BTS Roleplaying Challenge: Alexander

Cam_H

Deity

(That's role playing to a certain extent!)

I’m putting forward this BTS Roleplaying Challenge as an ‘open challenge’ for everyone to have a go at rather than a progressively played single game. Alexander is notably an original game (non-expansion / vanilla) leader, but this game is presented as a BtS save (patched to 3.13 with Bhruic's patch).

Unlike Stalin’s or Shaka’s challenges, there are multiple victory options for the protagonist;
  • Conquest
  • Domination
  • Cultural
  • Time
Both Diplomatic and Space have been turned off.​

Note ‘house rules’ that the player must self-impose:
  • Alexander has unrestricted access in terms of diplomacy with the Egyptians (Ramesses II) and the Romans (Julius Caesar). He can open borders, trade technologies, trade resources, exchange maps, etc. as per a standard game with these two tribes.

• Alexander has stringent diplomatic restrictions with the Celts (Brennus), Carthaginians (Hannibal), Persians (Darius I), and the Indians (Asoka).

Unless the foreign empire becomes a vassal of Greece, there will be; no open borders, no trading technology, and furthermore no gifts or demands will be made or provided between the Greeks and these nations.

Signing for peace with these tribes must be done with no ‘strings attached’; it must be only the Peace deal (i.e. no suing for Peace from either side) unless the enemy is prepared to capitulate and become a vassal.

If the foreign tribe is prepared to capitulate, then Greece can not accept technology, cities or gold as part of the initial capitulation deal, although can negotiate once the tribe has become a vassal (see next).

If the foreign tribe becomes a vassal of Greece, then while it is in a state of vassalage there are no diplomatic restrictions between Greece and its vassal. For instance, if India becomes a vassal of Greece, the two tribes may trade resources, exchange maps, and so forth.

If the foreign tribe (Celts, Carthaginians, Persians, Indians) breaks free from its state of vassalage with Greece, then the diplomatic state reverts back to the original; no trades, no open borders.​

• Alexander must build The Parthenon world wonder in the first settled city being Athens. Failure to build this Wonder in Athens will be considered to be a game loss / defeat.

So a quick re-cap;
  • Normal diplomacy with Romans and Egyptians.
  • Can not open borders or trade with (incl. gifts) the Celts, Carthaginians, Persians, or Indians.
  • Peace deals and capitulation deals with Celts, Carthaginians, Persians, or Indians can not come with 'added extras' such as cities, gold, resources, or technologies.
  • If an empire capitulates to Greece, all prior diplomatic retrictions are lifted while that empire remains a vassal.
  • Athens being the first Greek city must build The Parthenon.

The difficulty level is quite ‘moderate’ – Prince with Aggressive AI. Players used to more difficult levels are invited to demonstrate successful strategies (or indeed add further restrictions of their own, such as prohibiting Workers from building Cottages), while the difficulty level may also allow players at Noble-Monarch levels an enjoyable game that offers a good chance at an early victory. The map is a normal sized Pangaea with low sea level and arid climate:

... and the start;

Wrapped in ‘spoiler’ tags participants are invited to post their saves, and importantly outline their strategies for the benefit of others ... after all, this is the Strategies and Tips Forum!

Please enjoy the game – I look forward to seeing some good wins and getting insight into successful strategies.

Attachments

• Alexander the Great BC-4000.CivBeyondSwordSave
    38.5 KB · Views: 149
I probably won't play along, but this looks like a fun game.

Spoiler :
I would probably settle on the marble. You don't give up any appealing-looking tiles, you gain the fish, and you gain enhanced early hammers for cranking out a workboat for that fish tile. You also then don't have to spend the pile of turns to build and road the quarry meaning easy access to oracle.

Looks cool. I might shadow, might not..

Spoiler :
Settling on the Marble seems like the best idea. You lose the Clams, but get early access to Fish and Marble. Also, you'll settle on a Plains/Hill, giving you more hammers towards a Work Boat and The Parthenon. Forests are in range as well.

This looks like fun; I think I will give it a whirl

Spoiler :
I agree with the previous posts that their is only one correct move, and that is to move, and settle ontop of the marble. The surrounding territory that you can not see will depict how I initially tech/grow, but looks fun ...

Played it out for a few turns, but I think I forgot to save (hit Alt-F4 before Ctrl-S)...

Spoiler :
Settled on the marble. Tech Path was Agriculture/The Wheel/Pottery/Mining/Bronze Working. Athen's build order was WorkBoat/ Worker/Warrior/Settler/Barracks/Phalanxes. Copper in Athenian BFC led to Phalanx rush of Carthage and Persia. Heading for a Conquest by 700 AD...

I'm having a crack.

Lemme see... Rameses, Julius good , Hannibal, Brennus, Darius, Asoka bad. got it.

Good to see it's generating some interest! :)

Gooblah - no 'shadow' required, anyone can play.

Mice - pretty well, although I recall in the Stalin challenge that several players successfully went after neighbouring Gandhi who was also a 'friendly' :devil:.

Spoiler :
Playing this and having some fun. Building lots of wonders, expanding peacefully for now, no need for a war for a while. Built Sparta way up on the Corn/Clam/Banana/Cows site up by Egypt, and whipped Great Library there. Once I got Monarchy it turns out to be a mega-science city.

I'm posting because Carthage is offering a city to me, unsolicited, with no strings attached! He settled a junk city down by the wine. But I can't take it, due to the rules.

I settled on top of the Marble so I could easily get the marble wonders without having to get The Wheel first to hook it up. Missed out on Pyramids though, Rome got it while sacrificing early REX.

Wow, this got to be the Open game with the best intro/presentation! :thumbsup:

only things is it might be hard for some players to stick precisely by the "rules".

Thanks for that - you wouldn't believe how long it took to chisel out some of those leaders' mugs!

I haven't found previously that the rules have been a problem for players. I was going to force a 'no building cottages' rule, but wasn't sure how that would play out on an arid map. :undecide:

I suspect Prince level probably scares you a bit, but if you had the time to play it, it'd be great. :)

This looks fun, Arid? ok, I would have to come up with completely different strategy for this one.

But looks like Oracle->MC sling + Colusis + GL + Forge GE rush Pyramid might be a strong opening :)

I was going to force a 'no building cottages' rule, but wasn't sure how that would play out on an arid map. :undecide:

I'm going to impose a "no cottages" rule on myself, but (and it's a big but) I do this to compensate for the horrendous advantages I've given myself with this save. Explanation ...

I decided to really enjoy this set up and so pasted the world builder save into Public maps and reloaded it as a custom scenario through my own settings. This makes my attempt Not Count and invalid as a strategy attempt.

However, it's going to be good.

I'm playing it through Dale's Combat Mod. Also at Noble level-Agg AI - (because the DCM stack attack tends to make the ai's warring as good as the players)

Then to top it all off I played it a Marathon speed .

The idea is to dominate the foe before maces and Knights come a long, and therefore add to the flavour.

Sorry to completely skew the settings Cam, but I know you float these games for the forum to enjoy so I thought I'd go to my most enjoyable settings.

So far ... met the neighbours, building stonehenge.

Spoiler :
Like most, I settled here

Mice,

Don't mind at all! Thanks for the extra effort! :)

Another restrictive variant that passed through my tiny mind was that all :gp:s to be used only in Golden Ages. Anyway - done now. I instead went with the pretty straightforward settings that will hopefully engage the 'Prince-ish' level players, while the involvement of players at the top level can really show how it's played.

Spoiler :

Interesting land after a scout, veiwed from North of Athens . A lot of desert, but some scattered resources.

After building Stonehenge

I set about building a road to the Hannibal land with a mind to killing him and his progeny.

An army of phalanxes formed up and headed into find Carthage. On a hill protected by a river. The phalanx army move to the hill to prepare to siege.

First archers barrage the defenders to weaken them .

Then the attack.

It's not pretty, but Carthage is ours.

Then on to Utica, on a grassland plain with no walls or cultural defence,

It falls and Carthage is whipped out. Hannibal who ?

Next to build up the economy. The Oracle arrives and delivers Codes of Law.

Settle horses to the north west, and fight off the barbs.

Borders closed to the bad guys, and the good guys are Jewish both . I founded Confu-tzu but would go Jewish if I could, to secure the west borders for at least a few centuries.

I send a Confucian missionary out to Rameses, but it's clear that I need to convert to Judaism. I just don't have the religion yet.

Looking at the land

it seems that Darius needs attacking, but not just yet. That's a lot of desert to march an army over, but, that is Alexander's forte.

With a 'no cottages' policy, we will need that dye and gold , and caste system for scientists and merchants.

Aesthetics in, Parthenon being constructed. Then Philo + food econ will drive Greece to glory.

Played until 600AD, self-researching everything is a little different from my usual games :) was fun.. I stick by the no trading rules, but played this game as i would any game without other restrictions.

Spoiler :

2800BC:

Popped copper in BFC, very nice. getting 2nd worker then follow by a settler to settle right next to Carthage (those nice floods). Popped Wheel from a hut.

2240BC: Settled Sparta, seems have Carthage trapped.

Sparta will become a very nice commerce city, i dont normally cottage early but will this game. Should help early conquests.

1640BC:

DOW on Hannibal with 6 Phalanx..

1480BC:

captured Carthage. Lost 3 phalanx.

1280BC: Sparta blocked Hannibal in the North, he settled a bad place further south, 3 phalanx was handy to wipe him out.

300BC:

I have high expectations from Carthage as my main GScientist farm. Whipping GL here, it has plenty of food and will run scientists here exclusively. Will drop NE here later to speed GS gen rate.

on the other hand, Athens is the main wonder spam city with assortment of GPP, it had gen 2 Great spys (1 settled, 1 built Scottland yard), 1 GPriest settled, 1 Merchant (trade mission for 900 gold).

275BC:

Tech chart

50AD:

1st GS pop, i have very high EP against everyone, can see Darius close to Philo, so I bulbed it to found Tao. Sorry Darius, try better next time..

500AD: JC on me, he even had some Prats, haha, but my shock Phalanx held them off. Mean time Brennus settled in between my cities, had to DOW on him to raze that city so i could reinforce Ainu.

already got 2 GG from fighting JC in my territory (GW effect), settled 1 in HE city, 2nd will be a medic3 chariot to lead troops into offensive.

520AD: heavy fight.

4 specialized cities at 600AD:

600AD: Capital, vey nice wonder spam city with Moai Statues. Just hooked up stone going for Ank Wat.

HE city dedicated pumping 2 promotion troops.

Great Scientist Farm:

Sparta the commerce city:

Just got CS, had MOM, will burn the GA from Music on a extended golden age, will switch to Bueuacracy, and maybe later to Caste. Get some more wonders built and we are in good shape. another GS coming, will bulb Education. Will take on Darius next probably after Brennus.. 2 of my eastern cities are captured barb cities.

I want to see someone just burn down the world. You want wonders? I give you ... carthage!

Might give this a whirl (depending on fitting it in with other games). Might consider a restriction of 'cannot declare war on Rome or Egypt'.

I will give this a try once my off-line game is complete even though this is standard speed.

One question, you RPCs have alot more historical accuracy than mine. Why are the Roamns and Egyptians the allies of Big Al while the Celts/Persians/Indians/Carthaginians the bade dudes?

madscientist does raise a point; why Rome and Egypt? The Persians were the mortal enemy of Greece (Thermopylae, Marathon, Salimis, Plataea, not to mention Alexander's conquests of Persia), that makes sense, but why Carthage (whom they had little conflict with) the Celts (virtually unknown in classical Greece), or the Indians (whom Alexander fought, but only at the end of his conquests)...wheras the Romans conquered Greece (Macedon), prompting the phrase "Pyrrhic victory" (should be an enemy) and the Egyptians were conquered by Alexander (although part of Persian empire at the time)...Cam H, I like the historical attempt, just need to figure out who the real bad guys and good guys should be

I am still fairly new to BTS, and I normally play Epic speed, but I will give this a try.
Spoiler :
I chose to settle 1E of the marble, wasting 2 full turns to do so. Note, I didnt explore or anything, I just knew I wanted that Marble hill to work rather than settle on. Seems ok for now, but two whole turns on "Normal" may do me in, heh.

Top Bottom