Welcome PM to new members

Thunderfall

Administrator
Administrator
I just finished installing a hack that automatically dispatches a welcome PM to a new member when he/she activates his/her account.

The welcome PM says something like:

PM Title: Welcome to CivFanatics Forum!

PM Body:

Hi $username,

Welcome to the Civilization Fanatics' Forum! Before posting on the forum, please take some time to read through the forum rules and the forum FAQ:

RULES: http://forums.civfanatics.com/forumRules.shtml
FAQ: http://forums.civfanatics.com/misc.php?s=&action=faq

The forum rules page outlines the rules that all members are expected to follow in order to preserve a pleasant and friendly atmosphere on the forum. The forum FAQ contains info on various forum features such as avatars and smilies.

If you still have questions about the forum after reading the above documents, please feel free to post them in the Site Feedback forum (http://forums.civfanatics.com/forumdisplay.php?s=&forumid=19).

Have fun posting and happy Civing! :)

Regards,
Thunderfall
Administrator

PS: Now is a good time to go to your User Control Panel to give yourself a cool looking Civish avatar. :) To give yourself a custom title, you'll need to have 10 or more posts and have registered in the forum for at least 10 days.
What other things do you think I should say in the welcome PM?

I like that idea! :yeah:

Very cool hack. :cooool:

This place just gets cozier and cozier doesn't it?:D

Why not send in the form of an email or incl in the activation email? Newcomers may not be able to handle PMs at first login.

Or he could explain about PMs in the PM!:D:lol: Oh wait, that wouldn't work...why not explain how to access the welcome PM in the activation email?(drawing off of what Knight-Dragon said)

Originally posted by Knight-Dragon
Why not send in the form of an email or incl in the activation email? Newcomers may not be able to handle PMs at first login.
PM is better... New user already gets the account activation and welcome email. :)

I just hope I don't get too many "Thank you" PM replies to the welcome PM. :crazyeye:

You could place a disclaimer at the bottom that this PM is an automated message, please do not reply. :)

You could add in there the names of ALL the moderators at the bottom. Say something like:

Regards from the CivFanatics staff:

MODERATORS:
PH, AoA, blah blah(real forum names of course)

ADMIN:
Thunderfall :king:

Maybe, Maybe not. ;)

When I first joined I was warned about "spam" "trolling" and "flaming" not being allowed. Not being into computers or jargon much I had NO IDEA what these terms meant. I just looked at the rules and saw Spam is defined but not the other stuff.

How about some sort of description/glossary for those terms -and any others frequently used here?

It also took me a while to work out what BTW and IMHO meant too - but then I'm probably just thick :crazyeye:

starlifter posts welcome messages/adverts for the Civ 2 GotM all over the place but it's not that bad philippe. It's a crime to impersonate a police officer so God knows what the terrible punishment for impersonating TF would be ;).
I think it's an excellent idea to send these messages though - a good way to welcome people and to avoid any embarassment on either part if a newbie breaks several forum rules with the first post. I doubt that this happens a lot but it's better to make sure they know what the rules are beforehand. Well done TF! :goodjob:

In my role as unofficial forum spellchecker and grammar book, I can assure you that the wording is fine. :D

Originally posted by duke o' york
God knows what the terrible punishment for impersonating TF would be ;).

Some members did pretend to own the site and they were eventually warned to stop doing it, after they continued to post it on every new member thread.

But you did get a welcome email Pilliphiy...

Hey I got an idea! How about a 3 day ban when they sign up? And just to make it fair, we can do it for all active members retro-actively!!! :goodjob:

Originally posted by Thunderfall
I just finished installing a hack that automatically dispatches a welcome PM to a new member when he/she activates his/her account.

The welcome PM says something like:

PM Title: Welcome to CivFanatics Forum!

PM Body:

What other things do you think I should say in the welcome PM?

Now i wanna join again.*sigh*

Thunderfall, wont you please send one to me?:love:

actualy, maybe he should send one to members who joined recently to. they may not have gotten the hang of most things yet either

Top Bottom