Go Back   Civilization Fanatics' Forums > OTHER GAMES > Never Ending Stories

Old Apr 21, 2008, 12:33 AM   #821
Symphony D.
Deity

Official Transcript
President Nikolai Kerensky
Televised and Netcast Address
Original Air Date: 0900 UTC, September 21, 2125AD
Broadcast From: United Nations Headquarters, New York City, United States of America

Mr. Secretary General, Mr. President, my peers, distinguished representatives, ladies and gentlemen: my sincere gratitude for allowing me to speak before the General Assembly. The Russian people express their appreciation for the existence of this organization and for the noble principles on which it was founded. And we also express our appreciation for the members of this organization, who have stood together for the twin principles of justice and freedom. Thank you for having us here, and thank you to New York City and the United States of America for hosting this body.

This is the first time I have stood and spoken before you all. The last person to hold my office who had the good fortune to do so was my esteemed predecessor, President Alexandr Volkov. He came before you in a time of crisis and upheaval. I have been fortunate enough to come before you in a time of peace and stability. Despite this, the opportunity inherent in my appearance here is the same as when he made his fateful address to this body. In both his speech, and in mine, a fundamental question is raised, and through that, a choice which humanity must ultimately choose to make is presented to it. The very future of our species rests on how we choose to answer that question.

That question is the following: do we choose to expand among the stars in a legally defined and regulated fashion, or do we choose to do so haphazardly with no regard for laws, regulations, or rights? Thus far, all interstellar colonization missions, including those launched by my own country, have fallen under the former distinction, which we have in retrospect found unfortunate.

The importance of this question cannot be understated. Since 2053, and indeed to some capacity before, the rules which had previously governed manned exploration of space, as encapsulated in the Treaty on Principles Governing the Activities of States in the Exploration and Use of Outer Space, commonly known as the Outer Space Treaty, have more or less been eroded in their totality. With the discrediting of that platform, there currently exists no system of regulation for colonization, for territorial space rights, for the rule of law in space, or for the proper conduct of States therein whatsoever. At present, the only thing holding the system in check is the fiat of the space-faring powers. In effect, space today is no different than the famed American Wild West.

While perhaps kindling the romantic notions of some, this situation is not sustainable, nor is it secure. Under the myriad views on rights that currently pervade space we are presented with an inflammable mixture where disagreements and misunderstandings may rapidly escalate into conflict on a scale previously unknown to humanity. It is unacceptable for a global society of our level of advancement to permit such a situation to perpetuate itself. It is likewise unacceptable to agree to a quick-fix solution like those of the imperialist powers which preceded our current societies. What is needed is a dynamic and flexible set of laws which can be universally applied and used to advance the interests of humanity as a whole while protecting individual Statesí rights.

As has already been noted both through diplomatic exchanges and the news media, the initial signatories and draftees of the Treaty on Principles Governing the Activities of States in the Colonization and Applied Use of Space represent approximately one-third of the human race, and a significant percentage of its industrial and economic capabilities.It is the sincerest opinion of my country, of our peers in the Alliance for Settlement Transport, Research, Implementation and Security, and of various allies and peers among the global community that the recently drafted Treaty presents the best recourse for solving this problem.

My audience with all of you today may therefore be understood as one friend counseling another. The signatories of this Treaty and its draftees acknowledge that it is most likely not perfect at meeting all the possible contingencies and scenarios which humanity might encounter in space, but it is a start, and an important first step. For that reason, in my full capacity as President of the Russian Federation, and as a fellow human being, I urge you to convey to your leaders the importance of this document and that you may recommend to them that they sign and ratify it.

It has been demonstrated by all the events up to present that each of us is only capable of doing so much in these times against the enormous obstacles facing us. Together we can do so much more. Let history record that following this day, in a spirit of unity and an acknowledgment of friendship, the nations of Earth and even of our first peer among the stars, the Planetary Republic of Bacchus, stood shoulder to shoulder and presented a uniform front to the challenges of the future. I believe we may rise to this occasion as we have to so many before, and I believe that this is as Neil Armstrong so eloquently put it, one small step for man, one giant leap for mankind.

May God bless all of us. Thank you.

Last edited by Symphony D.; Apr 21, 2008 at 12:37 AM.
Symphony D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 21, 2008, 01:30 PM   #822
Niklas
Fully Functional

{ So, just so I don't misunderstand anything, basically you want me to sign a document that allows any nation to colonize any planet within the systems currently under my control that I have not already put down 10k people on? If that is indeed a yes, then this document will require some amendments before it gets a Chinese signature... }

Team Smurkz: BtS SGOTM 08 Wonderful Suryavarman
MTDGs: Civ3 MTDG II - The Council | CIV MTDG II - Team Cavaleiros
Current NESes: Pre-ChaNES - Peoples' Republic of China
Undefeated Board Game Champion :|: DipNES2, Council Diplomacy, BlaDipNES, DipNES3, RiskNESII, RiskNESIII, DipEuropeII, DipWorldIII: Victory!
Niklas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 21, 2008, 04:19 PM   #823
Chandrasekhar
Determined

Quote:
Originally Posted by Symphony D. View Post
OOC: "Hey, Vegeta, what's up?"
OOC: "WHAT NINE THOUSAND!?"

The new map looks even better than the old one, but it seems that it's a bit much for GIMP to handle. I'll stick with the current style for now, and switch to that one once the main NES has started and it won't require many new additions.

Also, the deadline is in two days. I fully expect my inbox to begin overflowing with orders in the coming hours.
Old Apr 21, 2008, 05:48 PM   #824
Terrance888
Discordian Mod

I still don't understand the orders...

Do I just post/send the 'Diplomatic' and 'Domestic' sections of regular Industrial orders?

civilization scattered like so many embers waiting for a breeze
Terrance888 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 21, 2008, 07:05 PM   #825
Chandrasekhar
Determined

I think that's right. Just PM me your orders like in any other NES, but without actually specifying how many EP you want to spend.
Old Apr 22, 2008, 01:01 AM   #826
Symphony D.
Deity

Quote:
Originally Posted by Niklas View Post
{ So, just so I don't misunderstand anything, basically you want me to sign a document that allows any nation to colonize any planet within the systems currently under my control that I have not already put down 10k people on? If that is indeed a yes, then this document will require some amendments before it gets a Chinese signature... }
Quote:
Originally Posted by Symphony D. View Post
Article VI
The conditions presented in Articles IV and V are not retroactive upon any pre-existing claim of the States Parties of the Treaty.
OOC: Reading: doubleplusgood.

Iggy, I really don't appreciate your effort to run the clock. Make a deal or call it off.
Old Apr 22, 2008, 02:59 PM   #827
Lord_Iggy
Tsesk'ihe

Okay, in simple language, we've agreed that:

We will lift our economic restrictions on your colony at Zenit, and recognize your sovereignty over the colonized planet.

There will be economic normalization between the European Union and the Russian Federation.

There will be no division of space into zones of control.
Old Apr 22, 2008, 03:04 PM   #828
Symphony D.
Deity

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lord_Iggy View Post
Okay, in simple language [...]
OOC: Correct.
Old Apr 22, 2008, 04:08 PM   #829
Niklas
Fully Functional

{ Reading is really good yes, but understanding is even better. Thanks for the clarification. }

China hereby signs and ratifies the Treaty on Principles Governing the Activities of States in the Colonization and Applied Use of Space

Undefeated Board Game Champion :|: DipNES2, Council Diplomacy, BlaDipNES, DipNES3, RiskNESII, RiskNESIII, DipEuropeII, DipWorldIII: Victory!
Old Apr 22, 2008, 04:56 PM   #830
Symphony D.
Deity

Quote:
{ Reading is really good yes, but understanding is even better. Thanks for the clarification. }
OOC: I'd really have to say the two are synonymous in this instance.
Old Apr 22, 2008, 05:54 PM   #831
Niklas
Fully Functional

{ Obviously not since I read but still didn't understand. }

Old Apr 22, 2008, 05:58 PM   #832
Symphony D.
Deity

Quote:
{ Obviously not since I read but still didn't understand. }
OOC: The text is pretty unambiguous. Leaves few places for the fault to remain.
Old Apr 23, 2008, 04:26 PM   #833
Azale
Natural Killer Rhymes!

Well umm...I think Head Serf just kinda left NESing...so it might be important to seek out a new USA
Azale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 23, 2008, 05:47 PM   #834
Chandrasekhar
Determined

Quote:
Originally Posted by Azale View Post
Well umm...I think Head Serf just kinda left NESing...so it might be important to seek out a new USA
Well, damn. How inconsiderate. If some NESer would like to take the USA, I'd accept orders for them a few days after the deadline, but otherwise I'll have to NPC them for now.

Also, note that today is the day of the deadline. I'd like all remaining orders to be submitted as early as possible.
Old Apr 23, 2008, 05:57 PM   #835
Symphony D.
Deity

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chandrasekhar View Post
If some NESer would like to take the USA, I'd accept orders for them a few days after the deadline, but otherwise I'll have to NPC them for now.
OOC: Hopefully where some ≠ any.
Old Apr 23, 2008, 08:19 PM   #836
flyingchicken
99 117 110 116 115

Wumbology: Oh, oh, pick me, pick me!

If Chandrasekhar can show me Head Serf's orders or his general course of action (that aren't exposed in the updates) for the past five turns and maybe nation-specific things that the USA player might need to know, I'd like to take a shot at being the President of the United States.
flyingchicken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 23, 2008, 08:37 PM   #837
Chandrasekhar
Determined

Quote:
Originally Posted by flyingchicken View Post
Wumbology: Oh, oh, pick me, pick me!

If Chandrasekhar can show me Head Serf's orders or his general course of action (that aren't exposed in the updates) for the past five turns and maybe nation-specific things that the USA player might need to know, I'd like to take a shot at being the President of the United States.
You have no idea how relieved I am to hear that. I'll get together all the American orders still in my PM box, and compose a quick writeup to go along with it.
Old Apr 23, 2008, 08:59 PM   #838
Lord_Iggy
Tsesk'ihe

Orders sent...
Old Apr 24, 2008, 11:20 AM   #839
das
Regeneration In Process

Quote:
I'd like to take a shot at being the President of the United States.
I didn't notice the "being" part when I first read this.

Anyway, I'm relieved too; flyingchicken is far from the worst of people we could have had in Washington D.C.

By the way, did I need to send my orders to Niklas as well? It doesn't seem so, but I'd like to be sure.
"Her Majesty has terrible dreams. She sees England as a small country that lives in peace, and no one at the court dares tell her that Rome started out the same way. His Catholic Majesty was once content with ruling half the world; I am afraid we will have to take all of it." - Humphrey Gilbert
"I am not at all a friend of humanity, Viscount replied. I am the enemy of its enemies." - S. Vititsky, "The Search for Designation, or the Twenty Seventh Theorem of Ethics".

天命
das is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 24, 2008, 02:15 PM   #840
Chandrasekhar
Determined

No, there's no need for governors to forward their orders to their nations' players.