Chinese Unification - Qin Shi Huang

Yuming

Chieftain
Chinese Unification - Qin Shi Huang

Hello.

I am Yuming. I am new to the forums; having been a long-time lurker, I have finally decided to contribute something for a change.

My contribution will be a walkthrough/story of the rise of the kingdom of Qin, in the Chinese Unification Scenario and this thread will cover it. This is because I noticed that whereas there are plenty of other stories around thanks to Sisiutil and aelf and others, there is no-one covering the amazing, and often overlooked Chinese Unification Scenario.

I will play this game through right to the end, whatever the circumstances (win or lose) since I notice that many people just do not bother to finish their threads. This is very annoying and so I promise to finish mine.

So far, the game settings are:

Leader: Qin Shi Huang
Difficulty: Emperor
Civ Version: Warlords 2.08 patch

I also want to bring some history into it. Therefore, the AI attitudes to each other will be tweaked (using the World Builder) so that they are in line with real history.

The exact details of the game will be posted later.

If anyone likes the idea, please reply.
Being a new poster (this is my first, rather ambitious, post), I'm going to need all the encouragement I get!

(NEW!) Contents:

Pre-Game (Is below)
Part I - Laying the Foundations (First 20 turns) (also below)
Part II - The Peaceful Rise (next 20 turns - 430BC to 410BC) (this is below too - the thread got off to a slow start)
Part III - Prosperity (next 10 turns - 410BC to 400BC) (This is on the next page)
Part IV - Expansion (next 20 turns - 400BC to 380BC)
Part V - Expansion Part II (next 10 turns - 380BC to 370BC)

Welcome to the forums! [party]

I look forward to reading this. Good luck!

Thanks for the support so far:)

I've finally started the game and so the story begins...

"Despite its place as one of the world's oldest civilizations, China has never seen a common ruler.

The year is 450 BC and a fragmented nation seeks a powerful leader to unite the people and bring glory to East Asia. Commonly referred to as the 'Warring States' period, this era saw a flourishing of culture as well as war - it would not be for another 2,200 years in the Napoleonic Wars that the world would see nations bring such massive armies of millions of men into battle.

A number of changes took place during this time that would shape China and the rest of the world far into the future. A number of philosophies and religions developed, including Daoism, Confucianism and Legalism. Sun Tzu wrote his masterpiece, The Art of War, outlining the road to victory in battle. Society and political organizations were reformed with government offices being given out based on merit rather than family ties. Massive public works projects yielded the fields necessary to feed the largest population in the world while in the north what would become known as the Great Wall was under construction.

Still, China was not brought together by cultural or engineering achievements, but through warfare. There was a shift towards massive infantry armies, mounted soldiers, crossbows and the logistical methods required to field the largest armies ever seen. In the end, it was the state with the biggest and best army that was able to defeat all of its rivals.

The seven Chinese powers which have a shot at victory at the start of the Warring States period are the Qin, Qi, Chu, Yan, Han, Zhao and Wei. Each of them seeks to unify China by any means necessary. While war is the direct route to success, winning through diplomacy is also possible. Should the only surviving civilizations - if any - be among your allies or vassals you will be first to ever take the name: Emperor of China"

That emperor will be:

Qin Shi Huang​

And so the game begins...

Here is a screenshot of the settings (Warlords v2.08 by the way):

The start:

The foreign advisor after I tweaked the AI attitudes towards each other (to match history slightly better):

And the save after being through the World Builder (attached):

Attachments

• Qin Shi Huang BC-0450 diplo-altered.CivWarlordsSave
    69.1 KB · Views: 140
"I've just realised however, that the edited AI attitudes from the World Builder don't seem to have had any effect. I made every AI Civ hate me (-5) except for Qi (In real history, every other 'Civ' was conquered by Qin with much bloodshed but Qi yielded peacefully) but this doesn't seem to have impacted on the foreign advisor at all.

Does anyone have any idea what is happening?

It would be nice to get this sorted out because I had originally wanted the AI attitudes to match real history and I had done some research for this as well so it would be disappointing if my changes have no effect."

This is solved now - see below

In answer to my own post 2.5 hrs ago, I've managed to find a solution to the problem and have now edited the post so that the new screenshot is up. (This screenshot shows that both Chu and Yan are annoyed at me which is what it should be. The old screenshot showed only Yan being annoyed and Han being pleased.)

Look forward to my report of the first ten turns tomorrow!

Qin Shi Huang gazed out of the window at his kingdom.

Land stretched as far as the eye could see. In the distance, beyond the fringes of the city lay some hills to the north and plains to the south. The morning was peaceful and the sun was just beginning to warm up the damp ground. Already, the citizens were bustling around in the city; particularly busy was the area around the river, where tiny sailing boats passed to and fro.

He sighed and walked over to the map his advisors had drawn up. He looked at his empire. It was a good size - four cities and some nice territory. It had potential, he decided: there were horses and also a copper deposit for better weapons. There was a plantation of silks, a plantation of spices and not one but two jade mines to keep the people happy. There was also a source of building rock just outside the capital: it had been used to construct his palace.

Yes, it definitely had potential.
But there was a lot of work to be done. Qin Shi Huang knew that other kingdoms also wanted to rule China but he would have none of it -He was the rightful ruler of China and his kingdom would be the launchpad for his masterplan. Firstly of course, he needed to have a prosperous economy. The winning of territory by force would have to come later.

I played the first 20 turns today. Because nothing much happens in the beginning, the start is quite slow. Here are a few screenshots to show the state of affairs after 10 turns:

As you can see, this is quite a slow start. In future, expect to see the GNP stay below the computer average but expect the crop yield and Mfg goods to be high. Since Qin Shi Huang is Aggressive and Charismatic, having a high production output for armies is essential. For quick mid-term expansion i.e. in 50 turns or so, I've decided to concentrate the earliest few builds on workers and also some granaries and barracks. To avoid being annihilated by barbarians, I turned some of my troops into fog busters - this can be a very risky strategy considering I only had 6 units to begin with.

My general strategy for the future is to aim at getting iron working in the first 50 turns and therefore capturing some cities with swordsmen soon. This could be difficult considering my low GNP output but the Great Classical Library will be a must and I can choose Iron Working as the free technology. (Historically, one of the reasons the Qin were strong is because of their efficient army, all equipped with standard, high quality weapons)

Back to the main story.
Here is another screenshot showing improvements made by workers:

My bloodline spread quite well too, managing to spread to all my cities (but no others unfortunately):

The next 10 turns saw two barbarian attacks and the steady improvement of the economy (in terms of production)

Barbarian attacks:

The second screenshot shows one of the fogbusters after being attacked by barbarians. It is lucky he won. The other barbarian in the first screenshot was threatening to attack an empty city Ping in the north east but thankfully decided to attack my fortified archer in a city instead. Re-inforcements would have made it in time but it gave me a scare all the same - the problem is I don't have enough units to fog bust in the south.

I gifted the Qi some pigs in the hope that they would turn Cautious and allow Open Borders. (I only need one +1 merit to do this) This would give me some nice trade route income.

Here is another shot of the Info screen but in 430BC:

Notice that already, I am first in production.

Another screenshot showing what I have been building in these few turns - four workers and barracks and granaries:

Finally, a screenshot of the empire:

Thus ends the first installment, another arrives in the next few days

Any feedback is welcomed - be it positive or constructive
I would like to hear from any readers who have thoughts on it, bear in mind it is my first attempt at this kind of thing though.

So far, things had gone well, he considered. His people had managed to ward off the barbarian tribes, rewarding the empire with peace and prosperity. His workforce had tripled, building improvements everywhere and bringing many resources under his control.

And the people adored him, respecting him as their greatest leader in every city: he had assumed almost cult status with every city with more than 1000 people having a shrine to the great Qin. He smiled as he listened to the sounds of the streets, albeit muffled by the curtains of his vehicle: the people were cheering for him and the glory of the kingdom. They were happy as the capital had received many of his pioneering improvements over the years: just now a new granary was about to be completed.

Yet still, there was potential for more, and more, and more. Qin Shi Huang looked at the other areas of his map greedily - The Kingdom of Qin had many neighbours and nearly all of them had proved troublesome to deal with. Only the kingdom of Qi had really welcomed him.
The other kingdoms would pay with their necks.

Qin folded up the map carefully. He had taken to carrying it around with him all the time to remind himself of his destiny:

Emperor of China

The next 20 turns went comparatively smoothly since everything turned out well in the end. But as you shall see, I had quite a few close shaves:

In 429BC, two things happened. The first war broke out between Wei (purple) and Zhao (light blue). I also had to deal with my first real barbarian threat:

I was afraid that they would start pillaging since I had nothing that could beat them while they were in the forest. Also, I did not want to waste any units in the attempt to fend them off. I was therefore extremely happy when I survived the attack by fortifying an archer in a nearby forest:

Meanwhile, (I skipped ahead a bit there) I finished researching Bronze Working, my first technology, taking 23 turns. Considering that the game only lasts 200 turns, this seemed to be quite a long time, but my subsequent researches sped up a bit so this is OK.

As a result of Bronze Working, I discovered Iron just outside Qin. (Don't ask me why!) You can also see the barbarian stack of two:

You can see that I started researching Rule of Heaven - this is for the Great Classical Library and also for the civic Bureaucracy which should do much to boost my research. On Emperor difficulty, the AI can literally run away with the research since this is a scenario with

1) a very flat tech tree where each tech is almost essential and also
2) where technology trading is not allowed.

I also made an important civics change: from Primitism and Despotism to Vassalage and Barter Economy.

If you look back at a few of the above screenshots, you'll see that the change not only helped the economy (look at the research times and the change in treasury per turn), but gave me nice bonuses in culture and exp. points for units.

This screenshot (below) in 424BC shows that the research time has come down from 22 turns to 13 turns in a space of 3 turns. This shows the effectiveness of the civic swap. It also shows my first chariot and helpfully an archer that is presenting itself as bait:

Then along came the next barbarian threat:

It wasn't too bad, but then:

My fogbuster died!
He succumbed to the barbarian horsemen at what surely must have been over 80% odds (A fortified, full health: (3) archer with +25% on hill plus another 20% or so for guerrilla 1 vs. an unpromoted asiatic horseman at stength 4)

Oh well, I had to bring troops in from the other cities but in the end, the barbarians decided to throw themselves at my city walls instead of pillaging, allowing me to pick them off one by one:

In the same year that the last of the barbarian wave had been repulsed, my tribute to Qi had come to fruition; ten years of tribute had earned me a +1 merit making Open Borders available!

This meant that instead of having only domestic trade routes, I had foreign ones, boosting my economy and bringing down research times. Although the next screenshot shows my capital, the research details can still be seen at the top of the picture.

The capital is the best commerce city, with the jade mine and also the shamanism (+25% commerce) civic. After the library had been finished, I planned to work the river tiles for the two commerce while my other cities (specifically Hao) concentrated on production.

Then, as expected, one of the fighting powers asked me to join the war:

I refused of course, the Wei were going to be one of my next targets and can become extremely powerful because of their excellent tiles and the traits (Aggressive and Protective) that, combined, make the Wei extremely resilient. Also, I simply couldn't afford a war and definitely did not need anything that could slow down my growth.

Here is the demographics screen at 420BC: (I am going to post the demographics screen every 10 turns for the rest of the story)

The rankings don't look very good but obviously, taking Bronze Working as the first technology is going to mean that my (Calendar) Filial Piety commerce resources take longer to get established. However, I will research Filial Piety after Rule of Heaven.

But later that turn, good and bad news:

I stumbled upon a barbarian city. This is good since it is not there at the start of the scenario meaning that in the long term, it amounts to a free city, saving you the 200 hammers needed for a settler. However, in the short term, that also means more barbarian soldiers to deal with. And the first of those was threatening my first ever chariot!

In between turns, I recieved an offer from Qi:

I accepted straight away! It is an essential to remain on good terms with Qi. We can vassalise him later, he is the most inaccessible and therefore of least value as an enemy. Meanwhile, Open Borders and trades will benefit our economy.

The chariot survived by the way, but another Barbarian threat approached:

A stack of 3!
I hastily moved my recuperating chariot back into the city and moved an archer onto the hill to prevent the pillaging of the mine. I had a stroke of luck here. I survived the attack with minimal losses:

Firstly, the barbarians moved one archer unit closer to the city and then used the remaining two to attack my archer. My archer survived and earned a promotion meaning he could stay safely on the hill, preventing a possible pillaging of the mine. Another archer had arrived to reinforce the city meaning that I had basically survived the attack with no losses. The last archer ended up being killed by my healed chariot in a last-ditch attempt to pillage my pasture in Hao.

In 414BC, I was invited to join the war again but on the side of Zhao. This was slightly more tempting so I checked the foreign advisor to make sure that I could indeed join the war without receiving any diplomatic demerits from friends. My diplomatic tweaking at the start had been very effective and Wei's enemies and friends were indeed what I had pre-determined they should be; their friends were my enemies:

Continued below (becasue of the 20 image limit)

I therefore decided to declare war, the merit earned allowing me to get another Open Borders treaty:

On the same turn, I discovered Rule of Heaven :

and I initiated another trade with Qi (red):

I also gathered some intel about the barbarian city 'Neijiang':

I mobilised my troops in preparation for the attack:

I also started building the Geat Classical Library in Hao, my production city:
(The screenshot also shows my victory over the barbarian archer from the last screenshot)

Battles rage around Neijiang:

And in 410BC, the borders of Xianyang (my capital) pop for the third time. The improvements my workers have made can also be seen.

Demographics and Info:

Note: I now have barracks and granaries in all four cities and I've built a total of 5 workers.

Then, the attack on Neijiang:

Finally, after two chariot vs. archer battles, I captured the city. This city is founded in a pretty good location and anyway I don't even have the choice to raze, not that I want to. This also netted me a tidy sum of gold that allowed me to fund deficit research for a while.

Phew! Finished! The whole post took over 3 hours: I never knew it was so tiring. I had planned to put up the next 10 turns too, but I'm so tired I'll do it tomorrow. I now have even more respect for people who create these things.
I can't even imagine how long it must have taken Sisiutil to create the 'Princes of the Universe' saga for example.

Hope you like it!

Very interesting story, Yuming. Maybe I'll play that scernario too some day...

Very good story thus far. I really enjoy the play by play with the screen shots. Most people engage more in the "story line" behind the game which I like, but overall, the game is what's important. Can't wait to read more. I've always wanted to try this scenario out. How would you rate it amongst the others?

Been very interesting so far, though I havent read many game stories so I can't really compare it, well written though and the screen shots help bring it to life, look forward to the next part.

I'm glad you all like it.
And in answer to Draknith, I would definitely say that this scenario is my favourite and porbably the best of the Warlords Scenarios.

Bad news however:
the new Harry Potter book has distracted me for the whole day and I have stuff to do tomorrow so there will be a bit of waiting before the next installment.

And don't be shy if you have any suggestions for improving my posts. I'd be happy to hear them: this is my first ever attempt at posting remember.

Dear all,

Erm, Ok, I realise that it's been nearly two weeks without an update. :blush:

My excuse is this: I prepared an update, was about to post it and then a whirlwind of events hit me and then it was kinda too late and time for my holiday...

However, the good news is
I'm back!

and a VLU (Very Large Update) will arrive tomorrow:
30 turns, maybe even 40 if you're lucky.

I have 2 questions to ask the community however:

1) Am I using too many screenshots?
(I'm worried people won't be able to load the page e.t.c. especially with dial-up.)
There is also the problem of running out of space on the easy upload system which I prefer (to imageshack for example)

2) How should I split the thread into two pages? (is it possible to control this?)
(Yet again I realise that the page is getting quite large)

Answers A.S.A.P would be appreciated so I can decide how to post the update tomorrow. If any of you have any other suggestions of any sort it would be great too

Thanks!

Top Bottom