Historical NES I - World War I.

Toasty

Old Guard
BACKGROUND

Well, seeing all of these, I figured I might as well try and make my own NES :D. This is one that I have wanted to play for some time, and seeing as no one else has decided to make it, I will now.

WWI was sparked by the assassination of Austrian Archduke Franz Ferdinand in Sarajevo on June 28, 1914. A Serbian nationalist and a member of the "Black Hand" organization, Gavrilio Princip, shot the Archduke and his wife, Countess Sofie Ferdianand, on a military tour. Sofie died immediately, but the Archduke slowly bled to death--in the mean time, saying "Sofie, you have to make it, for our children!".

The consequential ultimatum, issued only after the German Kaiser offered Germany's full support to Austria-Hungary, has already been delivered. Tsar Nicholas II of Russia has similarily offered his support to Serbia. The Entente Cordiale, between Britain, Russia, and France has been signed--the Triple Alliance, between Germany, Austria-Hungary, Italy, and to a lesser extent Rumania, has also been signed.

This is where we step in. Several nations, each with its own objectives and its own power are now on the brink of conflict. The most destructive force yet known to human history looms in the coming months; how will each leader, diplomatically and militarily, react to the tides of war?

COMBAT

In order to allow me to play and to hopefully get a full roster, I will be using a combat system with dice. Rest assured, it is totally random, and in the interest of playing a good game I will be completely honest with you all :).

Combat works like this: for each unit on the opposing side, a die is rolled. Depending on the units strength, offensively or defensively (per it's part in the battle), a number lower or equal to that number must be rolled. If the number is lower or equal to, the unit survives and a "hit" is made on the opposing enemy's side, which will kill an enemy unit. The first side to run out of units loses the battle and gains the land in the surrounding area, or keeps it if it is defending. However, once one side has lost one-half of its forces, I will PM the owner and offer them the ability to retreat. There will be no assessment of the opposing forces, so even if you have lost half of your forces, your enemy may have lost more or less. This is to represent poor communication as ahead radiolines were easily cut by artillery bombardment.

Each nation gathers so much gold for the first time depending on the area and quality of its land. Russia, for instance, is huge, but much of it is poor and undeveloped. France, on the other hand, doesn't have as much land but a great deal of it is very well developed. The effecting capture/removal of land is concurring with this.

Air and Naval Combat
Air and naval combat works similarily to ground combat in that the die process is still the same. However, air units may only fight other air units, with the exception of AA guns. Naval units may only fight other naval units, unless being used to bombard.

Bombardment
Bombardment is a powerful tool, but is very unlikely to succeed. Depending on units that have the bombard ability, a number lower or equal to the number must be made. However, should a bombard succeed, all units on the defence lose 1 for their defence value (i.e. an infantry normally has 4 defence; after a successful bombard, they all have 3). Bombard uses three dice, but the standard is similar.

Neutral Contries & Regions

All of the tan regions on the map are countries that remained neutral throughout the whole war and are impassable.

UNITS

There are only a few units, because this is WWI:

Ground Units

Infantry Regiment
Defense: 4
Attack: 3
Cost: 10g per regiment.
Speed: Slow if horse-supplied, somewhat faster if motorcar-supplied.

Howitzer/Artillery regiment
Attack: 0
Defense: 0
Cost: 40g
Bombard: 5/12
Notes: Has bombard ability.

Tench
Cost: 15g
Notes: Stationary, may only defend against ground units, +1 defence value against infantry.

Fortress
Defense: 5
Cost: 30g
Notes: Stationary, may only defend against ground units, unaffected by successful bombardment.

Tanks will appear later in the game--a nation may start research on them immediately by donating 200g.

Air Units

Anti-Aircraft Gun
Defense: 3
Cost: 15g
Notes: Stationary, may only defend against air units.

Biplane:
Defense: 2
Attack: 2
Cost: 20g
Notes: May only attack or defend against other units, may be used for reconnaisance.

Naval Units

Battleship
Attack: 5
Cost: 25g
Bombard: 5/12
Notes: Has bombard ability, but only for coastal areas.

Cruiser
Attack: 4
Defense: 3
Notes: Has +1 defense bonus against U-Boats.

U-Boats
Attack: 5
Defense: 2

Transport
Defense: 1
Cost: 30g

TIME PASSAGE
As soon as I have all orders, 3 months will pass. I will be the first to submit my orders once we are started.

GAME STARTING
As soon as the Big 6 (Germany, France, Great Britain, Russia, Austria-Hungary and the Ottoman Empire) have players, and each has submitted his/her buys, the game will begin.

COUNTRIES
Germany:
Leader: Kaiser Wilhelm II
Player: das
Starting Gold: 500
Capital: Berlin

France (and Belgium):
Leader: President Raymond Poincaret
Player: Dexter
Starting Gold: 450
Capital: Paris

Austria-Hungary:
Leader: Kaiser Franz Josef
Player: WarlordMatt
Staring Gold: 425
Capitals: Vienna and Budapest

Ottoman Empire (and Bulgaria)/Turkey:
Leader: Sultan Abdul Hamid II
Player: uknemesis
Starting gold: 425
Capital: Constantinople

Great Britain, (Including Serbia and Montenegro):
Leader: Prime Minister Lloyd George
Player: Jason the King
Starting Gold: 360
Capital: London

Russia:
Leader: Tsar Nicholas II
Player: trader/warrior
Starting Gold: 475
Capital: Petrograd

Italy:
Leader: King Vittorio Emmanuelle III
Player: Kwansn
Starting Gold: 320
Capital: Rome

Greece:
Leader: King George II
Player: (Still Avaliable)
Starting Gold: 210
Capital: Athens

Romania:
Leader: Prime Minister Ion Bratinau
Player: Toasty
Starting Gold: 225
Capital: Bucharest

And lastly, the map:

I'll be Italy

I´ll be greece(I like being underdog).
The alliances are unbreakable right?

I'll Join as France. This should be very good!
BTW, will you add other nations available for playing once the main ones are taken, i.e. Switzerland, Sweden etc...
Thanks

Only ottoman empire left and then we will start!

Question: Can we invade neutral countries? If yes what are their defences?

Some notes: Italy infact did join the allies not Germany and Austria-Hungary. So did Rumania.

I'll be the Ottamans!

Nemesis

How much money do you get per turn, how powerful will tanks be, and what's the point in air units if they don't attack land targets?

Nemesis

I suggest adding Netherlands.

IceEye: I know that Italy and Romania fought for the allies and not the central powers. However, in reality, they were allied to Germany and/or Austria-Hungary in 1914. The Triple Alliance charter, in fact, remained in place until 1915 when Italy declared war on Austria-Hungary. However, because of a technicality (I'll inform the Italian player of this if he would rather fight Austria and Germany or remain neutral), Italy eked out. Romania outright turned down declaring war on Serbia.

das/IceEye: Neutral countries aren't included in this because I have been able to find very little information as to the state of their armies, navies, stance in the war, etc. The nations that joined the war (excluding Portugal, who made no serious impact in Europe), are included. I would highly discourage invading neutral countries at this point because I have little information. However, if a person can make a reasonable argument as to why they should invade strategically, i.e. not just for the cash, I will allow it. But this NES is made for war primarily, and not diplomacy/expansion. Prohibiting the use of neutral countries, in whatever aspect, seems to steer it more in that course.

uknemesis: Air will mostly be used for reconnaisance and the prevention thereof. Obviously, if someone knows exactly where your troops are all the time, they can be much more effective than someone who is completely in the dark.

Hope this helps!

By the way, I think this game is full already!

Please submit your buys and begin conducting diplomacy towards starting or stopping the war ;). The Austro-Hungarian ultimatum has been delivered with a 48 hr tag on it. Great Britain, who controls Serbia, must commit to demands (Austria may dictate a unique ultimatum if they feel the need ;)).

Thanks, but you still haven't answered two of my questions:

How good are tanks? Are they worth the investment(what stats are they?)

And how much money do you get per turn?

Nemesis

RULE CHANGE

I recently added the transport as a unit. Should anyone decide to change their builds/deployments because of this new development, I will allow them to do so.

uknemseis,
The gold # per turn is based on your current income (how much you have to spend now). Depending on the relative value and amount of land you gain or lose, you will accordingly gain or lose the amount of g/pt.
Tanks are supposed to be a wild card. I will however, inform you they will smash right through those trenchers ;).

One final question. How do you make your infantry motor equipped? Do you have to have the tank advance, or pay extra or something?

Nemesis

I haven't decided yet. Motorized divisions weren't widespread and almost none were used in 1914. I will lay it out later when the timing is more appropriate, I suppose.

To Austria Hungary
From The United Kingdom

I am sure we can find a peaceful way to resolve this. What say I split the territory, you can have 25%? Any more, I will have to resort to violence, inwhich I say I am totally against.

OOC: To Toasty, can you please inform me of Britain's allies at this time, I am not well-educated in WWI as I am in WWII.

Top Bottom