BTS - HOF Rules - Game Options Discussion

Denniz

Where's my breakfast?
Hall of Fame Staff
Retired Moderator
Here is what we are thinking the right now.

Game Options:
Code:
[COLOR="Red"]Advanced Start			must be unchecked[/COLOR]
No City Razing			Player's option
No City Flipping From Culture	must be unchecked
City Flipping after Conquest	Player's option
No Barbarians			Player's option
Raging Barbarians		Player's option
Aggressive AI			Player's option
[COLOR="red"]Unrestricted Leaders		must be unchecked[/COLOR]
Random Personalities		Player's option
[COLOR="red"]Choose Religions		Player's option[/COLOR]
No Technology Trading		must be unchecked
[COLOR="red"]No Technology Brokering		must be unchecked[/COLOR]
Permanent Alliances		Player's option
Always War			Player's option
Always Peace			must be unchecked
One City Challenge		Player's option
Permanent War or Peace		must be unchecked
New Random Seed on Reload	must be unchecked
Locked Modified Assets		must be checked
Require complete kills		Player's option
No Vassal States		Player's option
No Tribal Villages		Player's option
[COLOR="red"]No Random Events		[s]must be unchecked[/s][/COLOR][B][COLOR="indigo"] Player's option[/COLOR][/B]
New BTS options in red.

This is your opportunity to make a case, Pro or Con, about the new options.

Please trying to avoid rehashing the pre-BTS game options unless there is some interaction with a new option.

Remember, superslug will make the final decision. ;)

EDIT: We decided to release the first BTS Mod with "No Random Events" as Player's option.
Edit2: fixed reference to "No Random Events" which is currently Player's option in the HOF Mod 3.03.001.

Quotes of some discussion thus far:
... I would love it if you guys would let us use the option of being able to choose any religion.

... We are thinking choosing religion should be player's option. It is not like there is any difference functionally, is there? ...

of course there isnt anything different. thats why i would have been very mad if you didnt let us use it.:lol:

Actually there is :smug: Some of the quests can only be triggered if you have a certain state religion... Not that it would be gamebreaking. On the other hand this would only be a concern if you decide to allow random events...

i say we should be able to do it because it doesnt make much of a difference and many players are tired of seeing hinduism and budhism, the dominant religions. this will give it more flavour and make games more interesting.

I say allow random events :D

None of the events I've gotten so far are anywhere near gamebreaking...misclicking during an invasion has made more of a difference in one of my games than any quests ever did.

The only big option you shouldnt allow because its gamebreaking is the unrestricted leader option.

No technology brokering -- It could be required for a specific gauntlet and then re-visit the issue. From what I understand if you get the tech lead, it's easy to keep it, but if you fall behind you can't catch up. So, this setting is actually harder for the player, I think.

I absolutely want random events! Maybe edit them to take out the "game breakers" (if any), but then add hundreds more in the HOF MOD! Maybe they should occur less often, but I like them. They're no different than popping Bronze Working on the 1st turn--you still have to play your hand skillfully. If goody huts are optional, so random events should be optional. If you add new events, it could be an attraction for new players.

I say allow random events-none of them are gamebreaking(or at least, none of the ones I've seen are)...most of them just add some flavor to the game, while goody huts can sometimes be gamebreaking(at least, on the lower levels), and sometimes a game is decided by a single battle that goes your way or not.

Because of that, I say allow it at the players discretion. It has less impact on the game than the barbarian/vassal/goody huts options do.

the barbarians should be allowed because thats just a part of the game. they make the humann player think harder.

however i think no technology brokering should be alowed because it decreases the ai's advantages and makes the games more fair

except I don't know what the "Unrestricted Leaders" option is (you can have as many opponents as you want?).

The unrestricted leaders option allows you to swap out leaders with nations and such. In other words you could play as Boudica of the Romans.

Why are random events currently unallowed, if I may ask? I'm unsure of the reasoning behind it right now.
I understand that no tech brokering is disallowed because no tech trading has always been disallowed, but I'm not sure the reasoning for random events, since everything else random has always been left up the the player(huts, barbs, vassals)

I'd have "No Random Events" as Player's Option since some people wouldn't like them being forced on.

Why are random events currently unallowed, if I may ask? I'm unsure of the reasoning behind it right now. I understand that no tech brokering is disallowed because no tech trading has always been disallowed, but I'm not sure the reasoning for random events, since everything else random has always been left up the the player(huts, barbs, vassals)

Actually, it's currently forced on.

:blush: ah...well then I'm fine with all the options :blush:

Here I've been thinking this whole time, because I read it wrong, that random events were forced off :lol:

I'm fine with it being players option as well, I just don't want them disallowed :D

All look good to me, except that I have no idea how tech brokering will work, so can't really say either way. Tech brokering must be allowed sounds ok to me though.

Also, I haven't seen enough of quests/random events yet to see what they do. The little I have seen makes me lead toward that one being a player option. Some will only play games with good random events, some will just switch them off so they don't have to think about them. Sort of like the barbarians really. If you're at a level you can use the barbarians to your advantage, you leave them in. If you're worried about them ruining your game, you leave them off. Could maybe do the same thing with random events, with the same different score weighting when counting them for QM. That said, I don't think requiring random events to be on is a big deal.

All look good to me, except that I have no idea how tech brokering will work, so can't really say either way. Tech brokering must be allowed sounds ok to me though.

Also, I haven't seen enough of quests/random events yet to see what they do. The little I have seen makes me lead toward that one being a player option. Some will only play games with good random events, some will just switch them off so they don't have to think about them. Sort of like the barbarians really. If you're at a level you can use the barbarians to your advantage, you leave them in. If you're worried about them ruining your game, you leave them off. Could maybe do the same thing with random events, with the same different score weighting when counting them for QM. That said, I don't think requiring random events to be on is a big deal.

tech brokering is when the ai gets your tech from a trade and then imideatly gifts it to the other ai. why do you think that whenever you traded the ai a tech on their turn, that when it was your turn, everybody had your tech. i say this should be checked so the ai doesnt continue doing this.

The way I look at options is that they should be player's choice unless gamebreaking. With that being said, I agree with the options as they are listed with the exception of the events. With my limited experience with events thus far, I think it would be fine as player's option. I've seen negative and positive events and nothing gamebreaking....where's OSHA for those mining accidents :mischief:

The way I look at options is that they should be player's choice unless gamebreaking. With that being said, I agree with the options as they are listed with the exception of the events. With my limited experience with events thus far, I think it would be fine as player's option. I've seen negative and positive events and nothing gamebreaking....where's OSHA for those mining accidents :mischief:

i disagree with you. the events should be forced because they change the game and how its played so you better start saving up gold because there will be lots of bad ones that need gold to be fixed :lol:

i disagree with you. the events should be forced because they change the game and how its played so you better start saving up gold because there will be lots of bad ones that need gold to be fixed :lol:

Is there any point of these being forced since they are random anyway. One person may go the whole game and get mostly bad events whereas someone else may go through and get mostly good events. Thus leaving it up to players chose would be more reasonable. imo.

I'm hesitant to allow random events. One of the random events I receive stated that all my axemen would automatically earn a free shock promotion at that time. This could be very game breaking, especially if someone is building up an axe rush. I haven't received many events, but than again, I keep restarting games to try new things. ;)

If it was optional, I believe those players going for the best time/score would more than likely have them turned off, as it is too much of a risk to their game.

BTW, the free shock promotion event I got ended up not helping me any, since I didn't have copper at the time, therefore no axemen. :sad:

Top Bottom