Permanent alliance: strategy for culture win on deity

Dracandross

Warlord
This time I'll go for the cultural win with the PA strategy. This guide aims to win after 1400ad on quick and about 1300ad on marathon on good start. Although this works easier for normal+ and usefulness is low on quick. Remember that if you have PA option checked you dont have to form one if it is not beneficial. If you win culture around 1400AD AI wont launch with partner significantly faster.

Permanent alliance will most likely benefit also on lesser difficulties to some extend but its worth is seriously downed as AI won't research so much. Maybe monarch could still pull some worth outta it but not on quick at least!

1) MAPS

Picking map is harder for this style of play. Definitely inland sea is good but I think great plains could be better as on that map you get more religion spread that will affect endgame hugely (Ive gotten all 7 which will mean at least 14 caths easily pre 1400ad). Id pick great plains if going for inca and maybe inland for others as it has more room for cities.

2) Speed
For cultural win quick is easiest because speed is 66% but culture needed is only 50%. But for permanent alliance (PA) you need 40 rounds of defensive pact or shared war to form that almost rules out quick. It is doable with one aggressive civ (that wont start near you) like Monty and then bribe others to war with him or wait till they attack and go along for free rounds. Slower speeds its not a problem. On marathon you can get PA easily around 800 ad.

3) Opponents

You don't want to produce defending units so only 1 aggressive civ is possible if you want to get PA on quick. Id go for standard Mansa, Eliz, Hatty, Wash, Roos, Asoka as I dont like Gandhi but its good too if you need more opps. If going for Inca-rush take max amount of opponents otherwise minimum

4) Own civ

Inca-rush [Ind/Fin] is decent on slower speeds as you get terrace +2 culture and 3 cities in 10 rounds or so. On quick id go for Gandhi (warlord+)/ saladin (vanilla) [Phi/SPi] or Eliz [Fin/Spi]. All but Eliz start with mysticism so aiming for buddhism is quite possible.

5) Teching

Well teching is covered in other culture guildes. Quickly to alpha then maybe sidestep to music. Then to CS-Liberalism. You surely want to get pacifism first for extra religion (well not so needed on great plains). Way to alpha depends on start techs as you could grab buddhism first too with good start with any non eliz civ.

6) Permanent alliance :king:

How to get PA is already discussed before but simply get your relations over +8 if you are last as being behind gives you bonus, +10 if you are leading (status friedly). Bonuses are +1 for peace, +1 for open borders, +4 for trading net +6 easily. Extra can be gotten through religion or def pact/shared war. As opponents are generally friendly you dont get penalties from anywhere. (check out Wasting Time's diplomacy article for extra knowledge if needed)

The point of permanent alliance is to get techs in late game. This will also give you way to rip your partners food resources and money. You can easily get so much money that you can buy 5-10 cathedrals+temples for them.

Techs you can get extra bang are biology (+1 food for farms), electricity (+windmills if you have them even), Democrazy (universal suffrage and maybe democrazy to get towns faster as its +3gold per town), radio/mass media (broadcast tower, +50% culture, wonders too slow most likely), flight (airport for +1 traderoute), way to get voted for Secretary general (+1 trade route, wont lose pacifism to free relig). You also might get other wonders like Statue of Liberty or +2culture per artist (cant rememb name now) that can affect your score.

What you lose is parthenons +50% gpp production, monasteries become obsolete and therefore can't build missionaries, each GP you parther gets nets you +half GP cost for your GPs.

In the end on slower speeds losing few gpps are nothing compared to rushed buildings etc.

7) Picking PA partner & timing it

Most important thing when picking PA partner is that he is not Philosophical as then he'll get GPs so easily and you will lose you own GPs. Next consider that you have GP coming in the next round (to increase his GP cost to slow him down) and if possible he has had GP few rounds ago so that theres not one coming so fast. Also consider wonders already built. Finally check whos leading in tech race and producing most gold/beakers.

Make sure that you have religions that you want already spread and at least one monastery up for them (that is enough as you can rush missionaries). Also if you play spiritual leader you can go for 5 round dip to org religion to get missionaries. That will be worth few gpps again if it nets you 2 religions in 3 culture cities (+3/6 cathedrals and +3 temples for 5 rounds of org rel and 2/4 rounds of building the building than building culture). Specially on the slower speeds.

8) Epilogue

Also worth mentioning is that if you have problems winning on culture due one AI launching with PA there is one less AI to worry about launching! When writing this I had quick culture on 1640 and none was even close launching (standard 6 opps) and on mara 1370 win (standard) and its fastest for marathon! And even though it beat last submission by 100 years it was still just quite bad game. Ill post writeup to be analyzed later. Theres about 100 years to be shaved off that.

(to be edited soon as I get some dates and such right)

-Dracandross

Reserved for future use

1) Statistics for Standard Marathon deity game

Cities: 4 at 2020bc, 6 at 600bc, 9 at 925a + 2 more flipped (took one only)
Ended research 320bc, bulbed philo and most of education
Gpp: 2 scientists, Artists 7, 1 prophet
Cult/turn at 1 ad: 1) 265 2) 231 3) 140
1000ad: 1) 568 (53k) 2) 623 (53k) 3) 424 (64k)
Around 1300 culture output were 800-1k range
Wonders: Stonehenge, Taj Mahal + nationals of course
Religions: Founded Tao, spread 2 bc plus 1125ad and 1170ad, (missed conf by 5 turns)
Cathedrals: 11 (4+4+3)+3 broadcast towers
Def pacts: around 600ad Permanent alliance possible around 800ad but took it 850ad but partner was bad nothing good on it except techs & money of course
Civics anarchies(14r): Slavery (2), Pacifism+HR (3), CivSe (2), FrSp+Csys(3), Uni+FreMa(3), Religions(2)
Firaxis score was bit over 100k which is great for cultural game

What went wrong:
1) Capital position was bad. It had stone+copper+wheat, very many hills and just few grassland and many plains. So it grew slowly and there were not many good cottage positions.
2) First GS popped from capitol but later when i noticed that its so close to get gp i decided to risk artist for 40% and failed for prophet. Not big as almost all of those points were from Stone/Taj.
3) Captured cities (2) were quite good but still there were 1 wheat on other and 1 cow on other on food side. Marble+gold+3 ivory was nice bonus though. Many floods on both to support growth.
3.5) Due slow growth I didnt use slavery as much as there coulda been chances for it.
4) Had to change relig extra time to keep hatty in shape (neighbor) and lost 1 turn due that.
5) Didn't get best out of trades, even as I won liberalism race I was unable to trade printing press early on.
6) PA partner didnt have any good wonders but I decided to pick it because there was nothing to build and waiting religs to spread wasnt good idea. My GP farm was popping artist and I wanted to pump partners gp score up when forming alliance.
7) Teched bit badly and maybe took too much coins out of partner as it slowed research alot. Still ended
8) Took too long to get 9 cities, shoulda made em earlier as I had money for that. I hoped for cultural flip there were so many good cities around but didnt get them fast enough
9) Maybe shoulda settled at least one artist as there was so many caths in the end. Coulda added up for a bit faster win
10) Couldnt even try to get Music first. Also with teching from pottery I was unable to try Parthenon
11) I didn't switch to free speech turn before completing taj (chopped it so it was worth going with bureau) and thought it would be waste to switch 2 turns of anarchy while in Golden Age
12) Still shoulda went for great plains for 7 religion spread...
13) When UN came around 1300 ad I didn't get votes and therefore lost Pac for free rel (didnt matter much maybe few rounds max) but more so didnt get +1 extra trade route

Interesting sidenote: Max opponents, I killed out Eliz while Monty & Cyrus were wasted by other players.

(Ill check saves to fix city numbers later+think of other things that coulda been improved)

-Dracandross

Top Bottom