Final Frontier Scenario Demo

Thunderfall

Administrator
Administrator
(Although the advertising for the demo says it's 75 turns, it's actually 100. :))

Jon

Today's THE day!!!! :clap: I'm running to my new "ONE MORE TURN" provider and won't sleep for the week-end!!!!

Happily,
Dragon.Jade :-|

Gad, 100 turns . . . Not. Nearly. Enough! :cry:

I preordered from my local GameStop, I figure I'll get it the day after the release . . .

Maybe it's just an effect of the small map and the 100 turn limit, but the scenario seems to move too quickly and too slowly at the same time.

Still, if all the scenarios are this good, I might as well park the CD-ROM in my drive for the next couple of months. :goodjob:

Personally I think it would have been better to just give the whole scenario w/o turn limitations. A lot of games come with demos that have a completely functioning map or scenario. I would line up to buy BTS on release day even if they gave me 90% of it in a demo :D

Hey Firaxis, where can I pay up front for BTS so that I can get a full unlimited Final Frontier Demo now!! :D

This scenario is really great, I love it already. Reminds me of Galactic Civilizations (although I've only ever played the demo for that too). I highly recommend people download this and play to get your Beyond the Sword fix until the game is available.

One thing I noticed is that the game log has a new tab called "Quests" so I assume that is where you can keep track of random event quests during the epic game.

I also noticed some major bugs in the unit statistics, and I hope it's just in the demo. For example Scout ships are supposed to have 2 movement but mine could only move 1. And the tile grid would not appear, which for this scenario is key. Otherwise it's really confusing to tell which "tile" in space you are sitting on or moving into. Because some tiles are harmful to your ships if you move into them (such as radiation fields).

Another thing I noticed: it's difficult in your city screens to get an idea of which are the best planet assignments. The demo does not have a tile automation button for some reason (again, I really hope the full game will). You can't easily view the entire set of planets at one time and see that the best food/hammer/gold spots are being worked.

That said, this is really a great concept for the Civ engine.

The greatsness of this scenario shocked me, it combines the best parts of Civ with Master of Orion, Ascendancy, Deadlock, Sword of the Stars... :clap:

And now I have a myriad of mod ideas! :goodjob:

Wow, what a cool scenario. I hope the actual thing is longer in BTS. They put a lot O' different things in this one. Well done.

I wonder how the map will work for this one, if it's just the same map each time or the location of solar systems and resources will be random. I guess that's easily modded of course.

I wonder how the map will work for this one, if it's just the same map each time or the location of solar systems and resources will be random. I guess that's easily modded of course.

After playing a few games it seems to be randomly created each time.

---

Just curious. Can anyone win a diplomatic victory on any difficulty level? I got to within 3 turns of building the United Planets, and I wasnt even really efficient with my research and hammers. I know I had enough votes to win it. How many turns after it is built before the diplo victory vote is over?

i´m downloading.... keep waiting....
has anyone see civilopedia??? is there only mods information or there is the full civilopedia??
im just curious...

i´m downloading.... keep waiting....
has anyone see civilopedia??? is there only mods information or there is the full civilopedia??
im just curious...

Just the mod's civilpedia, and a limited one at that. I was a little disapointed that the tech quotes and descriptions where just a piece of the mod's story that had little or nothing to do with the actual tech.

Was anyone else having graphics problems?
When my scouts left areas, the "fog of war" effects were having graphics problems: some tiles were much lighter, some tiles were full of rainbow colored spots, etc. Also, The planets in the lower right corner of the City Screen were having graphics issues as well, although they were generally fixed when I selected the problematic planets.
Also, the City Governor panel only seemed to have three buttons, although they were positioned in such a way that I wondered if there should have been more.

Other issues:
Surely the Scout ship should have a speed of 2: it was ridiculous moving 1 tile per turn.
The City Screen seems to indicate that you can use credits to rush buildings, but there is no indication whether this is done through a civic or what.

Was anyone else disappointed by this preview? I thought the mod played entirely too slowly. Although it seemed that I was teching like crazy, units, buildings and city growth were taking entirely too long. *Yawn*

I don't like the demo cause it's 100 turns only, I want the turn limit removed, that way we can play only just one scenario. If they want a turn limit, add in hours then turns!

anyways, I don't like it cause I can't seem to enable cheats in the game, and it's kinda boring in the long run.

Cheating is not so bad...

I tried to mod the techs so I could research them all quickly and therefor see more of FF in action, but the demo seems to check for file changes and then refuses to run..

I suppose I could insert the edited file into the memory after the game starts, but that would be overkill.. i'll just wait until tuesday :)

Top Bottom