MoO1 Challenge: Meklar survival is at stake!

RefSteel

Pacifistic Technologist
The proud people of Meklon, having at last developed the means of true symbiosis between living entities and machines, seek to bring the secrets of their new metallic bodies -- and superior factory techniques! -- to distant worlds and different species. But even as they look to the stars for the first time, the poor, altruistic Meklar discover they will have a struggle ahead for their very survival! They're cornered ... in a terrifyingly powerful and hostile galaxy. The cry goes out to the greatest leaders and strategists in the galaxy and beyond, the mighty beings known as ... um, you know, MoO players ... to save the Meklar people. Are you up to the challenge? Can it even be done? Or will the galaxy languish forever under the rule of (yech!) purely biological beings?
I noticed in various places that some veterans have had more trouble playing the Meklar successfully than any other race -- even the kitties! -- so I wanted to try out a new idea I came up with for Meklar strategy. To be fair, I wanted to use it in the first galaxy I rolled up ... but what a galaxy! Though I've been reading Sirian's site, the RBO Imperium reports, and a bunch of the OSGs on this board, I'm still something of a newbie. There was no way I could survive from the position I was given, against the competition in this galaxy. Oh, I played it anyway, and kept some pretty detailed notes, so I'll convert them to a report and post it eventually (i.e. once others have had time to take the challenge without seeing any spoilers) but ... well, have a look for yourself if you don't believe me!

We've got Psilons and Humans and Klackons and Sakkra (not only one of the most dangerous races outside the Big 3, but our racial enemies)! It needed only Silicoids to make the steamroller complete. The last race is the Darloks though, just in case we hoped to survive on the basis of peace and harmony. Also notice that we're practically in a corner, with only three worlds likely to be in our back lines. Oh: And the only stars in colony range (fortunately, there are two of them) are blue.

Maybe it's just my prejudice, but somehow I don't like the sound of "lifeless planets." I realize there's always a chance of a star going against type, but this isn't very encouraging.
Nonetheless (before I scare anyone off), I have to say: I have played the game, and I wasn't instantly massacred. (As for how I did in the end, that'll have to wait for my report; I'm in favor of suspense.) More importantly, it was probably the strangest and most intriguing game of Orion I've ever played. Maybe it was just the way the dice rolled for me (I caught some huge early breaks, which I didn't realize were huge, didn't realize were good breaks, or didn't know were happening ... then got shelled with a series of bad breaks later in the game) and maybe it was the new strategy I employed, but ... well, take a look yourself, and you'll see.
The point is, this map is not intrinsically unwinnable ... but that doesn't mean it's intrinsically winnable either unfortunately: Just how much of a chance the player has (or at least how difficult things will be) may be largely dependant on the semi-random decisions of the various AIs at the start of the game. I would have liked to include a save from a few turns into my own game, so at least some of these decisions would be the same for everybody, but I want you to be able to execute your own full opening. Besides, I don't have any save files between turn 1 and turn 100. (sheepish grin)
I'd love to see what a veteran player does with this -- or even another newbie -- and if anyone keeps detailed notes (or save files) from the early game, we might even learn the true value of my new Meklar strategy. Here are the vitals:
Save slot: The save is currently in slot 5, so be aware of this if you unzip it directly into your Orion directory.
Difficulty: Impossible
Galaxy size: Average
Opponents: 5
Race: Meklar
Color: Green
Emperor's name: Gambit (because of my bold but risky strategy)
Variants: I didn't ask for spectator wars or use the missile backup trick (anyway not intentionally) or anything else that seemed really exploitive, but whatever you're comfortable with sounds good to me.
Victory conditions: Survival! (In other words: Any victory!)
Start year: 2300, the very beginning of the game.
The Save: Attached at the end.
Have fun -- and good luck in this Impossible galaxy!

Attachments

• meks2300.zip
    11.7 KB · Views: 226
I see it is named save5, so no problem. Will check it out after I finish my current game of civ.

Hmm, I would be tempted to play this out in a SG.:)

It didn't occur to me to suggest this for a possible SG! I guess if it had though, I'd have been concerned that one of the AIs might run away with the game (or overrun what should be Meklar space) before there was a chance to do anything about it. If that happens in a solo game, the player doesn't lose much invested time and energy (since the whole problem would be an unpreventable early loss), and another player might have better luck. If it happens in an SG ... well, you can always start over on a new map, but in this case, the map (together with other pre-generated elements, like personalities and tech trees) is what makes the game so strange and interesting.

This game was a huge challenge and much fun!:)
I highly appreciate that you shared it with us.

The short version:

Spoiler :

I gambled on getting Radiated Enviroment and got lucky. After initial wars with the Humans where I got nearly wiped out, I hold onto the Ultra Riches and slowly grind my way back with Pacifist Sakkra help. With horrendous losses I pointy stick my research on par with the Psilons and annex the Sakkra and soon later crush the Psilon fleet.

Screenies. The initial map. Romulas lost, my biggest early setback. The Psilon tech screen upon having beaten the Humans. The biggest battle at the end that the Psilons totally lost.

The long version:

Spoiler :
Initial exploration:

I settle the minimal planet on turn 3 as I recognize it is actually the best in the neighbourhood..

As soon as Meklon hits 200 factories, I squeeze a colony ship in between maxing. As my first colony ship is ready I recognize the map difficulty. 2 poor terran worlds, one minimal and 4! Radiated with 2! Ultra rich.

We need Radiated Enviroment, and we are the Planetology poor meklars. YAY!

And even worse, Humans who are erratic nearby. I sign a NAP and hope the voices in their head favour me.
As Meklon maxes 20% go into Hyper-Vs, 40% into Planetology and 40% into Propulsion to get me another poor world. Terra +10 pops and I got Improved Eco Restore as the Meklars need this like bread.

The Psilons control 6 planets. Ouchie, runaway Psilons, this game will be nasty.

And the humans finally can´t control themselves and dow. Class 2 shields pop as well as Hyper-Vs and now all research into Fuel Cells 5 and Tundra enviroment. I need every planet I can get my hands on!

By letting Meklon pump into reserves, I manage to establish a base in time on Romulas. 10 medium designs with heavy lasers are downed by my Hyper-V base. Fuel cells pop, all goes into Planetology research now and my 2nd colony ship is built. I am gambling heavy here. Terraforming +30 is next as it advances the tree and I don´t need toxic landings.

Both Tundra and the 2nd ultra poor planet are settled on the same turn.
Now onto Radiated enviroment, I hope.

Year 2380

With minimal investments, IT 9 pops. Deep Space Scanner the next year. With Robotics Controls III next.

Year 2386

Peace with the Humans. Improved Terra +30 pops with 31% chance and now we have... Radiated, we got it! All research goes into it.

Year 2391

Aquilae becomes RICH! Why, why, why not a terran world. Sigh. Well at least the minimal planet is worth the hassle now.

Year 2397

The Humans dow. Sigh, my only neighbour erratic. Aquilae now pumps reserve which is dumped fully each turn on my poor border world.

Voting time, us against the Psilons, eek. Only the humans vote them, at least.

Year 2405

The Psilon empire now covers 12! planets...

Controlled RADIATED pops and Atmos Terraforming is next. An excellent Planetology tree. Now I just need to hold on!5 Anti-Matter bombers by the humans come, ouchie. I loose bases for the first time.

Well, it comes as it must, the hell is bombed out of Romulas, I need to get lucky now. I can´t hold unto it, not even with large missile boats, so I give it up. I sign peace for Terraforming +30.

Yes, anything just peace. I need to colonize the planets and get merculite missiles.

Improved Robotics come in. JESUS ...., Meklon becomes poor.:(

2422 and my sole productive world is poor.

Voting time, Sakkras against the Psilons.:( Well at least a stalemate. And with the first radiated outpost colonized, I encounter the Klackons, which are aggressive and militaristic. Next, the Sakkras, who give me Nuclear Engines for a waste tech. Yes, sir, we take that.

The Humans dow us in answer for our aggression, why, why, why?:) I just colonized those damn radiated worlds.

Victory, I take Romulas with 1!!!! pop from the Humans, whilst they bomb my forward radiated planets into a oblivion. I snatch the Neutron Blaster, IT 8 from it. Nice. Romulas is bombed, Quayal is taken!! They got radiated. Damn, I need to stand up Crius, the northern ultra rich.

I manage to get the Sakkras to attack the Humans, and exchange Sub Light Drives for my Radiated enviroment. I can only hold onto the ultra-riches it seems.

Romulas is taken by the Sakkras.:( Xendalla is overrun. But at least the Mercs pop in 1-2 turns.

No fleet at Xendalla, I immeaditly dispatch troops to it. Class V Planet Shield pops, giving me some protection. Xendalla is retaken.

Xendalla is glassed. But at least I get a chance to vote the Sakkras and suck up to them.

Peace again. This time Romulas is resettled by the Sakkras, before I can snatch it.

Screw peace I redow the Humans to snatch Quayal, somehow. Romulas is reglassed.

The Human and Sakkra fleet run around glassing each other with only my core worlds and Crius (ultra rich to the north being

safe.) I colonize Romulas, only to find out that the Sakkras sent pop there.

2449 Quayal retaken.

2450 The bad news: The Sakkras have ALLIED! the humans. The good news, there are no good news.:D Well, I am building Huge Ships

now with Heavy Blast Cannons, Auto Repair and Repulsor Beams. I hope they achieve something. They are called "Hope", yes I think it fits.

Good news, the Humans dowed the Sakkras, gotta love Erratic. And another vote ensures I can help the Sakkras. The three hopes go to Quayal to take the Radiated world back.

The Psilons own 18 worlds. Great.:( My only chance is to eat the Humans and the Klackons ASAP.

My first real offensive is Vega, which I take and manage to snatch Ion Stream Projector, one of my favourite weapons.

And now I recognize, whilst the Humans ate me, they were eaten by the Psilons. Ouch. Despite their technological superiority,
I manage to snatch 1-2 worlds with the Huge Design.

I establish an alliance with the Sakkras, my only chance of beating the Psilons by now. All other races love me as I am glassing border worlds of them, and I manage to secure Human and Klackon techs by that.

Glassing planets is interrupted by Soil Enrichement. It seems I could actually survive this game. Checking the Psilon tech for the first time, I am shocked. Check the screenie for it.:D

The next years are spent by increasing border defences and trying to hold onto Sol, Kholdan against the Psilons, but as soon as their monster fleet shows up, I am toast.

I make peace with the Psilons. High Energy Focus for RedWaste 80%. They would part with Scatter Pack X Missiles for Soil Enrichement.. I fear, I can´t make that deal.

A well, the Psilons cancel the NAP, but at least I pulled RCV and Soil in. Sol has no bases but 123 factories, I dispatch everything I have to get it.

I take Sol, Sol goes Super-Nova, yay. Shields 9 are scavenged from it.

Psilons, retake Sol, and save the Star. And get Soil Enrichement.:(

The Sakkras dow me. The Psilons waste Kholdan. Sol is taken, and I get Scatter Pack X, multiplying my bases capacity by 7!Kholdan is resettled by Psilons, Maybe I get lucky.

The tide turns, as I can equip scavenged Black Hole Generators on my Huges. The Sakkras are massacred, the Psilons are actually beatable on the defence.

Romulas is taken, remember my 3rd world from the start.:D Xendalla glassed.

I am actually up for vote.

The erratic Humans who allied Psilons and Sakkras are killed by me. I can´t help but laugh an evil laugh.:D The game is over.
Pretty much, as the Psilons are actually unable to circumvent my bases.

After 10 years of Siege Mentar is taken. Looses nearly 900 Meklars to 300 Psilons. It was worth it. I snatch Complete Terraforming, Advanced Force Field Tech II. And I establish for the first time, contact with the Darloks!

After making peace with the Psilons, I use the Advanced Tech gained from them to annex the Sakkras in 4 turns. Black Hole Generators tend to do that.

The last screenie is the biggest battle ever.

My 17 Huges were equipped with blackholegenerators, neutronstream and Tri.FocusPlasma. Needless to say, I slaughtered the

Psilons.

Soon later Obaca is mine, and I save for the day. The rest of the game is mopup, as soon as I got time, I will do just that.

Attachments

• Startrealization.jpg
    Startrealization.jpg
    31.2 KB · Views: 366
  • Romulastaken.jpg
    Romulastaken.jpg
    31.5 KB · Views: 352
  • runawaypsilons.jpg
    runawaypsilons.jpg
    48.8 KB · Views: 455
  • Biggestbattle#.jpg
    Biggestbattle#.jpg
    26.2 KB · Views: 585
  • Meklarsaved.zip
    10.3 KB · Views: 172
"The last screenie is the biggest battle ever."

My friend that is not a big battle. Wait to you run into the bug that gives them 64,000 ships in a stack. I have had 4 stacks each with at least 20,000 ship, mostly large ones.

"The last screenie is the biggest battle ever."

In that game.:)

In any case, the combination of an erratic neighbour with an isolated, hostile, poor start, coupled with a pacifist sakkra and honourable Psilon made it a rough ride.:D Try it out.

I try too, that would be my 1st game on Impossible.

So far i am not doing as bad as i thought, considering that i play easy level usually, that's strange. But on the other side i am trying to get friendly with the immediate more powerfull neighbourgh and finally have only engaged war with Psilons in a specific condition that i knew i could win :
(aar not wrote in a roleplay fashion this time)

Spoiler :

Immediately we send our colony ship to Aquilae and then i send my scouts to look at what kind of systems are around my 2 systems.

Romulas a 100 terran planet is spotted near Aquilae, with my current poor propulsion system, my rushed 2nd colony ship is for this system, a good idea i had, as once i colonised Romulas i noticed a lonely Psilon colony ship incoming.
Proud of my 3 system empire, a flash news prevented me that Humans are owners of 6 systems , making me worry a lot so fast in the beginning.

Another scout noticed Rigel a 85 terran near Meklon, but too far for my current propulsion.

I am building some lowly Penetrators frigates with puny lasers, computing and shielding with a low reinforced armor to get at least some military ship, as without it i may become the favorite target of all the space bullies around. Especially those nearby Psilons.

It seems i was wrong , the Psilons colony ship was headed to another system, a hostile radiated one protected by one of my scout, as my scout forced the colony ship to retreat, this is my 1st major victory in this game, maybe i should stop there and consider this a win :D

My first defeat came in the following turn, from another scout that just reached a system protected by 3 combat frigates from the Klackons. I had to retreat logically.

Building some defenses on Aquilae now that it had reached its maximum factory.

Deep Space scanner discovered, so i could see a bit more , and noticed that Vega is Klackon system now (the one i was trying to explore but was forced to retreat without seeing the planet).
Transfering the few reserve i had to Romulas, my latest colony, as i can already guess it will be the one assaulted by space bullies first, it will need defenses, i have 20 of my Penetrators orbiting for now .

Hyper V rockets discovered, doubt it will be usefull, but now i build some missile frigates Intruder with them to support my Penetrators, they will be able to attack Vega soon enough once the better propulsion is discovered. Unfortunately i have to remove the improved armor and the shields to be able to fit the HyperV rockets and a lowly laser.

Improved Industrial 9 discovered, followed few turns later by the discovery of Class 2 deflector fields.

Noticed a Klackon colony ship in the back of my empire, incredible that the Klackon can already travel that far while i am always limited by lowly engines.
This means they can basically attack every of my system, bad , very bad, and always no diplomatic contact. But fortunately they retreat as it seems they decided the radiated world was not of their taste , yet.

Finally Meklon max out factories, it helps for researches and missile defense building start now

Deuterium Fuel discovered, at least more systems are now in my range, it was a long research to do but interesting for the result. The new propulsion will enable my colony ship to get Rigel, poor terran world in the back of my Empire but big enough to be interesting for researches while being far from enemy reach... for now.
It enables us to have our 1st diplomatic contact with the most near of the space bullies, the Klackons.

I send a scout to Vega , the Klackon frontier world.
New space bully is then enabling its diplo relations with us, the Sakkras. At least they do not insult or threaten me.
Trade agreements are made with Klackons and Sakkras (the Sakkras are qualified as "unease" with us, i fear they will soon hate us totally)

My scout reach Vega, and retreat immediately after noticing the 19 missiles bases firing at us. Already 19 missiles bases that soon in the game !
Well, my planned attack with my puny frigate troops will never work they will all die before even being able to land a single hit, so they will soon enough be scrapped to help the defense building effort.

Rigel finally colonised, the Meklars are now proudly owning 4 systems.

I notice now a Psilon colony ship in the back of my empire, they are flying directly from the Klackons empire, hmm, not good again.
Sakkras fleets seems to move toward us, despite my relationship is improved since the trade aggreements, i wonder if they are going to attack me.

Improved Eco discovered, at least i can lower the slider to use more defense builds and researches going. That's good.

Discovered Improved Robotic Control 3, that's another good : more factories !
But the dances of the Sakkras ships make me wonder what they are up to, but for now they are not going to my systems.
The Psilons are colonising Tau Cygni in the back of my Empire their colony ship was way faster than any of my ships (with their old retro engines), i will capture it as soon as possible... well when Tundra colonisation will be discovered (soon to be hopefully).

Trading with Sakkras and Klackons seems to go very well, they are accepting each slight increase currently, maybe my next best friends ?.

Aquilae maxed out factories again.
Psilons have sent a transport to their newly acquired system, in my back.
Well.. capturing the system will not be easy anymore, as the tundra research is taking lot of time, and i guess Psilons will have superior ground weaponry and protections by then, lot of Meklars troops will certainly die.

Meklon finally maxed out factories, a lot of them now. During that time, the flash news announce that the Psilons are owning 12 planets, well they will certainly start to kick other empires in oblivion soon enough. But without any planetary shielding or decent missiles, chances of Meklar survival are very low.

We have asked the Klackons to declare war on the Psilons, they accepted (our trade seems to have made them friendly to us) maybe this should tame the beast before they get to us.
The Sakkras unfortunately are too far from Psilons apparently and so are not able to be offered to attack Psilons yet.
The Psilon fleets seems to have an uber engine, they are flying to a very high speed in the universe, i believe they can attack anywhere they want without a problem.
I know where i will send spy once i will get a decent computer.

While everyone is busy waging wars to each other, Tundra control environment is discovered, maybe i will have a chance to get Tau Cygni now , but i guess the research took so long that the psilons infantry are now even more powerfull :/
Personnal deflector shield discovered just before i order the invasion, that's great news.

We have now a non aggression pact with Klackons and Sakkras, trades really helped as they were not willing in the beginning.

Our invasion transport barge from Meklon and Rigel went through an enemy ship fire and the survivors landed on Tau Cygni and captured the system despite heavy losses, the Psilons did not put as a strong fight as we thought, their ground weaponry was not that superior to ours.

But they recalled their ambassador in retaliation, and we finally lost contact entirely with the Psilons.
Now 5 worlds are owned, glory to the machines !
Captured Hand lasers and Class 4 deflector shields from the Psilons computers, that can only be good.

Psilons sent 50 troops, but thanks to other reinforcement coming from Meklons and our new hand lasers, we kicked them out, viva the Meklars :D
Terraforming +10% discovered.

Psilons sent then 6 frigates to destroy Tau Cygni, but thanks to the 3 missiles bases i rushed there after scrapping the whole fleet, we managed to kick them out again, but they bombed us with death spores , another victory of the Meklars over the current strongest Empire.
The Psilons must be mad having suffered several defeats against our puny empire.

Inertial Stabilizer discovered.
We should rebuild some fleet, as space bullies may soon notice we are helpless

The situation seems better as we don't see Psilons anymore, maybe we have a chance.
...I hope :)

I saved the situation of my current game in 2431 on the 6th slot so it can co-exist with the original save of this challenge (that is on 5th)

Attachments

• SAVE6-2431.zip
    11 KB · Views: 163
@Archduke: I'm glad you enjoyed it! And congrats on your success -- that looks like a very well-played game!
Spoiler :
I don't think I would have lasted long if the Psilons had gotten off to the great start they did in your game, or if old Bladrov's horoscope had read, "You will go on a long journey ... and exterminate your robot neighbors!" as early as it did for you. Do you remember in which year (approximately) he declared on you?
I think my biggest mistake in my own game was failing to give Planetology sufficient priority in the mid to late 2300s. Not knowing Rad bases were in my supposedly poor Planetology tree, I assumed they must not be, especially once I saw that Tox bases were available. With this start position though, I think we had to gamble on having Radiated, since we'd have almost no chance without them (or even with them if you don't get a head start on your enemies!)

@Horizon: (I hid the Spoilers below just for those who haven't played as far as you have; I won't mention anything I know that you don't)
Spoiler :
Yikes! The Psilons got Tau Cygni?!?! Great job taking it back in time (before they dug in with a vengeance) ... and getting the facs they built and resulting techs too! One thing that makes me curious: Check out those Klackon bar graphs! They have almost no population, but are off the charts on planets! If they just have a bunch of transports en route, or are about to nab terraforming for the first time or something, they could get really scary, really quickly! Of course, the Psilons look scary already!

Good luck pulling out a win!

I enjoy a lot this challenge.
As it is my first time on Impossible, i am trying to apply the various concept i learned from reading all the AAR available in various threads on this board. Very fun to see how the AI is actually acting differently for several people on the same save.

Report up to the year 2474, save provide in the post

Spoiler :
Those 4 radiated planets are always empty, so i can only guess that none in the game has the radiated control tech. I hope this tech is available to me , or i will be in a huge trouble.

So all my funding is going there, researching the radiated environment control technology. If i can get this quickly, i could potentially have 4 systems in few turns.

I just hope the nearby empires will remains friendly :D as i am really giving up other researches. To achieve that, i continue to trade with the Klackons and the Saakras, increasing the trade progressively.

This seems to work, the "bribe" seems enough to keep them happy and they do not crush my poor systems.It will allow me to reinforce my new systems once i will get them without worrying about immediate assault, only the Psilons are potentially dangerous for this. so i am building a good reserve to build up my upcoming worlds quicker.

No more news from the Psilons, no more contacts, so it seems the Klackons are keeping them at bay in the other side of the universe. Or at least it seems like this as my scanner does not show anything there.

Improved Terraforming +30 discovered , and next in the line is ... Radiated environment control !! It seems to go very well, a bit too good though, i smell something fishy behind this.

The Sakkras contact me , for the first time of the game, but instead of declaring war as i feared, they ask for even more trades. Good.

Another good new : Meklon is now rich , it's too good to be true , it seems to call for an utter failure soon.

2457 finally it is there : we have now Radiated environment control , we can get 4 more systems.

2467 : 4 more systems (Ouayal, Xendalla, Crius and Ryoun ) are owned by the Meklars ! radiated had been a great tech for us.
Despite we built the 4 colony ships on the 1st year of the radiated tech discovery, the fact we are always stuck with the very old retro engine, is making the travel so slow that it seemed to take forever to reach the systems. I was lucky none else claimed the worlds during that time.

Now priority is on reinforcing our frontier world Ouayal, as the Psilons have re-appeared after geting a Klackon system.
With the reserve we have created we should get shield and base rather quickly operational... hopefully

We made contact with the Humans as an additional bonus, time to trade with them to get friendly.
Keeping those Sakkras, Human and Klackons friendly is a good way to pull them into a full war with the Psilons, as they will most certainly accept when i will ask them to declare war on the brains. And it allows me to breath a bt more.

Battle Computer mark 4 discovered, at least our spying on the Psilons may have more success, but considering how slow those techs are coming, the Psilons may already be so high in tech that i can't spy on them.

Duralloy armor was in the same batch, better than the paper thin one we had before.

We have now a non aggression pact with the Human, trading with Sakkras, Klackons and Human is always going very well, and they keep getting friendly. Maybe an Alliance soon ? We'll see but it seems the Klackons are getting lot of trouble, they lost their homeworld several time to the Psilons.

Additional problem, to make up more money, we scrapped the fleet.
we will have to build something soon enough, or our "friends" will certainly turn into space bullies and threaten us against tech or systems.

Status of 2474

The Klackons seems to be seriously crushed by Psilons, and possibly by Humans. Situation will be difficult for me as the Psilons seem to reign supreme on half the universe, and i don't want to imagine what kind of tech they have currently.

The universe has changed a lot since my previous report, the Psilons are indeed really scary. But for now the Meklar are surprisingly doing good.

Attachments

• SAVE6-2474.zip
    10.9 KB · Views: 170
@Horizon: Heh. So much for my theory that your Klackons might become scary. I now suspect the real reason their population seemed so much lower than it should be was enemy bombing (and/or sporing)! As you say, the same AIs, on the same map, in these different games, behaved very, very differently.

Finished this evening. I'm planning to do a writeup on my website, as this turned into quite an interesting game. For now, I'll just post this:

Spoiler :
Beelined to Controlled Radiated, surviving constant attacks from the Humans along the way.
Starting in the late 2400s, I went on the offensive against the (weak) Sakkra, then consumed the Humans.
Turned down a Diplomatic victory in 2525, accepted a Domination victory in 2550 that was just slightly short of a Conquest one.

More details to follow in the full report. :)

Finished this evening. I'm planning to do a writeup on my website, as this turned into quite an interesting game.

That's great to hear, and I can't wait to read your report! Yours sounds like an AI-decision draw that would have wiped me out before I ever reached Radiated, but this map seems to have somehow matched its difficulty to the skill level of the player. I'm really glad everyone's had so much fun with this one!
(As for how my own attempt went, I'm going to try and truncate my report to fit here more easily, and then post the full thing on outside webspace if anyone's interested. I'll try and get the short(ish!) version up here tomorrow night if not later this evening.)

@Horizon: Heh. So much for my theory that your Klackons might become scary. I now suspect the real reason their population seemed so much lower than it should be was enemy bombing (and/or sporing)! As you say, the same AIs, on the same map, in these different games, behaved very, very differently.

I think the problem of the Klackons in my game came from their ship engines.

I noticed on a frontier world they were able to kick out Psilons incursions during the 1st part of the game, so i think they had some nice battle oriented tech. But i could only see that when their fleets were moving, they were very slow, i can only guess that during a lot of the game the Klackons never found anything better than the same old engine i have.

While nearly since the beginning the Psilons had certainly something that was near impulse engine, as their fleet moved fast and far each turns.

So in these conditions, i think it is not surprising to see the Klackons being progressively wiped out by the brains, as even if you have the bigger guns, it is not possible to defend all your territory when you have such low engine on your ship,
They take too many turn to reach nearby systems, while both Psilons fleets and Psilons invasion transports can attack everything and reinforce position in extremely few turns.

I can only fear for the time the Psilons will turn on me, as they are going to be my next neighbourgh once they will have removed the Klackons for there.
Maybe time to bribe them with trade agreements :D

I gave this a try
Spoiler :
I had a pretty quiet defeat. I decided to try and build factories on the poor worlds, which may have been an error as it slowed my research. No wars and no contact other than the bugs. 2nd vote in 2399??(I thought after the first were only every 25yrs) is me vs brains and all vote for brains. I of course was trying for radiated pretty heavily but was not close.

Thanks for posting--I think I'll start saving my start games and if I get an interesting one I'll post it.

My attempt. It's kind of a long, wordy read, but I can't bring myself to do anything about that, but apologize up front. I am so unbelievably angry and upset right now, that I barely was able to post what I had. Thank you RefSteel, for the challenge; it was a great one! I just wish the game hadn't ruined it completely for me.

Spoiler :

I actually had some time to play Orion, so I thought I would give this one a shot. RefSteel mentioned that we've had problems with the Meklar in past OSG's. I think the reason that a lot of people get into trouble with the Meklar is their extra factories can slow down the overall growth curve if player isn't careful. It's a huge temptation to get all those factories cranking ASAP, but that's often a mistake, as player misses out on enitre worlds in the land grab phase. That's also why the AI Meklar is often stunted, too much time spent building factories and not expanding. IMO, the proper way to play them is to expand normally, just like any other race, and THEN go back and add the extra industry. The only exception to this might be on a large or huge map and an isolated start, but player is pretty much guaranteed to win such starts, so the opening strategy doesn't matter much anyway :p

Alright, so what have we got here? Difficult AI draw to be sure. Unless the Darlok start some wars, there's actually a pretty good chance of peace reigning for a long time, and that is never in the player's best interest. The Humans and Klackon are threats for an early diplo loss, and the Psilons are always a big looming threat. There are some bright points, however. If we're near the Lizards or Bugs, we might be able to leverage our computer advantage into stolen tech. The Sakkra are an especially tempting target to net planetology tech. As far as the map goes, our corner of the galaxy is a little sparse, but itis somewhat isolated, which is good. My opening strat is going to be sending the col ship N immediately. If that world isn't habitable, we'll need LR ships to secure the line past it (might need that anyway!). Scouts go to the yellow and red stars to the NE.

Well, the gamble payed off. Size 30 is definitely on the small side, but now we have two more stars in range, four if we're fortunate enough to have Range 5. Unfortunately, the reports from our scouts are NOT encouraging. Rigel and Romulus are both nicely sized, but both poor? And only a small Tundra as the sole nearby expansion planet until controlled radiated? Ouchie! If we're going to have a chance to compete here, we need to get access to LR col ships ASAP. A lot of potentially good stars are at range 8, including a yellow and red to the north, so I actually want range 5. To get to LR col ships, you need:

*RW 80%, Controlled Dead or Death Spores, and Range 4. If you can pick up Range 5, +20 will also work for the planetology tech OR
*IIT 8 and any planetology tech above +10 (range doesn't matter here) OR
*Duralloy Armor by itself. (though you'll probably have techs from propulsion and planetology anyway).

Knowing this, I go ahead and open Construction, range, and planetology with 9RP to see what we have. Here, we got lucky; this is one of the best tech layouts for getting to LR ships early. RW80% is available, as is Range 5, and we have +10 for a quick hop to tier two, and as long as Tundra isn't the only choice, we're golden. Unfortunately, Aquilae isn't going to be much help on the research front, so I'm going to need to get to Romulas sooner rather than later to bring in those techs in a timely fashion. For now, it's building factories at Meklon until I can build a col ship in 6 turns with a little extra, which happened in 2320. I do spend one turn at Meklon to seed +10 so Aquilae can trickle it, to get that cheap tech out of the way. Besides, +10 will really help my second world, increasing it's capacity by a third.

+10 popped in 2330, the year Romulas was founded, and we do have Controlled Dead in the tree :dance:. Meklon is at ~220 factories at this point, so after seeding Romulus and terraforming, we split between factories and research. I took 2 turns to get an initial bankroll into both RW80% and Range 5, then upped the factory construction alongside the research, putting into both techs equally.

New scouting reports come in, and it's even more dismal news. Sssla is the yellow to the North, the Sakkra manage to scout Xendella with a fighter, and the bugs already own Vega, the green to the NE of Romulas. That means the bugs are sitting pretty in the middle of the map, right in our way. Worse, the Psilons have a good chance of having a lot of territory to play with. In fact, in 2337, the turn after I learned all this, the Psilons became the first to hit the 6 planet mark. Definitely NOT GOOD. The turn after THAT, a Psilon col ship shows up at Xendella. DEFINITELY NOT GOOD :shake: I'm really hoping that the red star in the SE is habitable, and that we might be able to nab some territory down there; otherwise, this is going to be pretty rough.

RW80% and Rng 5 popped on the same turn in 2345. I actually took IIT9 to help out my poor worlds, and IS, the only available propulsion tech. Range 5 puts us in contact with the Aggressive Militarist Klackons (oh joy!), who are allied with the Psilons (so that's where that col ship came from). Minimal trade established. The bugs are already out to 4 worlds, directly to my east. After those two techs, I went whole-hog at Controlled Dead. If I'm going to get any land in the SE, it's going to have to be quick! Squeezed out a col ship to establish Rigel in 2354.

Caught a MAJOR break in the south in 2352. I got a scout to Paranar the SAME TURN as a Psilon col ship, and was able to push it back. Not wanting to take any chances, I built a large LR defense ship out of Meklon to secure Paranar for my own. Unfortunately, that's going to be it on the expansion front, as the two blue stars to the North are Toxic and Radiated. Thankfully, the white star NE of Paranar is empty, which should delay the bugs just enough to get there. The Sakkra picked up Range 6 in 2353, putting us in contact. Pacifists, excellent. Minimal trade will erase the relations penalty shortly.

Aquilae maxed out in 2358. Which is good, since the Sakkra decided to declare war in 2361 :eek: Wow, usually you get more time for relations to rise after the initial meeting. Pacifists my fanny! The Humans also managed to scout paranar with a fighter the year before my LR sentry got there, but I still should be able to keep the planet. Unfortunately, I'd been running a gambit at Romulas, speeding my research at the expense of slowing the planet, thinking I'd have more time. Looks like that might bite me in the ass. Start pumping some laser fighters out of Aquilae, but the Sakkra send a fleet of 30 medium ships almost immediately, followed by another with 25 only 2 turns later. But wait! In the first turn of battle, I noticed that the largest stack of mediums shot two missile shots, then retreated! I stayed for the second round, and after unloading their missiles, the ships retreated! They don't have any beams! I might be able to hold the planet after all. I just need lots of punching bags (aka, fighters) to absorb the losses until some large ships can arrive from Meklon!

Controlled Dead popped in 2366. I took Enhanced Eco over +30, hoping against hope that Controlled Radiated is in the tree (if I last that long). Back at Romulas, the lizards did manage to land 26 troops in 2373, which took out 40 of mine (they had PDS), but the planet held! Two turns later, it was further helped by going the fertile event. Amazing; an event actually broke my way, exactly when I needed it! The next turn, the first warship from Meklon arrived. 14 lasers, class 1 shields, and Mk 1 computer. Unfortutnately, scanners picked up two of a new large design incoming from the lizards. The battle for Romulas wasn't over yet!

Paranar was founded in 2375. To kick off the colony's future, the bugs come calling asking for a NAP. Hell yes, brother Klackon! I also met the Psilons, who had poached the green star directly east of Paranar (nuts!). What I saw on the map deeply disturbed me. They had six worlds, and unchecked reign over the entire east half of the map! :eek: I had actually built 2 LR col ships from Meklon and sent them, hoping to make another acquisition, but the chances of that looked slim.

Back at Romulus, the large design turned out to be purely missile as well, and I managed to down both ships with my new large laser ships from Meklon. Even managed to get a base up. Looks like Romulas will hold, at least for the moment. Unfortunately, this war set my tech growth back abysmally. I could have almost had Enhanced Eco with the BC I had to put into defense ships; instead, it's at a sliver, and I still need to colonize Tau Cygni.

2379 was a good year diplomatically, Realizing they couldn't take Romulas, the Lizards asked for peace, which we accepted, and the Psilons showed overtures of friendship by offering to up trade to 200BC, which we again accepted. I traded RW 80% to the Psilons for IIT9. Sounds like a bad deal, right? Well, the brains are bound to get better clean-up tech very soon anyway, if they don't already have it; their tech bar is about 4 times ours. That helped me dig out of my tech hole a little bit, and would help all of my worlds significantly; Paranar of course didn't have many factories yet, and neither did Romulas or Rigel. I then traded my newly acquired IIT9 to the bugs for Hand Lasers, which would allow me to jump right to second tier research there when I was ready.

Finally established Tau Cygni in 2386, WAY later than I would have liked. Unfortunately, I never was able to get trade back with the war-mongering Pacifist lizards, and they re-declared in 2390. They still don't have contact with the bugs, or I would have asked for some help. Enhanced Eco finally popped a turn later in 2387, and WOW, we have Controlled Radiated AND Soil Enrichment! Very nice draw for the planetology poor Meklar. I of course chose radiated; we need more planets, and we need them before the others gobble them up. I also opened up each tech field, and put 10% towards them. Yes we need Radiated ASAP, but those other rungs need to get going as well.

Caught another break next year when I actually managed to colonize Rha in the S. I can't believe that neither the Klackons nor Psilons nabbed this world before now. I had another ship on the way for Rana, the Barren next door, but lost out on that planet by a turn to the Psilons.

Unfortuntely, peace allowed the lizards to consolidate all of their missile designs into a single SoD, which gained superiority over Romulas in 2396. I decided to concede the planet, as my fleet could do nothing. My hope was that the lizards would invade, then pull their SoD back to Sssla. If they came after Aquilae and Meklon, I had no defense; I could not amass enough bases at my current tech level to beat that fleet, and I didn't have any tech to trade for better missiles or shields, and Hyper-X hadn't been in our tree.

First vote was held in 2399. Everybody but the Klackon voted for my opponent, the Psilon, and I narrowly avoided defeat when they got 16/25. Just the next year, the Psilons picked up another vote for themselves, 17/26, but that still wasn't enough for the win. However, once I lost Romulus, I would no longer have enough of a bloc.

The first invasion of Romulas happened in 2402. 50 Sakkra troops took out ~70 of mine, but the planet held. My goal was hold Romulas as long as possible as a delaying action, hoping to find some counter to the missile boat threat. Merchant donated 1000BC to the Psilon cause in 2403 (like they need it!). Lizards would not take peace, even after I gave them RW80% (they were going to get it in the invasion anyway). In 2404, however, I got a small ray of hope; the Klackons were in contact with the Sakkra, and agreed to declare war! Maybe they could delay the Lizards enough let me catch up! Lizards made a play for Aquilae with three large's, but were easily rebuffed, losing two of them.

In 2407, the Lizards pulled a move I couldn't believe. With 40 troops 1 Turn rom taking Romulas, they asked for peace. The planet held, with 10 soldiers remaining. Even better, I noticed that the Sakkra had gotten into it with the Humans (weird, I thought they were in the South). The bugs also managed to tick off the Psilons, who they were also now at war with. That eliminated the threat of a council loss, but meant that Psilons might gain even more territory. Paranar maxed next turn, and NPG's popped, revealing the presence of Merculites! Finally, a chance at some REAL bases.

Controlled Radiated popped in 2414, and I went all the way back for +30. That would actually add more pop than Soil Enrichment. I had Meklon storing ship credits the last few turns, and so was able to build THREE radiated col ships right off the bat.

Psilons are the first to reach 12 (eek!) in 2417. The game slapped them with the Nova even at Gion for it.

Now, when the Lizards declared peace, they didn't immediately vacate Romulas. Well, turns out they were intent on taking the planet, as I saw transports incoming in 2421, and they began bombarding to soften the planet up. So I made a bold move. I threatened them! And, miracle of miracles, they backed down, paying tribute of 850 BC! With its fertile growth rate, and 20 pop fro Aquilae, I might be able to grow enough pop to fend off the invasion and keep the world. Unfortunately, the 20 arrived a turn too late, and the world fell back to the Sakkra. Well, dammit, I've fought too hard for that world to give up now! 50 ordered from Meklon, 47 from Rigel, and 15 more from Aquilae. Romulas is MINE!!

2425 saw an election between the Humans and Psilons. Fine with me! Unfortunately, I had to abstain; voting for the Psilons would have put them over the top, and I didn't want to piss off the brains. It took all three waves, and PDS popping, but I did manage to take Romulas back. I also managed to colonize Vox, and Ultra rich radiated up north, though the Humans beat me to the Toxic rich world.

Unfortunately, the Lizards decided to concentrate all of their efforts on me, ignoring both the Klackons and the Humans. The Lizards gained space superiority over both Aquilae and Romulas, but thanks to the timely arrival of Class V and Merculites, Aquilae was saved, though had to spend some time rebuilding. Romulas, however, remained a big point of contention. The Sakkra were bound and determined to take that world from me, but I held them off with swarms of NPG fighters, until the Lizards showed up with a Repulsor Huge in 2451. But once again, the turn after they gained superiority at Romulas, they accepted peace, letting the world breathe another year.

the 2450 election saw me pitted against the Psilon. I picked up 9/38 votes, while the brains picked up 21. I abstained our 8. My situation was slowly starting to turn around, but I knew I was running out of time. The bugs were down to their last two planets, and had just lost Kholdan a few turns ago. Yes, they were at war with the rest of the galaxy, but frankly, the galaxy didn't seem up to the task. They had 11 planets, and no serious opposition. I couldn't get the damn Sakkra off my back long enough to really get my tech or produciton growth curves off the ground. At least they retreated their Huge ship. But then the next year, disaster struck yet again; Quayal got the comet event, and the Klackons revoked their NAP. Don't tell me they're coming after me instead of fighting the Psilons! Yet again, I had to divert tons of resources, this time to save Quayal, which I did succeed at.

I guess I should try some pictures at this time. These are from 2459:

As you can see, the Klackons are all but gone, eaten by the purple menace of the Psilons. I've finally managed to stand up all of my worlds, but I am WOEFULLY behind in tech. Worse, I made two very bad construction tech calls. I took Battle Suits over ARS, then stopped AGAIN at that level to pick up ARS, so my tech level is 12. I should have taken ARS and then advanced, but at the time, I was fighting off the Sakkra, and wanted the gropo tech. I should have seen that it would have come in too late to matter. Major :smoke: there. Worse still, we're really feeling the pinch of having no engine tech; I never was able to find a deal on one. I dialed up espionage on the bugs, hoping that they didn't have enough to spend on security that we could get lucky, but they did have BC IX, and I never did steal anything from them. I did manage to steal BC IV from the Lizards during the last war, though, and that plugged a major hole in my technology.

Soil, Neutron Blaster, and Range 7 popped in the next two turns; I took Fusions, Atmos. Terraforming, and anti-matter bombs.

Finally made contact with the Darlok in 2466; even their 3-planet empire is ahead of me tech-wise, though just barely. The Sakkra decided I'd had enough of a break next turn and declared war once again. C'mon guys, give peace a chance! This time, though, I managed to get a planetary shield up at Romulas. I also traded ECM IV to the Humans for Class III shields, at least making our bases impervious to their old Hyper-X rocket designs. And in 2468, the Klackons made their exit from the galaxy, at the hands of the Humans.

The Lizards made brief peace with the Psilons, but I ended that in 2473. I hated to do it, but could not afford to have the Sakkra bring in the Psilon against me. The Humans responded by declaring war in 2474, right before the election. Oh crap, well, hope between the Darloks and myself we have 1/3 of the galaxy. Election time comes and.... just! We have 14/41 votes. Whew! Yet another bullet dodged. I have come so close to losing this game on so many occasions.

Repulsors and ARScame in 2474, ASS the next turn, Fusion Drives two turns later, and the bombs the turn after AMB, which revealed Omega-V as the next jump (sigh! oh well). So I finally had enough tech to build some real warships. Here's what I could come up with:

Really feeling the pinch of my stupid construction decision. I wasn't happy with any small bomber designs I could come up with, so I went for a behemoth. That ARS ship really sucks, but I wanted a repulsor in my fleet. The real offensive punch comes from the missile boats. Crius built those, Vox built bombers, and Ryoun built the ARS ships. My hope was to pointy-stick some tech from both the Humans and Sakkra with these ships, and then build better.

The Lizards made a small, unsuccessful bid at Xendella, in which they lost a new Huge design. Too much of a mix of missiles and beams there to be effective. Got Atmos. Terra. in 2482, and chose the almighty Advanced Soil next. Darlok's got slapped with the minieral poor event; glad that wasn't me! The Sakkra offered peace in 2484. That was a tough call, but I went ahead and did it. My rich worlds needed time to grow, and I actually wanted to pointy-stick the Humans first; they had some nice shield tech (of course), and their toxic world was only lightly defended. In fact, I made the decision in 2485 to try it with only 1 bomber/ars pair, and 65 missile boats. Most of their fleet was tied up elsewhere, the planet was depleted to half pop and 9 missile bases by a recent Sakkra attack, and I didn't want to lose the opportunity. It turned out to be JUST enough, and in 2487, I made my first offensive gain of the game:

Tech haul was IIT6, Cloaking device, Class VI, BCIII, Gatling laser, and Rng 9. All in all, not too bad. Class VI was the biggest gain. I chose Armored Exo and Star Gates as my next techs, and re-designed each ship with upgrades. My bombers now had 28 bombs and class VI shields, the ARS had Class VI, 3 more blasters, and now 2 bombs, and the merc's gained 3 computer levels and 50% more hit points.

Darlok's gained contact when I took Maalor, and promptly declared war the next turn. I wasn't too worried though; the vote was 10 turns away, and I had terraformed all of my worlds. Even if the Sakkra declared war again, I felt I had enough to block the vote. Besides, I hoped to have Gorra by then, but it did mean that I had to move quickly to avoid having fleets in space when the vote hit. The 18-planet report for the Psilon in 2493 did NOT inspire my confidence, however. And sure enough, the following year the Sakkra declared war for the what, 42nd time? I've lost count :lol: Humans tried to wriggle out of losing Gorra by asking for peace 1 turn before my invasion force hit. I don't think so, you damn hairy ape! Crius is ours! We got Advanced Eco, Sub-light, IIT8, Hyper-X, Anti-Missiles, and Controlled Tundra. Not a great haul, but every boost in tech level helps!

Unfortunately, the Psilons had had enough of watching my upstart Meklar do their job of taking over the universe, and came for Paranar with a fleet of 1 Huge, 680 mediums, and 223 large's. I managed to get 20 bases in place for the fight, but I only had a turn's notice. Thankfully, only the Huge was a threat, and that only because of 4 death spores, so Paranar stayed in my hands. To punish me, the game slapped me with the plague event at Tau Cygni :mad: Argh! The game is already close and challenging enough; I don't need this kind of setback. At least it will only take ~8 turns, but that's with a lot of reserve spending. But, it didn't matter:

The event killed me. I lost enough pop at Tau Cygni to lose the vote. Un-frickin-believable. 30/46 would have been fine, or even 31/47 if the math went that way. I was just about to go on the offensive against the Sakkra. In about 10 turns, I would have had enough ships to make a major strike at one of their core worlds. I was already in position to take Nordia, the little inferno in the N, while I waited. Then I would have had enough territory/tech to try and take on the big Psilons. Would I have been able to do it? I don't know. But I'll never find out now.

That does it for me. I will not be playing any more games with the events on. If that bars me from participation in future SG's and Imperia, then so be it. I cannot abide the events in this game anymore. They are just TOO DAMN POWERFUL!! This is the third close, very fun game I can remember RUINED by an event. The first was a game with the Sakkra, a very cramped start with two races next door. I got the plague at my second world, it was a large one, and because of it I lost the narrow land grab for the immediate territory, and was never able to recover. The second was a game with the Bulrathi against a runaway Klackon. I was just barely holding my own in huge fleet battle after huge fleet battle, just starting to turn the corner, when the crystal turned up in my back lines and ate my homeworld. It was right by the edge, had been in the backlines all game, and never needed serious defense. The crystal materialized right by it, and 5 turns later the planet was gone. One dice roll should not have the power to alter the course of an entire game, certainly not to be the deciding factor. I am so angry right now, I can't even put it into words.

I intended to go back and brush these notes up, but I can't bear to do it now, so sorry for the rough read. I was having so much fun with this game and to have it ended like this... heartbreaking. Official result: After fighting back against countless close-calls, beating back the insatiable Sakkra, clawing my way back from the edge time and time again... lost because of a random event in 2499.

dathon

Top Bottom