Final Fantasy Hero Party

DJ Bonebraker

a.k.a Laura
Cool units. It's also good to see some new M-units every now and again.

They all seem to fall over and die at the same time. Was that intentional due to unit or Civ consntraints? Or is it that making them die non-simultaneously would be a royal pain (what I think it would be, though not saying a skilled creator such as yourself couldn't do it)?

Glad you guys like it... I originally did this Munit as a special wonder-produced unit for the Girls in the Playground Mod 2.0 (called a "Girl Posse"), but I've hit upon this unit as a potential solution for killing 2 birds with 1 stone:

I was wondering what to replace the Pentagon with in the FF mod (since that building doesn't exist in any FF world, unless you count The Spirits Within, but I don't)... My idea now is to replace the Pentagon with a building called "The Adventeruer's Guild" (use Ogedei's Caravanserai or something like that) that not only increases army cap to 4 but also cranks out an Hero Group every 10-15 turns (basically the hero group will be a very powerful unit with about +2 or so HP bonus).

Like I said, I'm thinking about re-doing Beatrix soon, which means that I'll re-do this unit as well, but that won't be too big a deal.

Well, gives you some experience making them, right? So time has not totally gone to waste. :)

They all seem to fall over and die at the same time. Was that intentional due to unit or Civ consntraints? Or is it that making them die non-simultaneously would be a royal pain (what I think it would be, though not saying a skilled creator such as yourself couldn't do it)?

Dying simultaneously is much easier to do than non-simultaneously. You have to find something for the other units to do while they are not dying, and that would mean altering the original flc file for the death, or at least altering the unit itself, and then it would be fairly unnatural if they were attacking before dying, because if you disband them... (much problems trying to sync up the deaths so they die in different orders, unless if they were specifically tailored to do so to begin with.)

Because dying all togeather looks unnatural, most other M-units tend to have some of the figures die, and others run away. I actually had some fun altering the explorer M-unit I made (in Playground Mod 2.0), and made some of them spin around while dying, as if it were struck by a blow that sent him spinning, and others run in different directions, etc.

Making M-units is sort of an under-appreciated art IMO, for it takes a bit of time syncing up the attacks, making realistic looking deaths, run animations not robotic, some amusing fidget/victory animation, and some general timing issues for most all of the animations. This only looks nice if it's for organic units, for a bunch of tanks or ships together look cluttered IMO. Also, since most people don't have a special need for M-units, people tend to make few M-units.

Well, A) It looks more like how the characters move in a FF game, if they're all in the scene at once (Just play FF VIII and you'll see what I mean), B) I'm a VERY busy guy, and would like to get a beta version of the mod out sometime before March of next year (which will mark the 4th year I've been workign on this project, with nothing to show for it), and C) It looks fine to me.

Top Bottom