Tutorial: Changing Colors in Existing Units

Gary Childress

Student for and of life
I haven't seen a tutorial on this in the Tutorial Library and didn't really go through all the past posts with a fine tooth combe, so please forgive me if this has already been done.

In this Tutorial you will be making a simple color change to the original Firaxis Paratrooper unit. Using the same technique covered here you will be able to make many different color changes/enhancements to existing units. THIS IS NOT A TUTORIAL ON HOW TO MAKE UNITS FROM SCRATCH. Also changing color can only be done within certain program limits meaning that some color changes may not be possible given the limitations of this tutorial

(When I figure out how to make more drastic color changes I may do a tutorial on that as well.)

PROGRAMS NEEDED:

1. Civ3FlcEdit:

http://forums.civfanatics.com/showthread.php?t=117669

2. Paint Shop Pro

http://www.download.com/Corel-Paint-Shop-Pro-Photo/3000-2192_4-10727962.html

3. PEdit

http://www.sharewareplaza.com/PEdit-download_227.html

4. File needed:

http://forums.civfanatics.com/uploads/115930/IDEAL_PALETTE.zip

For demonstation I'll be using the Firaxis Paratrooper.

Let's start with the attack animation since it usually has the most colors in it.

IMPORTANT: MAKE BACK UP COPIES OF ALL FILES BEFORE CHANGING THEM

You're welcome Usteros. I don't think the Civ experience is complete until one starts making one's own graphics, mods and scenarios.

Any chance of getting a group of smaller pictures?

My internet is down at home and I can't view it there (I'm on campus now).

Having a hard copy is also a preference of mine, but I can live with it if you can make the pictures smaller :please:

I'd like to recolor some units in the signature U.S. Coast Guard orange and white. I've asked in the past, but since it never came about I decided that I could at least make a feeble attempt at showing my Civ3 modification skill (though that's the first I've ever given myself that attribute).

I would like to see them too. :)

I don't think the pics survived the migration to my new hard drive since I first put up the tutorial. :(

I'll have to redo the entire tutorial as the pics were basically everything. :(
Hi Gary !
Do you still working at it ? Would be great if you finishing ,because I want to recolor this unit (http://forums.civfanatics.com/showthread.php?t=164782) into blue ,for my Space Mod "BIG BANG" (Blue is the main color of my Mod =blue Terrain;blue interface;blue...). But I know that blue is a critical color in Civ:sad:. So can you please tell me a safe RGB-Code for blue that will work in-game ? Or at least the range of RGB-Codes that I have to avoid ? It would be nice if you give me an answer.:)
Or can you at least fix the link for the "Ideal palette.zip" ?

General 666... Not intending to Break in to your question for Gary but I could help you if you like. There is No Problem using the same CIV Specific Color also in the Unit that will Not show as Civ Specific.
The way to do this is to first Remove the Civ Specific Colors, Smoke and Shadow Shades from the Unit palette. Change them all to Magenta for example.
You can then Color the Unit as you want... in this case, the Blue Colors you want for the Unit. When you color the Unit, Keep the Palette without going to 16 Million Colors so what you are coloring will keep the same index on the Original Palette. In other words, you are simply changing the Colors of the Original Unit Colors on the palette. This can be done easily if you Colorize the Unit. That will Color the same Palette as it Keeps the same index for each Color Slot on the Palette.
After you finish coloring the unit, Take a Screen-Shot of the New Palette and save as a .bmp image and use that to Add the New Unit Colors to the Original Unit Palette in Pedit Palette Editor. This will just be no more than 160 Unit Colors because you will be Keeping the Original Civ Specific Colors and the Smoke and Shadow Shades that are already on the Original Unit Palette.

After adding the New Colors to the Original Palette, save it and apply that New Palette to the Unit Storyboards and use Maintain Index. This will apply all Correctly and you will be able to Generate your New Colored Unit Flcs... and they will continue to Keep their Civ Specific Colors as they were.

Does recoloring a unit pedia icon require basically the same process Vuldacon? I've been wanting to do one but was thinking the palette would probably be completely different, is there a "good" process for changing the colors of the icons?

againsttheflow... actually coloring the Civilopedia Images are easier because there are more colors available in the palette. For example, the Civilopedia Unit Images do Not have Civ Colors or Smoke or Shadow shades so you have 254 Colors rather than 160 Colors that the Units have to use in game palettes.

Just keep the Transparent Colors in the palette different than the Colors in the Image...usually the Green and Magenta are used. Set them in the Correct indexed Palette Slots at the end if you use Paint Shop Pro.

Simply Change the Image to 16 Million Colors then recolor as you like. Reduce the Colors to 254 colors and add the Transparent Colors...for a Total of 256 Colors.
The Palettes for the Civilopedia are nothing "special" as compared to Unit Palettes... Just 254 Colors and the 2 Transparent Colors is all there is to them.
IF you look at Original Images in the Game, you will find some that use Green and magenta and others that use Black for the Transparent colors. Use what ever you like.

Vuldacon: Thanks for your help.:) I will try following your steps ASAP. IF I`m failing:cry: doing so I will ask back.:confused: (Maybe I will ,because we both uses slightly different software on our machines for doing the same issue...)
(... but today I`m busy with Civ4 ,bought myself Warlords and BTS... Must try out the Sci-Fi and Zombie Scenarios coming shiped with it...:D:scan:)
:mad: or :crazyeye: ???

General 666... I sent you a palette to use that will easily change the SpaceFroggy to Blue. I was not sure exactly what Blue you wanted so you can easily adjust that now. I made several corrections as well as made a units_32.pcx, the Large and Small Civilopedia Images and Removed a Duplicate 1st Frame in the Run animation.
I Re-Colored all animations and made new Flcs.
I E-Mailed it all to you. I am sure you can work with it now but if any questions contact me :)

Attachments

• Blue_Spacefroggy.png
    Blue_Spacefroggy.png
    2.7 KB · Views: 270
Top Bottom