• Civilization 7 has been announced. For more info please check the forum here .

How powerful is Satan?

Satan is powerful enough to ...

• make bad things happen to bad people

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

El_Machinae

Colour vision since 2018
Retired Moderator
Or whatever spiritual badguy you believe in? I've tried to make a progressive list, but if you think my order is wrong feel free to express it. Of course, I figure you're going to have to have some idea of what 'influences thought'.

More importantly, what evidence have you drawn upon (personal anecdotes, for sure!) to make this conclusion?

I believe there's evil in this world, but no badguy represents it all so he's powerless as far as I'm concerned.

Is this checked or unchecked? Satan only has as much power as The Almighty allows him to have (i.e. enough to give people a choice). When unchecked, I would assert the closest point on your poll is to destroy the earth, and that if God wanted to, none of the options would apply. The current equilibrium IMHO is to affect macro-events.

Whether this is Satan himself or the collective of all fallen angels is also important to consider.

Or whatever spiritual badguy you believe in? I've tried to make a progressive list, but if you think my order is wrong feel free to express it. Of course, I figure you're going to have to have some idea of what 'influences thought'.

More importantly, what evidence have you drawn upon (personal anecdotes, for sure!) to make this conclusion?
As powerful as God allows him to be.

I'm more willing to accept that Satan is powerful because of the good/evil duality makes him equally powerful as God than the premise that God grants him his power. I'd opt not to include either of them in my belief, however.

Is there a known reason why God allows him to be?
Are you asking my personal opinion?

Right, okay. God could allow Satan to defeat Odin. Satan latently has that power, it's just being controlled.

In the day-to-day world, though, how much can Satan affect reality?
Well, how powerful is Odin? :lol:

The Bible doesn't say, exactly, so I'm just sharing my opinion. It's hard to say, and a great deal I think has to do with who he is affecting - I don't think Satan can possess Christians, but I think he can possess non-Christians of God allowed him to. In the Book of Job, it is at least implied that he is responsible for Job's afflictions, including personal health troubles, as well as a natural disaster that kills his children, and several raids by enemies that steal his property.

Could Satan destroy the Earth? I don't know - I don't know how much the spiritual can affect the physical, except in relation to impacting the spiritual that already affects the physical. (IE, impacting human souls) Maybe, if God let him - but God wouldn't, so it's sort of an academic question.

I remember reading Superman (or was it X-men ??) beat Satan multiple times. So Satan is definately not as powerful as Superman (or was it X-men ??)

Again, as powerful as God, or the individual he is trying to influence, allows him to be.

I don't think he is personally responsible for much of the evil in the world - humans are quite good at that - but he is behind part of it. I have no direct experience, as far as I know, with him so this is based off of what scripture says, and my faith isn't riding on it.

As powerful as God allows him to be.

Hmm, I'm curious then, why did God make Satan powerful enough to be able to tempt him for 40 days in the desert?

That doesn't really make sense.. God was testing himself to see how strong his will is?

I don't even think he exists, so I don't think he has any power.

I remember reading Superman (or was it X-men ??) beat Satan multiple times. So Satan is definately not as powerful as Superman (or was it X-men ??)
Satan doesn't exist in the Marvel universe, but there is a demon called "Satannish", IIRC. Couldn't tell you about Superman though.

Top Bottom