Editing CivWin

No, CivWin is a lot harder to edit than the dos version. We don't even know which file to start with. Even modifying the save file is is dangerous.

Does anyone know how to edit the combat values for CivWin?

No, CivWin is a lot harder to edit than the dos version. We don't even know which file to start with. Even modifying the save file is is dangerous.

I’m not sure how it is dangerous to edit the CivWin SVE file. I took a quick look with a HEX editor, there seems to be some amount of text, the names of leaders, countries, cities. The files do seem to be of variable length, which to me indicates some sort of compression. So some part of the file must be compressed.

An Internet search certainly doesn’t stir up any hope that anyone has had any luck decoding the SVE file or that there is an editor available for CivWin.

Civ 1's combat system would be fine if the number spread was better. A rifleman should not have less attack than a chariot (3 versus 4).

If you doubled the defense of modern units, maybe thins would be more realistic. For instance, I once lost a city that had fortified riflemen to Chariots. Some things should NOT be possible.

I would think that if you have deep need to modify CIV ONE (CivWin or CivNet). You could as alternative play CivDos. The game play is the same; the goto function doesn’t work as well as CivWin or CivNet. The interface is much more user friendly and better graphics. And for your purposes there are lots of tools to modify the units.

@Dack

Thanks a lot for all the info!

I guess I will have to use CivDos instead of CivWin. At least I know where to start though.

What is the name of the program you are using to view the unit values?

@Dack: Yes the CivWin .sav file is compressed. I have the only code AND editor possible to uncompress the file, modify the file and re-compress the file. It's in C# .NET code and if you like, I will send it to you (Code and Editor included). You may be able to do more with it than I can.

Top Bottom