RBtS3 - The Uncultured One

Qwack

The Poopman
Well, recently there have been alot of variants on this forum that have been centered around culture. Be it cultural domination, cultural conquest, etc etc. To break the routine, here is a SG that will shun culture. We hate culture. Culture is bad! :p

Leader: Shaka of the Zulu
Map: Pangaea, Temperate & Medium
Difficulty: Monarch
Speed: Normal
Opponents: Alexander, Brennus, Charlamegne, Hammurabi, Monty, Genghis Khan

Variant: Other than our capital and forbidden palace city, no other city may ever have culture in it. :eek:

RB Succession game rules apply: http://realmsbeyond.net/civ/sgrules.html

And the starting Location:

I would just like to take this moment to thank sulla for making the necesary changes in worldbuilder for this variant. As you can see, we are starting this game in Islam state religion, but islam is dead, so we cannot get culture from religion.

There are 3 things to consider for this variant that are important:

1. Other than the capital and forbidden palace city, all other cities will never expand borders, so they will probably work a maximum of 8 tiles unless they steal tiles from other cities.
2. We cannot build any national or world wonders in any cities except the capital and FP city. Furthermore, we cannot build libraries, universities, theatres, monastaries, or temples in any of those cities either. Due to the variant, we are limited to 4 national wonders in this game. Gotta think about which ones we want.
3. Diplomatic problems. Since we start the game in Islam, and may never switch out, and no other civ will ever be in Islam, we will always have negative modifiers for state religion until the AI's switch to free religion.

And finally, the Rooster.
Qwack
Darrelljs
Ozbenno
Blid
TheRat
Reserved

The reserved slot is for Uberfish until I find out whether he wants in this game or not. If he does not want to join, I will find a differnet 6th person. I want to run a 6 person roster this game as alot of cities and wars means lengthy turnsets, and both me and TheRat may be away for a little while in october.

We will do 20 turns per set for the first time around the order, and 10 turns per set after that. I want to finalize the roster before starting the game up, hopefully that is done by tommorow.

1. Other than the capital and forbidden palace city, all other cities will never expand borders, so they will probably work a maximum of 8 tiles unless they steal tiles from other cities.

This will be an interesting lurk. This will even be more sadistic then the original Civ3 version since you lose the cultural gap filler.

How much do I hate culture? A lot.

Checking in.

We're actually not limited to 4 National Wonders. Ironworks, Scotland Yard, Wall Street and West Point produce no culture. As for World Wonders, Three Gorges Dam, United Nations, Space Elevator, Pentagon and Kremlin are the same.

Weirdly, Hermitage, Hollywood, Broadway and Rock and Roll also appear to give no culture of themselves, just a culture boost (100% for Hermitage and 50% for the others). 100% of nothing is still nothing. These wonders give only GA points so are worthless.

Should be an interesting game. Best of Luck! :thumbsup:

2. We cannot build any national or world wonders in any cities except the capital and FP city. Furthermore, we cannot build libraries, universities, theatres, monastaries, or temples in any of those cities either. Due to the variant, we are limited to 4 national wonders in this game. Gotta think about which ones we want.
Shouldn't that be 3 national wonders? I think the FP counts as one, so that city would only be able to have one more.

Edit: x-posted. Good catch, Ozbenno! :goodjob: A lot more than 3 or 4.

checking in. I am sure we want to build the National Epic...so someone please list all wonders so that we can decide.

With our capital a wonder producing city, it should go for the NE?

As for settling, we have to make sure we get the maximum overlap to use more than 8 tiles. And since the capital and FP produce culture, we should not settle close as well to those 2.

I do not see how you can prevent religion spereading to your cities and this way getting culture? Well, you can adopt Theocracy with no state religions, but befor that you have no way to prevent it. In addition, is not shaka UU produce culture? Granary is rather usefull building. I could be wrong.
Offcouse you can not build librarys, unis, theaters.

And you can not start game with religion and adopt it, because it could speread into your other cities.

And you can not start game with religion and adopt it, because it could speread into your other cities.
It looks like they used WB to found Islam and set that as the state religion. But since the religion does not exist in any city, then it cannot spread. As long as they don't adopt Free Religion, they should be OK.

I do not see how you can prevent religion spereading to your cities and this way getting culture? Well, you can adopt Theocracy with no state religions, but befor that you have no way to prevent it. In addition, is not shaka UU produce culture? Granary is rather usefull building. I could be wrong.
Offcouse you can not build librarys, unis, theaters.

The game has been worldbuildered (is that a word :confused: ) by Sullla so that Islam has been founded and then destroyed so it is present in no cities and cannot be refounded, as we have Islam as our state religion and Islam cannot spread to us we're all right (but can never use Free Religion).

EDIT: Xpost with Conroe

In that case, you not only can not adopt free religion, but have to adopt theocracy from turn 0.

In that case, you not only can not adopt free religion, but have to adopt theocracy from turn 0.
It doesn't matter if another religion spreads to a city. Since it is not the state religion, then it will produce no culture (nor give any other benefit). Theocracy is not necessary. And indeed all of the religious civics are quite useless.

And if for some weird reason, Islam still ends up being founded by another civ via discovering Divine Right (which shouldn't happen), one of you can pass me a savegame file, and I'll kill off the religion again. Plus any Islamic missionaries that might have spawned. :mwaha: :lol:

And if for some weird reason, Islam still ends up being founded by another civ via discovering Divine Right (which shouldn't happen), one of you can pass me a savegame file, and I'll kill off the religion again. Plus any Islamic missionaries that might have spawned. :mwaha: :lol:

I see, actually it would not be nessesary if they play there card rigth.

If anyone found islam they just have to adopt no state religion and theocracy.

This would have side effect of forcing them to raise all occupied cities, but it not that what all uncultured barbarians suppous to do?

checking in. I am sure we want to build the National Epic...so someone please list all wonders so that we can decide.

OK, list of National Wonder and my thoughts on them (excluding Forbidden Palace)

Globe Theatre - can never be built (requires theatres)
Hermitage - can be built anywhere as produces no culture but is useless
Heroic Epic - important as we're going to be warring in this one
Ironworks - can be built anywhere as produces no culture
Moai Statues - would give 5 extra hammers to capital but probably not that useful
Mt Rushmore - too late to be useful
National Epic - In the capital to boost wonder GPs, or if we find a great GP farm spot, double with Forbidden in 2nd culture city
National Park - good but again probably too late
Oxford Uni - can never be built (requires libraries)
Red Cross - does anyone ever build this?
Scotland Yard - can be built anywhere as produces no culture
Wall Street - can be built anywhere as produces no culture, a captured shrine would be nice
West Point - can be built anywhere as produces no culture

The location of the second city will determine the best use of these probably. A big production city, then use Heroic Epic with FP, a huge food surplus, use National Epic. After going through the list, maybe Maoi Statues in capital isn't that bad an idea (especially if we can get Colossus).

Heroic Epic - important as we're going to be warring in this one
Ironworks - can be built anywhere as produces no culture
Moai Statues - would give 5 extra hammers to capital but probably not that useful
Mt Rushmore - too late to be useful
National Epic - In the capital to boost wonder GPs, or if we find a great GP farm spot, double with Forbidden in 2nd culture city
National Park - good but again probably too late
Scotland Yard - can be built anywhere as produces no culture
Wall Street - can be built anywhere as produces no culture, a captured shrine would be nice
West Point - can be built anywhere as produces no culture

Actually the choices aren't that many. HE and NE should be built according to terrain as Ozbenno pointed out already.
Btw, I can't see the starting screen, is there something wrong?

Checking in...hmm, I am wondering if settling on the spot was a good idea considering we have a turn of forced anarchy? We really want to be far from the coast so that our capital's culture can enable more tiles for uncultured cities. We have both pre-reqs for Animal Husbandry, seems like a no brainer first tech choice. Should we start Worker first?

Darrell

Checkin' in
Man, that's some sorry starting location.

I am wondering if settling on the spot was a good idea considering we have a turn of forced anarchy?

I guess we couldn't have had a religion without a city settled. I agree on worker/AH

Top Bottom