Bill: Marijuana Legalisation Act

Smidgey

Warlord
Marijuana Legalisation Act (August, 27th, 2007)

Article 1: Individual use and Possession:

1) Possession and use of cannabis as a recreational drug, medicine or any other use (including the hemp plant itself) shall be made completely legal.
2) A person must be of 18 or more years of age to use cannabis.
3) The sale and transfer of cannabis in its drug form to any persons under the age of 18 is punishable by up to five years imprisonment and/or a fine of up to $2,500.
4) Any person above the age of 18 who allows the transfer of cannabis to a minor through negligence on their part is punishable by up to six months imprisonment and a $500 fine.

Article 2: Marijuana and Retail:

1) Retail outlets of any kind are permitted to sell cannabis.
2) All locales that sell cannabis must provide labeling on their products of ingredients as well as instructions for safe use of the product.
3) Cannabis may only be sold in outlets which have a license to sell tobacco and/or alcohol.
4) Any private outlet that sells to an underage user may have their license revoked and a fine of up to $5,000 on the business establishment as well as being personally liable to Article 1 Sections 3 and 4.
5) If a private establishment open to the public is subject to smoking prohibition laws then marijuana/cannabis falls under the same jurisdiction as tobacco under these laws.
6) Individuals are permitted to grow cannabis for their own use and for the use of others, profit-free, without possessing a license of sale.

Article 3: Taxation:

1) Marijuana/Cannabis should be taxed at the same basic level of sales tax that are applied to tobacco products.

Article 4: Hemp Growth and Production:

1) Hemp can be grown on private property so long as it does not affect neighbouring properties in an adverse fashion.
2) Hemp and the refined cannabis drug cannot be legally traded to those countries where these products are illegal. Illegally trading with such countries may result in penalties in those countries and will result in a maximum of a five year prison sentence and/or a fine of up to $10,000 if apprehended within the jurisdiction of Civilitas.

Sponsor: Smidgey (LRP)
Co-Sponsors: Equuleus (PLP), Algeroth (LRP).

EDIT: I will open this bill for voting in a new thread on 31st August at 12:00 a.m British Summer Time (GMT+1), so thats 71 hours from now. I will also include any changes if there are any.

Arguments in Favour of this Bill

1) It is not the purpose of government to say what citizens can and cannot choose to do with their own bodies.
2) Cannabis has been shown, time and again, to be less harmful than some legal drugs (c.f. tobacco and alcohol) as well as, in some cases, being medicinally beneficial.
3) Cannabis is already used by millions of people in other nations - so we can only presume large portions of Civilitas use it. Do we really want to punish someone for a 'crime' that does not harm others? We do not want to put thousands of people into jail or force them to pay fines, resulting in a criminal record and hampering the future of citizens welfare because of a consensual act.
4) The majority of users of cannabis are in fact housewives and students. These are productive members of our society and we should cherish them, not make them into criminals.
5) The government of Civilitas would save millions of dollars by freeing wrongly convicted persons from prison and by taxing the cannabis drug.
6) By legalising hemp manufacturing we will be ahead in this marker globally (especially hemp paper) and improve the economy of Civilitas.
7) We would remove cannabis from the hands of bad drug dealers and regulate it in a free market, making it safer and providing labeling on products.
8) Cannabis is often said to be a stepping stone to harder drugs, the main reason for this comes from the fact that cannabis is often sold to our youngsters by drug dealers who wish to peddle harder, more expensive drugs, and increase their profits.
9) We would remove some of the gang violence that comes with drug dealing, by removing a large portion of their profits.

Co-sponsor Equuleus' speech on this bill:

I belive that marijuana should be legal. We the government have no right to say what people do in there private homes. What will we do next if we ban one thing? Stop people from having sex or showing emotion in public? Maybe they should only eat approved foods? If we ban one thing, that I must mention harms nobody but except the person using it, why not ban them ALL?"

I will comment this later, but I am amazed Equuleus already spent both his endorsements for the entire term.

I think we can discuss it first here, then vote later.

I thought the way it worked was discussion, then amend, then finally vote?

So i guess this is discussion just now.

I have two concerns, although I applaud the writer of this bill for thinking everything through.

1) Drug Tourism. Marijuana is not legal in many western countries, or countries peirod for that matter. If we makeit legal, we're going to see an influx of tourists coming here for the cheap thrill of getting stoned. We'll also see folks buying here, and trying to trasnport back. I'm not sure that we want to include our country in that sector of the economy.

2) Marijuana isn't exactlly difficult to grow and produce on your own. We may go ahead and tax it (and if we're using the same rate that we tax cigs, its going to be fairly high). But with the ease of producing the drug, not to mention years of practice, since its been illegal, we're still going to see a black market for pot. We see this already in the States withs cigs, and pot is even easier to self-produce.

I'll need to think about it some more,but I'm personally inclined to keep it illegal.

Marijuana should be illegal to grow on private property. Growing marijuana requires lots of moisture, and the moisture causes mold and rots the wood. Growing marijuana is responsible for degredation and destruction of many houses, as well as causing illness from the mold. If it is legal to grow in a house (STRONGLY AGAINST) it must be a) regulated, and b) told to all potential buyers of said home.

I think that sounds good, though. Marijuana and stuff. It's your choice to smoke or not; we may as well make some money off the side.

I think this is a sort of political "peace pipe" between PLP and LRP :)

Holy smoke!

i dont like it maybe for medical reasons but i really dont want to live in Amsterdam 2 i mean the thought of pot cafes and stuff just kinda sickens me

Some interesting points so far and I'm glad it is civil. If I could just go through some of them:

I have two concerns, although I applaud the writer of this bill for thinking everything through.

There were three of us, we all chipped in to try and see all the mistakes and close any loop hole or error we found. Thanks though :).

1) Drug Tourism. Marijuana is not legal in many western countries, or countries peirod for that matter. If we makeit legal, we're going to see an influx of tourists coming here for the cheap thrill of getting stoned. We'll also see folks buying here, and trying to trasnport back. I'm not sure that we want to include our country in that sector of the economy.

We did realise this was a problem, which is why it is included in the bill. Although, I would say it is harder for tourists to bring cannabis back from a nation where there is no road access (unlike tourists in Europe who go to the Netherlands or Americans who travel to Latin America). Secondly, we are responsible for ourselves and the welfare of our citizens and for their liberty. Although we may wish to look good in the eyes of other nations (a good analogy would be Japan and Norway concerning whaling), I believe individual liberty comes above what others think of us. If the fact that we are freer than many other nations causes us to be disliked a small bit more, then so be it. Thirdly, am wondering what your opinion on the growth of hemp for industrial purposes is,such as hemp paper, which is far easier to produce and causes less wastage than paper made from trees, as well as being a good environmental solution to deforestation. If we were to become a world leader in such a market we may actually get a positive reputation for the improvements to the environment. We may even see other nations follow our example (perhaps not legalising cannabis, but at least hemp production). Fourthly, you mention tourism and that is something I should have mentioned in my second posts. Increased tourism would be one of the benefits of cannabis legalisation. Finally, it is true that the Netherlands has come under pressure in the past to impose harder penalties on cannabis use by foreigners. This is because they were actually members of alliances and treaties concerning drugs - which we are not yet a member of (such as the EU).

2) Marijuana isn't exactlly difficult to grow and produce on your own. We may go ahead and tax it (and if we're using the same rate that we tax cigs, its going to be fairly high). But with the ease of producing the drug, not to mention years of practice, since its been illegal, we're still going to see a black market for pot. We see this already in the States withs cigs, and pot is even easier to self-produce.

You will actually find quality is important and this has been seen in the USA. In the past it was the case that the vast majority of cannabis came from Latin America, especially Mexico. Now, however, 40% of America's cannabis is grown within the country and much of it comes from Canada. the reasons for this is that the cannabis grown in the USA and Canada is of a much higher quality than that of Mexico. With competing companies, competing in a free market, quality would be important - a company doesn't wish to lose its customers through poor quality goods. We have a black market if cannabis is illegal and we will have it if it is not. Either way we are going to have a black market. The question is, do we want the vast majority of our cannabis to come from a clean, safe source, or do we still wish for most of it to come from homes in the South of the country (I'm assuming this is where it would be grown)? We are also going to punish those who participate in a black market whether cannabis is legal or illegal, which hikes up the price in the black market because it is more risky. This will end up making the black market only a tiny fraction of the actual market (which is also true with your cigarettes example). Also, your cigarettes example would be a better analogy if we were arguing to keep cigarettes illegal, but since they are legal it seems that we would have no more trouble than we do now.

I just don't think we should be punishing perfectly productive members of our society when we could be saving the economy millions ever year from judicial costs, to prison costs and to costs to business and the economy. Not only could we be saving money, but we will probably actually earn some (as is the case with alcohol and tobacco).

Marijuana should be illegal to grow on private property. Growing marijuana requires lots of moisture, and the moisture causes mold and rots the wood. Growing marijuana is responsible for degredation and destruction of many houses, as well as causing illness from the mold. If it is legal to grow in a house (STRONGLY AGAINST) it must be a) regulated, and b) told to all potential buyers of said home.

By property, I meant your greenhouse or your fields. There will be very few people growing cannabis inside if they are freely able to grow it in their greenhouses or fields.

P.S. Just a point of information, I have never myself used cannabis (in case you all think that I am a pothead for making this my first bill :)), I just don't want to prevent others from doing it.

I think this is a sort of political "peace pipe" between PLP and LRP :)

Holy smoke!

Oh, we agree on many social issues - just not the economic ones :).

i dont like it maybe for medical reasons but i really dont want to live in Amsterdam 2 i mean the thought of pot cafes and stuff just kinda sickens me

Why does it sicken you? Two consenting adults participating in gay sex may sicken a devout Muslim or Christian - but if they believe in the principles of liberty then they should realise that their religion is theirs and what others decide to do is fine as long as it doesn't hurt others. Everyone that goes into one of those cafes is doing it voluntarily.

Add to the bill then that it may not be done in a building but either outdoors or in a greenhouse.

Add to the bill then that it may not be done in a building but either outdoors or in a greenhouse.

I'm not sure, that is a bit vague. How about it not being allowed in a home (since surely a home has to reach certain standards to qualify as a livable abode anyway).

I could add that, personally I think it is up to people to do what they want with their own property, but I believe with legalisation the number growing inside will be so small or non-existent I would be happy to add this.

Considering the fact that we have no laws banning Marijuana to begin with, is this really necessary? ;)

I may be willing to allow it under Provincial Law, if Nurlsk for example insists on it. But I do not think every Province should be forced to have pot as part of mass culture. Pot is not a liberty to everyone, but could also be a nuisance.
Being free does not necessarily mean you legalize everything.

1.1 Needs to, in my opinion, be made more clear. ANY use being COMPLETELY legal?

Top Bottom