Difficulty: Emporer
Map: Pangaea
Size: Standard
Speed: Normal
Victory: All Enabled

Variant rules:

Funnily enough there are five

1. Can only found 5 cities and capture 5 cities
  2. Can only change civics 5 times (changing multiple civics in one instance counts as 1 change)
  3. Can only use 5 Great People (must give the rest away to our worst enemy we're not at war with)
  4. Can only build 5 Wonders (World or National)
  5. Each of our cities is only allowed to have 5 buildings

SG rules:

1. 24 hours got it, 48 hours to report!
  2. SGs are meant to be fun, so have fun. We've all had a few :smoke: moves (me more than most), so don't stress about it, make them entertaining.
  3. Discussion (on and off topic) is highly encouraged.

Roster of five

Ozbenno
Ralph Jackson
Conroe
Kodii
Mighty Dwaarf

Cities Settled

1. Babylon
  2. Akkad
  3. New Madrid
  4. Dur-Kurigalzu

Cities Captured

1. Cuzco
  2. Tiwanaku
  3. Ulundi
  4. Toledo
  5. Cordoba

Civics Changes

1. Tribalism -> Slavery
  2. Despotism -> Representation
  3. Barbarism -> Bureaucracy, Paganism -> Organised Religion

Great People Used

Scientist (Academy)
Priest (Shrine)

Wonders Built

1. Pyramids
  2. Moai Statues
  3. Heroic Epic

City Builds

1. Babylon - Barracks, Granary, Library, Market, Forge
  2. Cuzco - Barracks, Granary, Library, Market, Forge
  3. Tiwanaku - Granary, Market, Courthouse, Jewish Temple, Hindu Temple
  4. Ulundi - Library, Barracks, Granary, Courthouse, Forge
  5. Toledo - Granary, Courthouse
  6. Cordoba - Granary, Aqueduct, Barracks, Courthouse
  7. Akkad - Barracks, Granary, Library, Market
  8. New Madrid - Granary, Courthouse
  9. Dur-Kurigalzu

Well looks a fairly nice spot.

I changed the map at the last minute as Great Plains (and I also considerd Inland Sea) have huge amounts of land, so changed to pangaea (about half the land). You know what that means Ralph!

Plan is to settle in place, research to bronze working and see if anyone is close enough to axe-rush!

Annoyingly, we don't start with Hunting or Fishing, so will try and slip Fishing in there as well.

As in the first game, I think we swap to slavery once Bronze Working is discovered.

Will play first turns over the weekend.

I like Ralph's suggestion and think we should go with it.

The starting position looks spectacular. From what I see without resource labels, we have three food bonuses and an early happiness bonus. Unfortunately, it looks like there is only a single grassland hill, so it would be a production flop. I would settle in place. I think we already know how to specialize the capital. :)

Also, do we want to use Ralph's suggestion of the 5 GPs being one of each kind? I like it myself.
:hmm: Let's see ... spy, engineer, merchant, scientist, artist, prophet, and general ... I count 7 different kinds of GP. Not sure how we'd use one of each kind. I guess we could just say no repeats. :undecide: Not real thrilled, to be honest. Besides, didn't we have a bit of trouble last game trying to decide how best to use 4 of them?

Unfortunately, it looks like there is only a single grassland hill, so it would be a production flop. I would settle in place. I think we already know how to specialize the capital. :)
I agree on settling in place. And depending on how the map unfolds, this game might warrant a Palace jump. Would that count as a wonder? Either way, this city is a good candidate for Maui. Be interesting to see how this map unfolds ...

:hmm: Let's see ... spy, engineer, merchant, scientist, artist, prophet, and general ... I count 7 different kinds of GP. Not sure how we'd use one of each kind. I guess we could just say no repeats. :undecide: Not real thrilled, to be honest. Besides, didn't we have a bit of trouble last game trying to decide how best to use 4 of them?

We agreed that Great Generals wouldn't count but forgot spies. Hmm, maybe no repeats then. In BtS at least there is the "burn for Golden Age" option. So we can use scientist (academy - doen't count as building), engineer (wonder), prophet (shrine), merchant (trade mission) and spy (Spy Bomb or Scotland Yard) or artist (GA). We had problems getting anything other than a scientist and prophet last time so this may be a moot point.

We had problems getting anything other than a scientist and prophet last time so this may be a moot point.
I guess I'm just concerned that will happen again. Although we should be able to manage it better this time. BTS displays the number of turns until a GP pops. I just love that feature. :cool: Also the number of turns until the borders pop. I was forever doing the math on those two numbers. Nice additions to the package!

Lurker's comment: Resource view on please.
Out in the water, there are 2 tiles showing 2 food rather than the 1 food of the other water tiles. Those 2 are seafood resources. 1N of the Settler is a 3F farmable resource; corn, I think. And the elephants, you can already see.

Settling in place would provide food for whip usage. good. However ther would only be one potential tile for bronze/stoke horses in initial fat cross. We will probably need 2nd city to find the bronze if any. Do we start with worker to farm the corn?? I would also start with fishing to get the fish worked early, and hunting would allow us to both work the elephants and build scout as we start with warrior. Either way at least the nearby land looks a little more forgiving than OB04.

Do we start with worker to farm the corn??
Well, I normally like to go for the WB first in situations like this. But it never hurts to do the math. Fishing will take about 7 turns while working the corn. Then another 9 turns working a hill and a forest to get the WB built. That is a total of 16 turns. It will take 15 turns to get the Worker. Then another 5 turns for the farm. Thus the WB is 4 turns faster and your city is already at size 2. But, the irrigated corn will provide 6 food. I think those are crabs out there, which means only 4 food without a Lighthouse. But, you get the 2 commerce.

Interesting choices, as Sirian used to say ... 4f and 2c versus 6f ... I'd probably lean towards the seafood ...

Lets get the ball rolling on this one.

Settle in place. Start on warrior and Fishing.

<Can't believe I missed this screenie, there's one later on>

Turn 2, meet this gentleman :eek:

Now that's close.

Pop Fishing from a hut (with 2 turns left :mad: ).

Hmmm, should have WBed myself Fishing to see if I could get Sailing :lol: (that's a joke for Conroe and Kodii BTW).

Research set for Mining and Babylon changed to Work Boat.

Meet Izzy on our east.

OMG, meet Shaka as well. :eek:

That's 3 AI in 11 turns. Knew there would be a catch to having such a good capital.

Mining in and select Bronze Working.

Yet another AI.

Bronze Working in, hello :D .

The worker is moved to start mining the copper.

Here's the state of the world.

Our warrior is healing after a panther attack in the NE, he should scout towards Huayana and we can see who is closer, HC or Shaka to determine our first victim. I think that two capitals will be part of our 5 captured cities. Doesn't seem to be great settle ourselves sites, just the pigs/corn/wine.

Izzy founded Buddhism and Huayana Hinduism as well :goodjob:

I didn't revolt to Slavery, will actually put this one up for discussion first :mischief:

I would think that barracks and axes next to get ourselves an AI capital.

http://forums.civfanatics.com/uploads/88650/OB04_BC-2800.CivBeyondSwordSave

Our capital = :drool:

Depending on how close HC, I think we should rush him. After all, HC can become quite the annoying AI further down the road. Having the Hindu holy city is a bonus.

PS: This isn't the thread for bad jokes! :lol:

Can't seem to see link to the save?? It is early Sunday morning so it could be me being blind.

However ther would only be one potential tile for bronze/horses in initial fat cross

The bronze gods look favourably upon us today!!

Looks like we have some candidates for early war, HC can only be two cities space away if we met on turn 2!!
Shaka not much further, I agree both should be dealt with ASAP, I was playing BTS on Monarch the other day and Shaka DOW'd on me when friendly and had the largest army I've ever seen from the AI, so he could be potential problem in this game if left for a while.

Ok Got it for 20.

Ralph

Whilst Ralph is busy shapening axe blades I have looked at our potential city sites.

Option 1

This would grab us all nearby resources, City B would at size six be able to work 4 hills, pigs, corn and still have 2fpt growth. By the time we get to City D, hopefully Shaka may have settled in that area and we can capture the city there allowing us to settle one elsewhere. Possible drawbacks are the overlapping between B and C, plus we dont know where Incan capital is in relation to A.

Top Bottom