How to relocate savefolders and so on?

agc28

Warlord
OK. Problem is: my user account on Winxp is named in Chinese. So the directory above My Documents is named in Chinese (which can't be changed)

and Civ4, being a lousy program, cannot read Chinese. So If I save games under the default save directory, they aren't visible through the game directory. And I can only save in a directory that doesn't contain a chinese name. I have to choose that directory manually every time i save, which is a pain.

A bigger problem is. I can't save the options (which i assume, also go under My Documents somewhere). If i disable minimize popups, next time i start a game, pop ups will still be there as if i had never change the options. I assume this is the same problem as saving games.

Someone help please.
Thanks

Right-click on Civ4 shortcut > Properties > change Target line to
"C:\Program Files\Firaxis Games\Sid Meier's Civilization 4\Civilization4.exe" /altroot=C:\path\to\civ4stuff

This moves Saves directory and CivilizationIV.ini there so it should fix both problems

Kind of similar problem here: I have done the same thing but still the problem appears when I load a mod. My settings are saved fine when I run civ without any mod loaded, but when I load a mod, they reset to default. It sucks not being able to use mods because of this.

I'm having problems getting this to work on XP. I've got a BTS shortcut, set up to run as an administrative account, while loading the HOF mod. This has worked great for me, except that the game saves my files into my administrative "my games" folder, which I can't access from my limited account user. I tried to set up my game to run from my "shared docs" folder, but I could only set the default save location to my limited account "my games" folder. I have my target field set up like this:

"C:\location of BTS" /altroot=C:shared games folder mod= Mods\HOF-3.17.001
Do I need to seperate the altroot command and the mod command somehow?

Yes, I also tried using this notation:

"C:\location of BTS" mod= Mods\HOF-3.17.001 /altroot=C:shared games folder

It just gave me an invalid mod warning and booted the normal game.

Top Bottom