MSMD: How to Create a Mod (video demo)

Kael

Deity
This is the begining of the MSMD series. What I hope is a helpful demo of easy steps to create a Civ4 mod. The audience I am aiming for are all those who would like to make a mod but believe it is to technically challenging. By viewing the steps to do it I am hoping that people realize that it really only takes a few minutes to make a simple mod (and from there they can tweak to their delight).

This forum has tons of fantastic articles on specific processes but I think its hard for new modders to really put all the instructions together in a way that allows them to get started. Once new modders have a foot up with these lessons I hope they go on to make mods and dig into the more detailed guides here on the forum.

Step 1:
[tab]How to Create a Mod

Step 2:
[tab]How to Add a Leader (segment 1/3)
[tab]How to Add a Leader (segment 2/3)
[tab]How to Add a Leader (segment 3/3)

Step 3:
[tab]How to Add Text

Step 4:
[tab]How to Add Audio (segment 1/2)
[tab]How to Add Audio (segment 2/2)

Step 5:
[tab]How to Add a Civilization (segment 1/2)
[tab]How to Add a Civilization (segment 2/2)

If you are having problems with the screen going red while watching the video, it is because your computer is running out of virtual memory. Take note of where you are in the video, refresh your browser and jump back to that point and you should be fine. Sorry for the inconveinance, Abode Captivate isn't the best tool in the world (if you guys know of a better screen capture tool let me know).

What do I do if I am a mac user? All these tutorials are for Windows!:mad: :gripe:

:confused: The video requires Flash to view, which I believe is available on Mac. Outside of that everything I've gone over should be similiar to the what is required to mod these things on a mac.

hhhhmmm ! Something weird : everything works fine until about 80% of the file played but then I loose sound. Any idea why I get this strange result ?

I played the first three files with same results btw so it's not on a single file.

Added a new episode "How to Add Text".

Sniperrabbit I havent seen any problems with sound cutting out.

Could these files be posted as downloadables? My computer slows down to snail's pace whenever i try to watch them :(

Oh yeah. Great work Kael. these are great :)

Had similar sound & video issues, but I still got the jist of it.

EXCELLENT WORK!!! Now I can finally start modding...

you got to love the red streams when he try to select anything ;)

That means your computer doesnt have enough virtual memory to display the video. You may want to look at your virtual memory settings.

I get a red screen too, and I have two gigs of memory.

Kael, are you sure the problem isn't on your end. Before the whole screen turns red the CP (I take it stands for capture picture) icon in the lower left hand corner turn the same color red the screen does a few seconds latter.

I get a red screen too, and I have two gigs of memory.

Kael, are you sure the problem isn't on your end. Before the whole screen turns red the CP (I take it stands for screen capture) icon in the lower left hand corner turn the same color red the screen does a few seconds latter.

Yeap, Ive watched them all all the way through and this is a reported problem with adobe captivate (the screen capture software I use) that causes that (adobe keeps all the fmv in memory instead of switching it out after its been used). I actually didnt have any virtual memory set on my pc so I had the same problem until I set it.

Would it be possible to make a smaller version? the 800x600 laptop screen I'm stuck with for now can't really appreciate th full video. Or could I fix that?

Would it be possible to make a smaller version? the 800x600 laptop screen I'm stuck with for now can't really appreciate th full video. Or could I fix that?

Probably not, I need 1024x768 because thats the smallest size you can run Civ4 at.

Kael, perhaps you should offer a DivX version for download. You can use DivX Converter to convert if Adobe Captivate can save to a video format such as MPEG.

EDIT: Just checked... looks like Adobe Captivate can't export to other video formats...

Yeah, it just exports in flash. Anyone know any other decent screen capture software that doesn't have a significant processor utilization (since im jumping in and out of civ4 I need the capture software to be low bandwidth).

Top Bottom