Changing the units icons

Do you want the icons to be changed to better ones?

• yes

Votes: 31 70.5%
  • no

Votes: 13 29.5%

• Total voters

Garashta

Chieftain
I propose that the units icons be changed on the upcoming patch, or if you really dont want to part with maybe doing a mod that would channge them?
I now thos icons are same as nato's, an thats coll, but hey, they are damm ugly, not intuitive, and not game like! I really would prefer better icons, wich would tell me easily what units they are.

What do you mean by "better"?

Do you mean more conventional? Honestly, I have not played the mod enough to have an opinion, but I do find the use of NATO to be innovative and a nice change of pace that suits the scenario.

Problem is, as units are added, will there be NATO symbols that go with them?

Please change the background color for land, sea and air. for example, land could stay at grey, sea would be blue, and air would be white or something. It will make it much easier to tell which units are which.

Please change the background color for land, sea and air. for example, land could stay at grey, sea would be blue, and air would be white or something. It will make it much easier to tell which units are which.

I voted no but I think that the above proposition would make things easier to understand.

I voted NO.

I think current icons are way more informative than the conventional game ones. They tell you what type, and how advanced a unit is. This helps with large stacks of units. It also helps with a mod where most civs have unique units so when you move from one to another you don't need time to get familiar with their units.

Still, the suggestion of different background colors for land, naval, and air units is a very good one, it will make the icons even more informative and they would look less ugly.

It's a tie so far! :)

BTW, I haven't voted (it a true representation).

I also like the current icons. (In fact, I wouldn't mind if CIV dropped the resource-hogging pseudo 3-D interface and switched to icons like these on the main map. :p )

An optional modmod with different icons does sound like a good compromise for those who prefer prettiness over functionality.

Voted no for change of icon type.

Would vote yes for a background color difference. Makes glancing at the popups quicker for which troops are where.

I found that I got used to them very quickly especially since I'm only on my second game.

??? How can anyone prefer the grey, nondescript and relatively undifferentiated icons to thumbnail images of what the actual units look like, as in regular Civ?

??? How can anyone prefer the grey, nondescript and relatively undifferentiated icons to thumbnail images of what the actual units look like, as in regular Civ?

Well an abstraction loving psycho like myself :lol:
Anyway it is a matter of personal preferences. I just hope somebody step in and collect some alternative icons into an optional patch so everybody can be happy.

@Dale
Would you please consider having the variable background colors in the next release so the abstract lovers of us can be even happier :)

Edit: Seems we are losing here :eek: - Dale never mind this democracy thing, just do whatever a 3rd world government would do in such case (You know what I mean :D )

Edit: Seems we are losing here :eek: - Dale never mind this democracy thing, just do whatever a 3rd world government would do in such case (You know what I mean :D )

Lucky I'm a Marxist eh? ;)

Unit icons for the next beta.

I changed my mind on the unit icons. I like these better. :p

BTW, the next beta is coming up soon, just want to get some events running for it. :)

....just want to get some events running for it.

So when you say "events", what exactly do you mean? <g> I am looking forward to see what you have done.

As for unit icons... I like the NATO symbols.

I also like to know about these new events. Are they historic ones? It will be nice to have some of the minor incidents of these times that can keep the one a little busy while building-up.

By the way, it is good you got rid of the grey icons all-together. Now the color coding is more pronounced.

To start with, only BtS random events.

Perhaps icons based on authentic collar patches (or roundels, for air units) would be a nice touch. Modern ones can all be found on enwiki, period ones might be a little more difficult.

Top Bottom