UU Mod for RFC

MatthewH86

Chieftain
Hey all!

First off I just want to say that RFC is an awesome mod and thanks to Rhye for spending oodles of time on it! This is probably all I'll be playing for the next few months. Good timing for the start of a new academic year...

I've modded it slightly to make more barbarian/independent/native cities (with garrisons) spawn when the Romans start, since they conquered most of Europe instead of settling it. I've also added some independant cities to Greece so that Greece has an interesting start (Spartans anyone?). Trying to think of ways to coax Greece into attacking Asia Minor instead of turtling.

Atm I'm just concentrating on making some parts of the game more about conquest than settling by the addition of more independent/native/barbarian cities. Long term goal is to add EDU units to all sides and rename them. Eg the Roman Axeman would be renamed Auxilia and made to look like a Swordsman (who's heard of Roman Axemen anyway?).

Latest Download:
http://www.fileden.com/files/2006/8/3/153917/NoxMod_v0.13.zip

Note:
Tested with BtS only!!!

This mod isn't finished, it can be considered 'working' on each successive decimal version. By working I mean all the added units having buttons and other stuff that would be considered standard.
This replaces the following files in order to work:
Code:
+Assets
├+Python
│├+MercenaryUtils
││└─MercenaryUtils.py
│├─Barbs.py
│├─CityNameManager.py
│├─Consts.py
│└─RiseAndFall.py
└+XML
 ├+Art
 │└─CIV4ArtDefines_Unit.xml
 ├+Buildings
 │└─CIV4BuildingInfos.xml
 ├+Civilizations
 │└─CIV4CivilizationInfos.xml
 └+Units
  └─CIV4UnitInfos.xml

Some screenshots!
Spoiler :

v0.13
http://www.fileden.com/files/2006/8/3/153917/NoxMod_v0.13.zip
Changes
Spoiler :

Fixes
Fixed Consts.py so that the Roman UHV was able to be completed
Unbroke the Plague (I never noticed it used to make an Egyptian Embassy instead of the plague building due to my reckless Consts.py editing)

Map changes:
Added the Spartan Capital as a national wonder building for Sparta
Adjusted Independent culture to Greek nonplayer cities to prevent early city flipping
Delayed spawn of Greek nonplayer cities to prevent instant flipping
Karalis is now Carthaginian

Unit changes:
Made it impossible for UUs to appear in mercenary list
Set the building requirement for Spartan Hoplite to Spartan Capital

v0.12
http://www.fileden.com/files/2006/8/3/153917/NoxMod_v0.12.zip
Changes
Spoiler :

Map changes:
Barcelona is now Independent rather than Barbarian so Celtia doesn't attack it

Unit changes:
Removed Equites (Roman Early Cavalry) and put in Essedarii (Chariots) instead even though it isn't historical
UUs have the default icon

v0.11
http://www.fileden.com/files/2006/8/3/153917/NoxMod_v0.11.zip
Changes
Spoiler :

Map changes:
Garrison for all the French Celtic Barbarians are now Celtic Gallic Warriors to deter Rome from taking France too early.
Nationality of Spanish Barbarians is now split between Celtia and Barbarian to reflect actual tribal distribution.
Added Dublin and Inverness to Great Britain.
Sparta moved so that a custom map wasn't needed.
Spartan garrison is now two Spartan Hoplites.
Barbarian raids from France and Spain are now Celtic so that Celtia doesn't absorb the Barbarians and leave Rome alone.

Units Changes:
Set all UUs added to default.
Added Roman equivalents for Longbowman, Crossbowman, Maceman, Pikeman, Chariot, Knight
Added Greek equivalents for Archer, Longbowman, Crossbowman, Swordsman, Maceman, Pikeman, Chariot, Horse Archer and Knight.
Added Spartan Hoplites.
Spartan Hoplites have 100% against Melee, 50% against Mounted and 50% against Archers

v0.10
http://www.fileden.com/files/2006/8/3/153917/NoxMod_v0.10.zip
For anyone who's interested, I've added 5 UUs to Rome. They are as follows:

Spoiler :

Code:
[b]Old Unit[/b]		[b]UU[/b]
Archer			Sagitarii
Spearman		Triarii
Axeman			Auxilia
Chariot			Equites
Horse Archer		Equites Sagitarii

I don't like Natives in Europe. IMHO there should be Independent cities (or Barbarian. And much later.) I hope that new UU aren't stronger OR you plan to make more UU (modern, that are WEAKER than normal). BTW: Congratulations. Rome (your favourite?) was the best Empire in the World!

I don't like Natives in Europe. IMHO there should be Independent cities (or Barbarian. And much later.)

Or Celts. Don't forget the Celts!

What is the ultimate goal, exactly? Replace the majority of units with flavour units or unique units? Or just for Rome?

When do you think new cities should spawn in the rest of Europe?

Or do you think that Europe should be populated with cities when Greece spawns?

Why don't you like Natives in Europe? Native Europeans! More specifically the Hispanics. I didn't think they were Celtish, and there was already some Independents nearby, so I went with Native.

Should Germany be Barbaric or Independent?

Flavour units graphically then or each with some kind of unique bonus? If the latter, wouldn't some of the Roman Infantry gain free strike chances for their pila? And again, for the latter, there's quite a few ideas bobbing around for other civs over in 2nd UU topic. If we can find existing graphics for a unit, are we allowed to make suggestions?

Why don't you like Natives in Europe? Native Europeans! More specifically the Hispanics. I didn't think they were Celtish, and there was already some Independents nearby, so I went with Native.

I.e. Spain should have cities ~220BC (right before II Punic War). Why? To let future (better) Cartage AI to colonize and don't let Rome have Spain to early.

Natives represents only African and American natives. You can use other Independents ;)

You should decide either Germany should be Barbarian or Independent.

Hispanic wasn't celtic. I think the celts should spawn a lot earlier, before the greece and should also spawn in turkey. (the furstest they migrated)
Maybey barbaric first in germany and later independent? But I think if the celts would spawn early in switzerland, there is no need for independent/barb cities in germany. Just some regulair barb raids should be enough.
Natives in spain would be cool.

Natives probably never would build any big city there. Independents represent advanced natives and migration from i.e. Carthage and Greece (Macedonia) [colonies in RFC become Independent, right?].

Your right. Independents would be better. Colonies becomes independ cities.

If there will be cities in germany, they should be barb cities. Otherwise all those barbs spawning will never reach the romans, and only attack the native/independent cities in germany. Maybey that would also be better for spain. They Ai is more likely to attack barb cities than independant cities. And this way the barbs spawning in spain wont be held up in spain instead of attacking the romans.

Your right. Independents would be better. Colonies becomes independ cities.

If there will be cities in germany, they should be barb cities. Otherwise all those barbs spawning will never reach the romans, and only attack the native/independent cities in germany. Maybey that would also be better for spain. They Ai is more likely to attack barb cities than independant cities. And this way the barbs spawning in spain wont be held up in spain instead of attacking the romans.

Your reasoning is sound (which isn't to say that everyone elses' isn't!) so I've changed the Barbarian raids to Celtic and got rid of the Natives.

Flavour units graphically then or each with some kind of unique bonus? If the latter, wouldn't some of the Roman Infantry gain free strike chances for their pila? And again, for the latter, there's quite a few ideas bobbing around for other civs over in 2nd UU topic. If we can find existing graphics for a unit, are we allowed to make suggestions?

Both as appropriate, but trying to preserve game balance too. I was mainly aiming just to replace the units for each Civilization and give them unique names (which I'm regretting now :p since I could've just went for the Art only route). If anyone wants to make some buttons for the units I add that'd be a great help. You don't have to be an artist, I just edited some of the in-game ones to create the few I did.

As a guide I'm using Danrell's units. You can find them in the Unit Graphics section, he's made loads and they're usually in sets of 11.

I.e. Spain should have cities ~220BC (right before II Punic War). Why? To let future (better) Cartage AI to colonize and don't let Rome have Spain to early.

I've set the cities to spawn when they were founded in the real world, and to prevent Rome from Waltzing in immediately I've given them Celtic Gallic Warrior garrisons. As a side note I was testing Greece and AI Rome got owned by Celtia...

Your reasoning is sound (which isn't to say that everyone elses' isn't!) so I've changed the Barbarian raids to Celtic and got rid of the Natives.

Spain or germany? I guess spain. I wouldn't put any celtic cities in germany. And spawn some barb cities there from 400 AD onwords, when al those barbs are coming down from the north. They should be able to overun the remaining celts and romans in france.

Independents in spain should be fine. I've never seen cetls and independents war on each other.

Top Bottom