Former and colony pod graphics

My oppinion:

Both units look rather poor; individually as well as compared to each other. Model size and model proportions are particularly bad; lacking a consistent look.

However, the next patch seems to focus on units and graphics (if we succeed with the current projects), so it would make sense to present the unit graphics that we have (even if they are horrible). We are asking for both help and feedback and the unit graphics section definitely could use more attention.

Looking at the image I get a lot of ideas on how to improve the unit graphics without having to go through complex models and designs. For example, I would like for the terraformer and colony pod to share the same set of treads; same proportions and size. So, if I should suggest a place to start it would be producing a "treads module" (either using exiting treads from other unit models or creating new ones).

Size is just a matter of changing the scale in Unit artdefines I believe. I don't know what the desired scale should be though, so it's not something I can do. But I hope to soon upload a new internal all-in-one download with these graphics included.

I'll send woodelf a PM to this thread. Are you willing to discuss with him suggestions for improvements?

Make the treads a bit less dark, also. The contrast between them and the rest of the models makes them look cartoony.

Wodan

Yo Rubin, since you mentioned model size not being good, would you like to mess around a little with the former/CP fScale in CIV4ArtDefines_Unit.xml?

I think they look better even in original SMAC :p Well, maybe that's because they're small in SMAC and here they're way too big for their level of detail.

Yo Rubin, since you mentioned model size not being good, would you like to mess around a little with the former/CP fScale in CIV4ArtDefines_Unit.xml?

Size is probably not the critical issue here, rather it is the proportions... and I think good results can be achieved by a few simple adjustments or guidelines in the creation process.

Here's an image depicting different proportions of the treads:

My suggestion is to make the proportions consistent throughout all unit designs. I hope this makes sense.

I really want to change the colors. I don't like how dark the black treads are, and I really don't like the lime green. If others agree, I'll give a screenshot of my suggested colors.

Wodan

My suggestion is to make the proportions consistent throughout all unit designs. I hope this makes sense.

I get it now. :)

Woodelf is um not interested at the moment though.

Don't know if anyone else can do it though. GarretSidzaka said to give a shout if we needed anything, but IIRC he also said he was good at retexturing but not at reboning, whatever that may be. I assume it would be needed here though.

I really want to change the colors. I don't like how dark the black treads are, and I really don't like the lime green. If others agree, I'll give a screenshot of my suggested colors.

I'd prefer SMAC yellow for the former. :D And you?

Any objections to moving this thread to the public forum? The_Reckoning offered to do some modelling. Perhaps he can have a look at former and/or rover.

well, im not doing any moddling for WH at the moment so i could reskin that if you provide a good example of what it should look like (ie a big picture ~400 x 400 pixels)
i basically cut-n-paste my textures, so if you give me the basics i can make the texture :p

i agree that the scales are a bit iffy, but thats really finishing touches ;)

Hey you could standardise the tread model. I whipped up this pair, and then we could all build the modules onto them. Someone could that it and make a standard skinmap too.

Remember to scale the module models to them, and not the other way around. Then the scale factor for putting them into the game can be kept exactly the same, so the in-game treads are exactly the same size.

Tell me if you want any detail added to them. I figured I'd keep them plain and low-poly.

http://forums.civfanatics.com/uploads/62479/treads2.zip

Spoiler :

Detail should be added to the skin, not the model. I think you did exactly right. Excellent!

Wodan

The_Reckoning, the treads look good. Nice and simple. To complete the "treads module", I think we need a chassis structure of some kind.

In this image of a model done by Refar, you can see the outline of a lowered chassis component, supporting an elevated "platform" between the treads. The platform rises slightly above the treads:

The idea is to put the "weapon module" (colony module, terraformer module, supply module (optionally weapon/cockpit module)) onto the platform and the unit is done.

The image simply illustrates the idea. The SMAC/X chassis doesn't look like this and you may have a different idea of how a chassis component could look.

In this image of a model done by Refar

You mean he made a model readily usable in Civ4? :confused: Or is this only a concept image somehow made?

Psychic_Llamas: unfortunately units can't show up bigger than this in SMAC:

You mean he made a model readily usable in Civ4? :confused: Or is this only a concept image somehow made?

Several months ago, Refar did a nice series of treaded prototypes. The units remain unfinished in the .nif versions (although they are readily usable in Civ4 and looking rather nice).

Top Bottom