler :
The bad news:
The French arrived upon my shore with armor and mechanized infantry unit. Had to make peace with them.
Mongols arrived with a Cavalry unit.
The Babylonians took my capital.
Communism has negated the power of the Pyramids
The French have destroyed the Aztecs so now will they come after me.

The good news:
The tank was disbanded.
Took back the capitol
I bribed the Mech. Inf. and the Cavalry the price was cheep.
I have the Cure for Cancer and Women’s Suffrage making war an option at Republic or Democracy.
I have a battleship but the senate won’t let me blast a Mongol trireme.

Current status:
Trying to get to advance flight.
Been building and selling barracks to support the civilization so I can keep the light bulb production going.
I need to get into a war situation without going into anarchy

Spoiler :
Sneak attack by Mongol forces! - They attacked my Battleship with a Trireme. Oh happy day!.

Spoiler :
Saw a French bomber fly past my Battleship.

Spoiler :
Babylonians land an armor unit killed it with a bomber.
I have a diplomat, cannon and cavalry wandering around the Mongol’s Island looking to pick up some of the lesser advances.
French build the Apollo wonder

Spoiler :
Captured Ellipi from the Babylonians gaining communism in the bargain now I should be able to move on to Mech Inf.
Somewhere in the last few moves I lost my expeditionary forces in Mongol land, but I still have a diplomat there. It should pick up another lesser advance so I can start stealing from the big boys.

Spoiler :
Now the most dreaded announcement
French build space ship
I will have to attack them take out their capitol.

Spoiler :
Babylon falls and I get Nuclear Fission.
I have found the French capitol, nicely linked by railroads with two other cities. Three nukes and a bunch of Mech Inf will cripple their spaceship project.

Spoiler :
Babylonians are reduced to two cities on their home island. The French have captured one. I think I’ll take one more and then start working on the plan to take the French capitol. The French have 8 structural parts of their spaceship built. The Mongols are being very inoffensive; I did run across one of their triremes with a battleship, oops!

Spoiler :
Babylonians had another city hidden in the mist. (I miss not having the Apollo wonder). They brought out a fighter and got four of my bombers. I had to buy one their cities

Spoiler :
Sneak attack by French forces! – Maybe I shouldn’t have blocked the Babylonian port city they had captured.

Found another Babylonian city. They are reduced to two on their home island. I am sure of this!

I am building nuclear devices

Spoiler :
Babylonians fall with the purchase of their last city; all my bombardments resulted in lost units.

Now at last to turn my interest to the French, their spaceship is still at eight structural pieces.

I have a nuclear unit soon to have three more. Too bad my air force is down to two units.
The Mongols seen to have outpost on a lot of islands

Spoiler :
Lost a battleship to a trireme.

Spoiler :
French build their first fuel tank for their spaceship.

Spoiler :
French build their first engine for their spaceship.

Spoiler :
An attack against the French port of Chapultepec.
Chapultepec and Chartres fall.

Spoiler :
Paris, Orleans, Lyons fall with a scar of pollution across their island .

Spoiler :
The home island of the French has been captured. Occupying the city that contains the Apollo wonder does not seem to pass along to the captor the ability to see all cities. The French have one or more cities elsewhere. I’ve seen bombers flying by. The Mongols seem big but backwards. I did have a global warming event still trying to clean up the mess on the French island.

Spoiler :
Inattentiveness to happiness has caused my civilization to go into anarchy
The French still have a unfound city

Spoiler :
Got democracy back

Spoiler :

French are gone

Spoiler :
Your civilization has conquered the entire planet!
Citizens 481
Achievements 420
Bonus Score 1188
Rating: 95%

Pikachu has returned!

I played this GOTM today. It was quite interesting to take over a strangely governed civilization in the middle of the game.

Spoiler :

In the beginning the English civilization desperately needed to improve the economy. We started by connecting all the cities with railroads while we continued to build improvements in the English cities and started a little naval exploration. We reached the Babylonian continent and found some very interesting trade opportunities over there, but before we could build up the trade with Babylonia which the English economy needed to survive, we had to take care of the French battleships and cruisers which appeared in the seas between the two continents.

We sent some troops and diplomats over to Babylonia to steal as many technologies from them as possible. With good help from a French naval unit we even succeeded in capturing a Babylonian city! Now the English too could build battleships, and soon enough we controlled the sea between England and Babylonia. Many trade routes were established and the English economy started to flourish. When we got tanks in our arsenal we started to attack and capture some French cities, but we soon decided to go for a space race victory instead.

In 1875 a spaceship with 10000 English colonists departed for Alpha Centauri with estimated arrival in 1887. Surprisingly the French also launched a nearly identical space ship later the same year, but the English were confident that our spaceship would arrive first. After all we did launch it before the French, and the two ships had identical estimated journey times. There were celebrations all over the English empire while the space victory animation was playing:

“In the year 1875 voyagers from the planet Earth set fourth on a journey of cosmic exploration.
A spaceship populated by 10000 French colonists…”

French? :eek:
What the heck?
:mad:

So I lost the game with the closest margin possible. A space race loss in 1887 AD.
Final score: 338.

Attachments

• Pikachu%20Aug07.zip
    75.8 KB · Views: 274
Can I still score on Dack's GOTM? I will try to get a hold on that Hall of Fame :D

Yes you can! Please play this GOTM, and remember to post your results here :)

Tonight i shall play this GOTM . Thanks Dack and everyone, i shall report my deeds!!

I was playing yesterday the GOTM August!! Real hard, seemed to me. I have began a story...but i shall lose, i am afraid. French are building the Spaceship fast, and i have not still found their capitol.

Even if i lose i shall post my saved games and story...

real fun Dack , to play this scenario (even more fun winning it, i guess)

Hello again folks :)

I have been playing further today. REAL FUN :goodjob: I am winning now!!

I post first of all, the story i began to write yesterday while i was playing this great Dack's "scenario" (Is that correct in english? I am Catalan, from Barcelona)

Here it goes...

The tale of President Dani August​

As i began playing, i noticed the gold mines near Exeter, and the low military power of we English people. I was determined to rule the English and lead them to Civilization finesse…the game started there!

My first move was to inspect all the cities production roster. I, as a promise to the English of future military domination, changed all the universities and cathedrals, not still needed in conatruction to military units, like musketeers and cannons, plus the Ironclad “HMS August”, which was fleeted in the east coast of the English Islands. As future came to English people, I hit “return” and went to the next turn.

I have been developing techs, and building up the great Hoover Dam to give energy to all cities in English Islands. I have been attacked by a ironclad unit, where i am building the hoover dam, in London, my Capitol!! The ironclad was blue…I suspect Germans. (I would find later them to be French, the worst scourge in the world :D )

At the same time, the ironclad “HMS August” has discovered two big and fertile islands to the east…that’s the good news. The bad news, they have been reported as not desert but habited, and at least one city has been spotted. HMS August sent radio reports about destroying units of phalanxes and cavalries…I am planning colonizing these new lands, because the English Islands are not safe now. Strange sailing artifacts called “Submarines” sail north of London , free to roam. While I was deeply concerned one new came to my relief. We could use Steel now and so, Battleships were at our disposal. I sent immediate orders to London to a Battleship to be built when the Hoover Dam was finished.

Then came the armor, disembarking near London. I was terrified!!. I tried to gather up my resources. While taking profit of the inner citie's newly built factories, I began to send first musketeers, later riflemen, and invest in city walls. I was considering to lower my tech rate (0.5.5 usually, or variations of 10 or 20% around that) so as to build my city walls faster…when travelers told us about the development of the Manhattan and Apollo projects.

Then my decision was made. We would smite the French with nuclear weapons.

-pause in real life, to have lunch and see TV with girlfriend-

-I resume here since i wrote no more yesterday-

With the battleships, i soon found the norther big continent, that seemed to be torn by a war between the Babylonians and Mongol invaders (my eastern neighbour) I managed to capture two big coastal cities, even a French one using nuclears and disembarking with riflemen (just developed).

All got worse when the french began to build their spaceship like mad, building 4 or 5 structurals in the same turn. They even launched it. I was nearly hopeless when i found a new continent, where orleans and other big french cities stood. I quickly nuked their inner cities and bombarded from the sea their coastal ones. With 3 years left to reach ALPHA, we entered Paris and the Spaceship returned to Earth, unable to reach its goal.

Now the things are different, we are in posession of Paris, the capitol city of those French, and Mongols are on the rise. I shall try to finish fast the french and leave the zulus, mongols and aztecs nerfed but alive.

I shall keep reporting, and of course, post my saved game!

Tonigh or tomorrow, my saved game and map file!! I have won this great scenario, and i am eager to play more!!!

Anyone was interested by the tale?

:king:

Khilak - I was very interested in your tale! In my most humblest of opinions, this was a great scenario (aka GotM); I only wish I had taken the time to complete it (future's wide open, no?). It is especially interesting because the Brits are behind (intentional, Dack?), and to pull it off requires some special finesse in the face of specific strategic constraints. Good show!

intentional, Dack?
I seem to play one or the other of two different games. One, I am on an island so small that I wouldn’t be able to develop any reasonable civilization or in the process of clearing the island that I find my self with too many units. In that case it seems like a waste to disband all the units so I go sailing to conquer the world. This is usually with catapults and a few chariots, early conquest mode. Or two after riding my Island of others I settle into democracy waiting until I have artillery and advanced flight before making a move on the others. This game was a type two but I guess it took so long to clear the island that the other civilizations out paced me in advances. For some reason I began writing down the steps that I took (see entry 2).

It seemed like too much fun to keep it to myself. I’m glad you enjoyed it.

I shall post my saveds just like Screech so Pikachu can rate us in the HOF :D

Good!! I am planning to begin the "Reef barrier" this night (i guess it was created by Goldberg)

I shall post my saveds just like Screech so Pikachu can rate us in the HOF :D

Good!! I am planning to begin the "Reef barrier" this night (i guess it was created by Goldberg)
It is good to see that someone is interested in actually playing more than one GOTM :goodjob:

Save games should be posted in this thread. Please post the rest of your tale too. It is very interesting to see how other people solve the challenges in this game. I had a lot of fun playing it myself. Even though I lost it, but it was such a close race :love:

DACK'S SCENARIO (GOTM AUGUST 2007)

Hey folks! Finally finished the game!!

The rest of the tale, in order to play "reef barrier" soon, i shall make it short:

When i had occupied the French's cities (not all, they have something hidden out there) i took care of Babylonians, because they began to build the Spaceship!! I bought ALL their cities in no time, because i decided that while we were building the spaceship, we needed no longer to improve tech, what we needed was money to build factories and Mfg plants abroad! So taxes were invested in that issues and soon industry was inset in British economy.

Bad news, 3 or 4 global warming events, result of English's people lazyness in cleaning all the pollution that came with war in the French and Aztec continent.

And now, just as i launched the ship and waited for it to land, cleaning pollution in the meanwhle (and reaching future tech 3, using all that money not needed in new factories and buying cities)

And the best part of all, the files are in the message!!

I proceed with "Reef Barrier". Pikachu, get ready your stylo to count my points
:goodjob:
:king:
See you 'round here

Attachments

• CIVIL0.MAP
    15.2 KB · Views: 254
  • CIVIL0.SVE
    37 KB · Views: 302
  • REPLAY.TXT
    16.6 KB · Views: 202
I finished this scenario with the SS landing at AC. I think the year was 1892, and my score was 339, rating 31%. I'll post the files tonight.

I never left the island. I just built cannons so I could destory anything that landed. Also built battleships in my port cities for the same reason. I had to discover Space Flight the long way. Something I noticed after a try or two was that almost immediately after the building of Apollo, the French began their SS construction. It's tough to out-race them. I succeeded on the third try. Once I discovered Robotics (now can build all 3 SS parts), I went to 100% tax and sold all libraries/universities. I waited until I had enough money to buy the 3 modules, then built Apollo in 1 turn (had 12 caravans ready and waiting). Bought the modules, and built the components and structuals. The French didn't stand a chance at beating me to it.

On another note, I tried this scenario by world conquest as well. Knowing I needed to build armor in a hurry, when the French landed I vacated London and actually let them walk right in! I then immediately re-captured it and took Automobile. I then built hoardes of Armor and transported them. First I conquered the Babylonians, then the Mongols. I think this was a mistake - I should've gone after the French before the Mongols. The French are nearly impenetrable, and I gave up.

Interesting note - in the conquest attempt, the city of Ellipi (under my rule) admired the prosperity of Paris and turned French (not from enemy diplomat, all on its own). What really hurt was that Ellipi was where I was storing all of that continent's armor units for naval pickup. So the French immediately had armies there. The good news was that I held my ground, and when I recaptured Ellipi I took Advanced Flight.

I'm pretty busy the next couple of weeks, and likely won't revisit this scenario. So tonight I'll post my SS game and call it a GOTM.

Iguess you beated me, then!! I think i got the SS in 19xx to ALPHA, so you are fastest and thus, winner :D

I did not think of that great tactic, let them capture one of your cities and then recapture it :D

Just a word , Screech

The french cities are hard, but they could not stop my NUCLEAR HEADS! i conquered them using nuclears (bad news, polar caps melt!)

It was real exciting and fun to play, something different of the typical CIV game

Top Bottom