The Domestic Department and the War

eyrei

Deity
Retired Moderator
To begin, I would like to say that I fully support our current war with Greece, as well as General Falcon's decision to insist upon the withdrawal of Greek forces in our territory. Alexander is not to be trusted, and neither are his soldiers.

We are a republic, and with free speech comes the propensity for rioting. Rather than wait for "war weariness" to shut down our cities temporarily, I would like to offer two possibilities for dealing with this.

One way to counter the effects of this war on the attitudes of our population is to build police stations in our major cities to ensure that, while the people may disagree with the governments actions, that they do not disrupt the normally functions of that city. The useful side effect of this is that this will also reduce corruption.

The other way can be done in two ways. If we raise the luxury slider to 10%, it will eliminate most unhappiness caused by war weariness or otherwise. If we do it now (before any signs of war weariness), the added benefits are that this may well cause WLTK days in many cities, helping to reduce their corruption. It also will prevent loss of production on the turn that war weariness strikes (which is quite unpredictable; I am guessing 10-20 turns depending on how aggressive we are), shutting down a good number of our cities. If we wait, we make more money per turn in the meantime, but are likely to lose production for a turn in much of our empire when it strikes.

Basically, other than changing of build queues to support the war effort, I would like life in Phoenatica to remain peaceful and productive while we war with the Greeks.

Please discuss.

im pro your proposal, and also we should look to only keep the war up for 4-5 turns after the 1st strike to reach our goals.

I would like to request that military units in the build queues produce equal or more Artillary than Infantry.

Originally posted by disorganizer
im pro your proposal, and also we should look to only keep the war up for 4-5 turns after the 1st strike to reach our goals.

Because of the military units available right now, a quick strike is not really a possibility unless Greece has not upgraded its forces. I intend to prepare for a prolonged war.

I have already included artillery in Istar's build queues, Falcon. If you would like, I will have Chie produce artillery instead of Infantry, as well.

Everyone in Phoenatica is happy except for one content citizen in Justinian. (We do have some entertainers at work.) Raising the luxury rate to 10% will make that one citizen happy but I doubt the cost (in research and gold) is worth it. We still have a chance of securing Indian silks and I think that should be done before we raise the luxury spending rate. In a long war we may be much better off keeping our research rate high. Perhaps we will develope new weapons...

As for an offensive war, what are we going to attack with? Our choices are infantry or cavalry or a combination of both. I would not rule out the effectiveness of producing more cavalry. They are slightly cheaper than infantery to produce, they attack as well as infantry and can move much faster.

There's really only two problems with Cavalry, lower defence if attacked behind enemy lines and the problem of obsoleteness when Tanks come. I guess we could produce more cavalry, but they'd end up being used as obsolete garrisons in the future.

And Eyrei, yes, please switch Chie to Artillery production.

A cavalry / artillery combination can still be effective in this era with sufficient infantry to protect the guns. There will be no quick victories without massive losses, as we will have to bombard most towns for a few turns, hopefully knocking out their barracks in the process.

Has anyone seen if Greece has any Stacks of Doom still in action? If so, we will need to keep the artillery available to cripple an attack stack.

Bill
...in PDX, ready for war, and still happy as all get out

I support your proposal Eyrei.

Originally posted by donsig
Everyone in Phoenatica is happy except for one content citizen in Justinian. (We do have some entertainers at work.) Raising the luxury rate to 10% will make that one citizen happy but I doubt the cost (in research and gold) is worth it. We still have a chance of securing Indian silks and I think that should be done before we raise the luxury spending rate. In a long war we may be much better off keeping our research rate high. Perhaps we will develope new weapons...

As for an offensive war, what are we going to attack with? Our choices are infantry or cavalry or a combination of both. I would not rule out the effectiveness of producing more cavalry. They are slightly cheaper than infantery to produce, they attack as well as infantry and can move much faster.

I am aware that all of the in-game citizens are happy. However, the effects of war weariness are sudden and dramatic, often turning all happy citizens in a city to content and all content and a few happy to discontent. This does not happen slowly, but suddenly, and can shut down most of an empire for a turn.

I think the luxaries are good, so long as it doesn't compromise Research or hurt the gpt too severly.

I'm pretty much agreeing with Donsig. One of the reasons we stayed in a Republic was because of the "tremendous" war weariness benefits. Let's us them for a bit. I can run a war in democracy for a good stretch. I don't see a need to cut our income or research at this point. I realize we're going to get a slight increase in productivity because someone declared war on us. But this increase won't outwiegh a premature cut in research or income IMHO.

How about a compromise? We pursue the silks deal, and keep research rates steady for now, but if we can't secure the silks within say 5-7 turns (War weariness won't set in any faster than that), we go to the 10% luxury rate, still avoiding the "turn of doom". (I agree with eryei on that point, I have seen it happen too many times in my games that they all hit their limit at once!).

I think a 7 turn span is very workable. It will give us those extra research turns we'll need to get thru the flight tech and on to our tanks.

i think the war will not last for 7 turns. we could declare peace for a city or two in maybe 2-3 turns, after we captured all cities of kashmir occupied by the greeks. then the babs will finish them off.

Lets just wait and see how the offensive goes in the first few turns. I reckon the Greeks are going to crumble pdq. It may be all over inside 5 turns.

Top Bottom