(CONFIRMED - game balance) Privateer blockade (Game weakness)

vodlaian

Warlord
Right now there is a game weakness which allows you to blockade cities using privateers from within your own borders and there will never be any repercussions if you have closed borders with that civ.

Solution: Must be within their borders to blockade them.

Right now there is a game weakness which allows you to blockade cities using privateers from within your own borders and there will never be any repercussions if you have closed borders with that civ.

Solution: Must be within their borders to blockade them.

If you were so concerned you'd not pull such a stunt.

What I will say about blockades...it is abit daft that even if I have a naval ship on a particular tile in a blockaded sea area that that tile is still blockaded.

If you were so concerned you'd not pull such a stunt.

Huh? That makes absolutely no sense at all.. How would I show them the weakness without doing it and either taking a screenshot or posting the savegame?

The point is, this is obviously not intended, whether or not this thread offends you for whatever reason, it doesn't change that fact.

Not that I'm implying anything but you do realise that since you have open borders he can still attack and kill your privateer?

So is the issue that you can blockade his city, whilst still being in your own cultural borders? I guess that with "closed borders" it means that he can't attack the privateer without starting a war. I guess the cleanest solution is that a blockade should only work against a city when the blockading unit is in the cultural border of that city. Alternatively: Make it that privateers can't blockade.

I guess the cleanest solution is that a blockade should only work against a city when the blockading unit is in the cultural border of that city.

That screws the possibility of blockading multiple cities from different civilizations in close proximity to eachother with a single ship. You'd need to have one ship in each civ's cultural boundary.

How about disabling blockading within your own cultural boundaries?

That screws the possibility of blockading multiple cities from different civilizations in close proximity to eachother with a single ship. You'd need to have one ship in each civ's cultural boundary.

How about disabling blockading within your own cultural boundaries?
But then the civ might have to declare war on a third-party to break the blockade.

But then the civ might have to declare war on a third-party to break the blockade.

Them's the breaks. Unless right-of-passage is negotiated, the civ with the blockading ship within its boundaries is responsible for fixing the problem, assuming the problem isn't one they're causing.

Or, god forbid, they build their own privateers and send them in to fix the problem without a declaration of war.

Not that I'm implying anything but you do realise that since you have open borders he can still attack and kill your privateer?

The fact is it also works during closed borders and the AI doesn't figure out that the only way to fix this situation is to either declare war on you or send in a bunch of his own privateers. Obviously something like this wouldn't work on an observant human player, but it wouldn't hurt to fix it up.

Here's another pic:

Can the AI be programmed to use Privateers properly? It certainly seems to me that the behaviour described is how Privateers should function, only that the AI should have an effective counter.

Can the AI be programmed to use Privateers properly? It certainly seems to me that the behaviour described is how Privateers should function, only that the AI should have an effective counter.

Why would this be how they should function? It doesn't make sense that a privateer could plunder and blockade a city from within the borders of another country... The distance is way too far if you consider the scale of each square in civ. Or if it's to simulate the ship going back and forth, there should be at least a random chance that you will fail and lose your ship during the simulated attacks..

I guess the cleanest solution is that a blockade should only work against a city when the blockading unit is in the cultural border of that city.

That would be quite acceptable IMO. Make it cultural border of that civ, though.

Another one would be : You are unaffected by any blockading ship that is inside the cultural borders of another civilization with which you have no Open Border Agreement. That would make sense as your trade ships wouldn't go through there anyway.

Pyrion is right, there are options in game to deal with privateers operating from another Civ's borders. What I dislike about it is that it makes no sense. If a privateer is able to capture your regular merchantships surely he must at some point of time be in waters that you may traverse?

IMHO this isn't a bug. It worked like that in RL too!
What's not correct is that the AI can't (or doesn't? I don't know, I don't even have BtS yet) put some defensive navy on the blockaded tiles to "open the trade route".

IMHO this isn't a bug. It worked like that in RL too!
What's not correct is that the AI can't (or doesn't? I don't know, I don't even have BtS yet) put some defensive navy on the blockaded tiles to "open the trade route".

I'm pretty sure you need to kill the offending ship to remove the blockade.

Having a "Deblokkade" function on ships would be an intresting option...

I.e. dont kill the blokking ship but rather deblokkade the blokkade.... Much easier (no chance at losing your boat) and no need for a potential war (like in this case...)

Alternatively... Privateers are supposed to be anonymous right? So the blokkade should go towars your own city as well. Maybe the gold shouldnt even go to your civ, rather the barbs or somesort?

Couldn't they rewrite the blockade function so that it could pass a neutral-foreign border, but couldn't pass a civilization A-civilization B border or a civilization A-neutral border? Thus the area in which the blockade function works is forming along border lines.

If you would blockade from neutral waters, then you could blockade a large area encompassing tiles from multiple civilizations. If you blockade from within your own civilizations borders, then the blockaded area won't pass your borders making it useless. If you blockade from within the borders of civilization A, then the blockaded area won't pass the borders of civilization A and thus you're only blockading cities from civilization A.

The blockaded area would be visible on the map when you perform the mission so that it is clear what area is going to be blockaded.

I'm not convinced it's a bug.
Pirates usually "reloaded" in their "home" cities. Not officially of course, but the king of France certainly would not catch a guy attacking english ships ...
The RL answer to pirates were war ships accompagnying cargo ships.
I think this should be possible in the game too (by having a defensive navy posted in the path).

Top Bottom