[BtS] Jeckel's New Fort ZoC Mod - Alpha

Jeckel

Great Reverend
Alright, I am pretty proud of the mod so far, I've managed to add several new features that help this mod to slide right into civ games and not sit conspicuusly on top of them.

A few highlights, see the spoilers below for more detailed info.
Forts now have cultural borders that extend for one or more tile range from the fort. How far the borders grow out from the fort or shrink into it is based on the number of units fortified inside the fort.

Forts now add culture to their tile and the tiles around them. What tiles inside the forts control area that acual falls under your borders is based on your cultural control of the tile.

You can build forts directly adjecent to friendly forts, but you can not build a fort right next to an enemy fort.

Readme
Spoiler :
New Fort Features:

When a fort is built, it automaticly spawns a Commander unit. This Commander unit will allow you to
access the various abilities of the fort.

The fort Commander will gain/lose levels and Command promotions based on the number
of units that are fortified in the fort. The Command promotions can make the
Commander a very formiable unit.

Through the Commander unit the fort can launch a ranged bombardment attack with a one tile range.

The fort adds culture to the plot it is on and plots that it controls.
The fort plot gets the Commander's level multiplied by 2 each turn.
Controled plots get the Commander's level in culture each turn.

The fort will also extend your cultural borders to a one or more tile range around the fort.
The range of tiles around the fort is determined by the level of the Commander.
The player with the most culture in the plot will get their cultural borders around the tile.

Forts can not be built inside another enemy fort's Zone of Control.

The fort also extends a Zone of Control that limits the movement of units.
The movement restriction breaks down like this:
If the unit can move through Rival Territory then it ignores ZoCs.
If the unit can use Enemy Routes and the move to tile has a route then ZoCs are ignored.
If the move from tile is in a Team ZoC then the unit can move to any surrounding tile.
If the move to tile is in a Team ZoC then the unit can move into it.
If the move from and move to tiles are both in Enemy ZoCs:
If the move to tile contains enemy units the unit can attack into it.
If the move to tile is a fort then the unit can attack/move into it.
Else the unit can't move into the tile.

There is a new Fort Advisor screen: Shift + F5
It will list all your forts and all you to select one or more forts.
Their position will be displayed on a minimap and detailed info about
each fort can be found here.

Change Log
Spoiler :
v0.100
Set up the Mod.

v0.110
Added Commander Unit.

v0.120
Added basic ZoC culture extention by forts.

v0.130
Added basic ZoC movement restrictions.

v0.130
Gave Commander unit ranged bombardment.

v0.140
Tweaked Commander unit, ZoC Culture extention, and ZoC movement restrictions.

v0.150
Added Fort Advisor screen.

v0.160
Allowed forts to be built in non-enemy ZoCs.
Tweak cultural border extension so the forts tile always gets the owner's culture.
Added Command promotions 1 - 5.

v0.170
Fixed glitch that created multiple Commanders when more then one worker builds a fort.
Made fort improvement unpillagable.
When a fort commander is killed the fort bellow him is turned into City Ruins.
Added dynamic cultural borders based on a plot's culture points per player.

v0.180
Removed need to set Commander culture range, but kept the ability to do so.
Commander's command promotions and culture range are now determined by its level.
Commander's level is now determined by the number of units fortifiyed in the fort.
Cleaned up Promotion.xml file so Command promotions are not allowed to any UnitCombat.
Commented most of the python util and eventmanager files and put them in a JFortZoCUtils folder.
Removed the CvModName.py file as there are no config.ini files so it is not used.
Added currentGarrisonCount/nextLevelGarrisonCount to Fort Advisor screen.
Fixed some typos on the Fort Advisor screen.
Made Fort Culture Borders more dynamic now they can extend to more then one tile from the fort.
Updated Fort Advisor screen to show several more pieces of data about forts.

v0.181
Fixed a typo in the Commander init.
Commented out some debug messages.

Version: 0.181
Compatable: BtS v3.02
Released: August, 04, 2007
JFortZoC v0.181b3.02

Bump :D

New version, lots of new stuff in this one, better data on the Fort Advisor screen, a line of Command promotions that the Fort Commander unit can gain. The more units fortified in the Fort the more Command promotions the Commander unit gets. See the OP for more examples of new stuff since the last version.

I've got a few ideas left for the mod, but I could use some sugestions. If you have any ideas about what needs to be done to forts, let me know. :)

I'd love to see a mod or scenario implement this so I can see it in action. Maybe it can find a use in SotM...

Wow cool, I will have to try it out!

woodelf said:
I'd love to see a mod or scenario implement this so I can see it in action.

Hmm, give me a few minutes and I'll whip up some quick test maps. :)

There was a typo error and some spammy messages in v0.180. I fixed them and uploaded v0.181. Check download in OP. Sorry for any inconvience. :)

I would love to see it implemented in Fall from Heven 2. or at least as a mod-mod.

Mind uploading this again (due to the hacking 'incident')?

Yay! Finally a fort worth building! In Civ3 and 4, it has always seemed useless to me, because normally there's a hill or a forest that gives more of a defensive bonus than the fort, and if there's not, I could never find a spot within my culture borders, far away enough from a city so as not to disrupt the economy, and within a strong chokepoint to build it. Now this mod changes that.
Way to go, Jeckel! I was going to work on something like this, now I can implement it in my mod! :goodjob:

If you still check this thread, then it might be good if you can add some abilities to units fortified within the fort and to units trying to destroy the fort. Things such as catapults and archers get more first strikes against enemies outside the fort (if they don't already), and enemies could have certain units perform certain tactics against the fort (such as a siege, sappers, etc.) and maybe forts can train units within their walls.

Top Bottom