Role Play Challenge: Asoka and the Doomsday Machine

madscientist

RPC Supergenius
Welcome to the next installment on MY ongoing RPC games.

The purpose is for entertainment and some education on a type of strategy. The strategy this game is less obvious than others, trying to focus more on the uses or religion for diplomacy and leveraging the AP.

Asoka has a revalation as a child that he must unite the world under the true belief of the Buddha. Once he discovers enlightenment (upon teching meiditation) he must use that knowledge to unfluence other nations, or bring them under it's banner for the good of those people (aka, forced conversion). Upon discovery of meditation and Buddhism, he is granted the blessings of the Buddha and supplied with a weapon from the future to defend the faith, a modern Armored Tank. But he is to use this in defence of the faith!!!!

So there we go. I will not start the game until next week but as the rules are going to be fairly complex I wanted to open this up as a prethread to get some input

Settings

Pangea Map
Monarch, marathon speed
Random sea levels and terrain (we need a little randomness in outr lives!)
Agressive AIs

Preselected AIs (they cannot start with mysticism but I will consider any)

Shaka
Alexander
Kublai Khan
Stalin
Julius Caesar
Sitting Bull

Rules
1) Asoka must start by teching meditation and discovering Buddhism. This is the only religion he can found. He must produce a Great Prophet first for the shrine.
2) He must adopt Buddhism and stay there the entire game. Free Religion is off limits
3) He must open borders (or try) with all Buddhist leaders. He cannot open borders or trade with leaders that have other state religions. Leaders adopting Free Religion are tolerated. There is one exception to the rule, Asoka may open border with a heathen only if he is running Mercatilism and theocracy.
4) He cannot refuse a request from a Buddhist leader (similar to Washington's ladies request).
5) He must go to war in defense of any Buddhist leader UNLESS it's a Budhist versus Buddhsit fight
6) He must try and declare peace ASAP at all costs (short of giving a city) to a Buddhist leader he is at war with.
7) He must spread Buddhism to as many cities as possible.
8) He cannot send a spy against a Buddhist leader.
9) He can never build any foreign religious buildings.
10) If at war he captures another holy city, it MUST be razed.
11) Asoka is not permitted to vassal anyone. A heathen vassal of a Buddhist leader cannot be traded with.

The weapon of the Gods:
1) I need a volunteer to take the first save (after teching meditiation) enter worldbuilder and give Asoka a modern armored tank.
2) The Tank cannot be moved outside of Indian cultural borders. It is only for defense of the Indian homeland.
3) Once the AI developes the ability to make tanks (industrialization and oil) the weapon of teh God's may be used outside cultural boundaries.

Guidelines:
1) Asoka should try for the following wonders as soon as they are available: AP, Swadolyn Palace, Christo Redentor. Others he can get at will providing his first GP is a prophet.
2) No bribing AIs into wars.
3) Asoka should generally promote peace, however he can defend the faith if need be.
4) Ideally every city should be Buddhist by the end of the game, if possible.

Victory condition:

AP Diplomatic
UN Diplomatic
Cultural
Domination
Conquest

Space race and time are prohibited from the game!

OK, we are open for comments and suggestions. I will post the opening start tomorrow ao all have a shot at suggesting a change in the map.

One final thing, I will not restart this game unless for some odd reason the AI techs meditation first (such as popping Mysticism from a hut). If I lose we move onto The Glory of Rome.

OK our enlightened leader

And the start

The random map generator has given us a cold climate.

Wow I'd have a hard time remembering so many rules if I put that much on myself. :hammer2:

I would think a diplomatic win via the AP would be the smoothest ride for this one. But you never really know until the map is there and you've got the lay of the land (and the foes).

The part about not being allowed to found any other religion will be fun, as it means you will have to wait for the AI to research certain key techs first - in this case most notably Theology. Can't get there first, but have to get it not soon after the AI so you can get the AP first, and you will have had to delay the prerequisite religious technologies already because of the rule. So you'll definitely want enough espionage, and early, to be able to tell what the other civs are researching.

That modern armor will impact power rating immensely in the early stage. Will be interesting to see how the warmonger civs react to that.

can i ask for clarification on the tank?
when you say the indian homeland does that also include captured cities?
Can the tank leave the borders if its back by the end of the turn
What happens if it gets destroyed? Its possible the AI may build spearmen :spear:

Rule 8 seems redundant, if they are a buddhist leader you can still spread their state religion under theocracy

I think you will want a GE so you can hurry the AP straight after theology

and good luck converting those heathens

How can you spread a religion to heathens if you cannot open borders with them?

Misionaries only in heathen borders?

@Bestie
If the tanks get's destroyed that Asoka's problem. The game continues as a normal game.

Cultural borders include Conquered land. The tank may cross nuetral land but cannot end it's turn in nuetral land.

You are correct regarding Rule 8.

@ Queen. I'll consider Qin and Ramses, particularly Ramses.

@Mesousa- Yep, No OR until Judaism. I am hoping it get's spread out a bit. My biggest concern is having to avoid CoL and those cheap courthouses.

@ CIVMcNUT- Well when religion is involved, things always get complicated!!!!

@ Quoty and Diamondeye

Very good question. I'll have to figure that out!!!!

But I am thinking that at least one city will become Buddhist, use a spy to swap relgions (is there a spy mission for that). Or the simpler way to declare war.

Asoka has his instructions from the god's, he must find a way!

@madscientist; thanks for the clarification

How can you spread a religion to heathens if you cannot open borders with them?

Misionaries only in heathen borders?

there is nothing to stop other leaders spreading buddhism around, but this doesn't seem to fit in with the tone of the RPC
maybe only missionaries may enter heathen lands; something about their faith protecting them

I suppose if you want to balance out the two rules--no trading with heathens, spreading Buddhism to as many cities as possible--you can open borders with non-Buddhist leaders, but only while running both Mercantilism and Theocracy. This will allow you to do your holy work while still shielding your people from heathen influences in the form of missionaries and trade routes.

In the meantime, I suppose the best you can do is gift your missionaries to other Buddhist nations and see if their more worldly outlook can advance your holy agenda.

OP has been updated with slight rule changes (I like the OB with merc and theoc) and adjusted rule 8

Start has been posted.

Wow. Lots of rules!

Tree unforested hills? I've reckon there's some hiden resourses on one of those bad boys.

I think with the limited good land of a cold map you need to spread fast! Some aggressive settling towards the AI will allow you to cut of some land to backfill later. Its a shame about CoL as courthouses would be very usefull for those far flung cities.

Note that there are 8 squares that have been left unforested -- I doubt that he has 8 resources in his city radius! Instead, he has drawn a site that the map script thinks is good.

Hopefully, there's more to the map script's evaluation than the corn and three flood plains...
(you can tell that 2W of settler is a flood plain)

Do you have to open borders with Buddhist Leaders as soon as they convert, or can you wait? If you can wait, then REX around them, like in Unconquered Sun's current Justinian Deity Game. Backfill (or let culture take over), then open borders.

Do you have to open borders with Buddhist Leaders as soon as they convert, or can you wait? If you can wait, then REX around them, like in Unconquered Sun's current Justinian Deity Game. Backfill (or let culture take over), then open borders.
As I understand, the BtS AI tends not to settle "behind" you, so this wouldn't be necessary.

Asoka and the Doomsday Machine: Part I

Ok started the game as I planned to pause once we got meditation. Look at the maps and let's see some suggestions. I entered world builder myself and added teh tank.

First of I decided to settle in palce as all the land looked decent.

OK, corn another floodplains, forrests, hills, and marble which we should get after the second border pop.

Our scout did pretty good, a map, 37 gold and

Rather useless with the start but beggers can't be choosers.

Very quickly we meet two leaders.

Not sure where big AL is but Shaka is directly north of us. He may be a big problem, as we need to cut him off fast which is likely to tick him off.

Finally

And

I added the tank and saved the game.

Our map so far

OK, so where do we go from here?

Looks like we start teching agricultre first. Then BW since we have a god-given weapon for defense. Once we get BW then hunting/archery so we can settle some cities.

And best yet we have our UU already!!!

Your power graph should be pretty high compared to them for a big part of the game because of the tank. That might save you some unwanted early wars.

P.S. I really enjoy your games.

Top Bottom