Modular Fall from Heaven

xienwolf

Deity
Links to Modules by other Users are on Post #2 of this thread.

This Mod-Mod requires a little bit of explaining to use properly I believe. So bear with it please.

The most important thing is that the ONLY thing which is changed in FfH itself, is to change the first setting in the .ini:

Code:
; Modular XML Loading
ModularLoading = 0

Changes to

Code:
; Modular XML Loading
ModularLoading = 1

This is the ONLY change that will be required to update this Mod-Mod when a new patch comes out. Everything else is in the folder Assets/Modules which is not a part of the standard mod. Upon first installing the mod, this change will be done for you.

Now, the other big thing about how this mod works is that it could actually be much smaller than it is. There are many files in here which are completely redundant (Schema Files). This is done for your convenience: Any change which you do not want to use, you simply delete the folder which it is in. (The changelog is sorted and named by folders for easy selection of what to delete. Every sub-bullet is a sub-folder)

That brings me to the biggest part of this Mod-mod: I am willing to entertain requests for essentially any Mod that you desire. It has to be something which can be implemented through XML alone, and ideally is something which has not been modded yet so that new people can play with all of them activated should they desire.

Spoiler Cumulative Changelog :

Cumulative Changelog
  • Event Fixes
    • View attachment 173560
      • Increased event Frequency by a factor of 2. (Primary reason for change is to make it easier to modify your own event speed if you want it much more often or much less often)
    • View attachment 173559
      • Created new Buildings as Rewards for First & Second Events.
      • Unlinked the Event Chain and made the new Buildings the Pre-Req instead
      • Event chain now works if proper choices are made. However, improper choices do not remove the buildings as the Tooltip states they should.

• AI Tweaks
    • View attachment 174003 (Requires patch to work with Fall Further: View attachment 174004)
      • Removed the Building Requirements for AI by default and hid the Option
      • Granted AI the ability to directly build upgraded Arcane Units (requires the No Building Requirements to work, which is why it is hidden now)
      • Minor Sideeffect is that if the AI actually manages to get some Mages upgraded on their own then they can bypass the 3 unit restriction
      • Changed the AI weighting to ensure that the AI does indeed build some of these units.

• View attachment 173561
    • Body
      • Rank 2: Second Skin
        • 4 Strength
        • 1 Move
        • Permanent Summon
        • Can see Invisible
        • Cannot Attack
        • Immune to First Strikes
        • Always selected as first Defender
      • Rank 3: Restrainer
        • 8 Strength +1 Body Affinity, Can use Weapons
        • 1 Move
        • Can only deal 99% Damage to any unit (Cannot kill)
    • Mind
      • Rank 2: Dominator
        • 4 Strength
        • 1 Move
        • 50% Chance to create a slave from combat
      • Rank 3: Empathic Entity
        • 0 Strength
        • 7 Move
        • Can Explore Rival Territory & Reveal Rival City Details
        • Cannot Reveal New Map
        • Ignores Terrain Costs, Can Move Through All Tiles
        • Invisible
        • Starts with: Commando
    • Spirit
      • Rank 2: Insidious Thoughts
        • 2 Strength
        • 2 Move
        • Starts with: Flying, Dominate
          • Dominate: Can Capture all Combat Unit Types
      • Rank 3: Tormenting Visions
        • 3 Strength
        • 1 Move
        • Starts with: Tormenting Visage
          • Unit Causes Fear
          • Unit selected as first target for all combat
    • Enchantment
      • Rank 2: Midas Flies
        • 2 Strength +1 Enchantment Affinity
        • 1 Move
        • Starts with: Flying
        • Produces 10 Gold from Combat Victory
      • Rank 3: Dust Swarm
        • 4 Strength
        • 1 Move
        • Starts with: Angel, Flying
        • Immune to First Strikes
        • 15 First Strikes
    • Metamagic
      • Rank 2: Dimensional Rift
        • 0 Strength
        • 7 Move
        • 3 Cargo Space
        • Starts with: Flying, Elemental
      • Rank 3: Space Fold
        • 7 Strength +2 Dimensional Affinity
        • 0 Move
        • Permanent Summon
        • Starts with: Flying
        • Explodes on Death
        • Kills self after successful combat
        • Deals full strength Collateral to 1 Unit
        • Invisible & HN

• View attachment 173893
    • Added a Stronger version of: Tiger, Gorilla
    • Added a Weaker version of: Bears
    • Enabled the Stronger versions of: Lions
    • New Lairs will automatically spawn on the map at random
    • Stronger versions spawn weaker versions and weaker versions upgrade to the stronger (Like the Wolves do)

Newest Version Changelog

• Revisions to Previous Release:
    • Revised the extra Animals to work the same as the Wolf/Wolf Pack does in Main Mod
  • New Additions:

Download the Modules you wish to use and unpack them in the folder Assets/Modules, which you will have to create for yourself if you have not used any Modules before. Then remember to turn on the Modular Loading in your .ini file and you should be able to play with the changes in effect.

WARNING FOR VISTA USERS: From reports thus far, Modular XML doesn't work for vista users. So if you want to use any of these changes you will have to load it into the mod manually. If you desire to do that but do not understand XML very well then you can ask for assistance in this thread with the process. Basically you just have to ignore any file that ends with Schema, and cut/paste parts from the other files to the end of the similarly named XML of the main mod (it doesn't matter if it is changing something which was already in the XML, so long as it is at the end of the file it will simply overwrite it).

Modules by other Members

westamastaflash:
  1. Module to add 3 new options for your gamespeed, you can download it here.

Tarquelne:
  1. New Units for the Elohim, foundhere.
  2. Paladins, Druids & Eidolons tied to specific religions, as well as new counterparts for the other religions to utilize, download here.
  3. The Amurite Siege Mage is a single unit (and unique spell) module. Download it here.
    • Alternative to this is a Module with 2 more units as well found here
  4. New Wonder which can provide Reagents found here
  5. UU versions of the Shadow & Assassin for the Calabim found here
  6. UU for the Luchuirp, the Salt Golem (Naval Unit). Available Here
  7. Undead Civilization, the Scions of Patria. Available here

Mailbox:
  1. Module to tweak Improvements (can build them without a resource present and have a chance to discover resources with them). You can download it here.
  2. The Legion of D'Tesh, an Undead/Necromantic Civilization. Available here

Farmer Bobathan:
  1. Airships for Fall from Heaven! Found here.

pimparel:
  1. Personal Mod. A general sweep through quite a few files to rebalance the game. Found here.
  2. Improved Buildings: Seeks to balance the value of working on a building with working on another unit. Found here

Apepis:
  1. Alternate Civic Options. Found here.

Future Changes
  • Already Coded
    • Removed the Improvements Module
    • Made the Metmagic 2 Summon Permanent
  • Pending Code
    • New graphics for all new units
    • Ensure that anything buildable in a forest is also buildable in an Ancient Forest

Future Additions
  • Already Coded
  • Pending Code
    • More types of Animals
    • More Barbarian Hero units
    • Allow Racial Workers to have unique Build Orders (Elves that don't remove forests, Dwarves who can Mine flatlands, Goblins who can be sacraficed for instant building of improvements)
    • Add new road types (Mystical Highways, buildable by Mages/Conjurers. Treeway Paths buildable by Elven Recon. Tunnels buildable by Dwarven Melee --- Special units being able to build them might not QUITE be possible. If so will link it to racial workers and technologies)
    • Add new class of Super Resources which provide a standard resource for trade, but better tile yields for BFC.
    • Add new "___ Ball" Spells for the other Elements.
      • Fire changed to apply On Fire promotion, which causes -25% healing rate and has 50% chance to wear off per turn
      • Water will apply Waterlogged promotion, which causes -1 Strength and has 50% chance to wear off per turn
      • Air will cause collateral Damage
      • Earth will be able to Bombard

By the way: This Mod-Mod should be 100% compatible with all other Mod-mods. And if there are any overlaps in XML changes, you can just delete the offending folder and keep the rest ;)

(ie - You can use this with Magi-Mod if you wanna)

And for those of you who do not play in English: I have documented EVERYTHING that I changed in the Civlopedia, and in all 5 languages. Please inform me if Babelfish gave me a horrible translation and it says something quite far from what I wanted it to say :) I don't happen to speak all 5 languages personally so cannot verify that it translated all of the 1 or 2 word entries the way I wanted it to...

How nice! Would you consider incorporating features from other modmods? There were some things in the .25 vintage modmods by Maniac and Sureshot that I would like to have in .30. For starters, there were the Mines that were upgraded over time (like cottages are now). And there are many nice additions in the .30 modmods by Magister and Sureshot that are not yet implemented at the current patch level. If you are game, I'll draw up a wishlist.

Very, very interesting! I love that you can pick the modules you want and your summon ideas are great, too!

Draw up a wishlist, and if you are having me copy other people's ideas give me a link to the source so I can see how they did it. But be warned, many other mods use Python and other hooks to accomplish the "fun" features, so I won't be able to make most of them into Modules.

For example, I am not entirely sure how to accomplish the mines upgrading, but I have a good feeling it would be possible in XML since there are now multiple improvements which upgrade over time.

Yeah, it isn't hard to do with just xml. I haven't tried myself (yet) but I'm sure you could jst copy preexisting code.

<iUpgradeTime>20</iUpgradeTime>

and

<ImprovementPillage>IMPROVEMENT_COTTAGE</ImprovementPillage>
<ImprovementUpgrade>IMPROVEMENT_VILLAGE</ImprovementUpgrade>

are the important parts.

I believe that the upgrade time is the total number of turns in the improvement has <bOutsideBorders>1</bOutsideBorders> and only turn that it is worked otherwise.

You are free to borrow stuff from my modmod for your modular mods, but most of the cool stuff relies on python.

Yeah, I just looked at it after I posted and it is cakewalk to do. So I intend on making just about every possible improvement upgrade (including mana nodes).

Quite a bit you can do with improvements that I hadn't thought about. And the Lion's Den is still in there, so I'll see what I can do to make that actually start happening, or just make a module which allows lions to build the things. Might create such a feature for every animal....

Awesome, I'm very glad you seperated the modular pieces. I want to play around with the AI magic use. :)

Awesome, I'm very glad you seperated the modular pieces. I want to play around with the AI magic use. :)

Ditto!

And when I did so I found the AI making lots of Adepts.

I set up a little test - half a dozen capital-connected Amurite cities, all with M. Guilds, an Oblisk, and a Warrior or two. I gave 'em all the techs up to and including Sorcery. Every city started making Adepts, but not Wizards.

Looking in the FFH editor I saw that Adepts have an AI Weight of.... 300!
Okay... looking at the modmod I thought changing that AI Weight to 4 might be reasonable. Result: Some Wizards! (Yay!)

So I suggest including a change to the Adept iAIWeight in the mod, xeinwolf.

And thanks very much!

Oh! the AI thinks that Adepts are better than their upgrades? They have a value of 300, while Mages/Wizards/Conjurers have a value of 8 and Archmages/Summoners/Eaters of Dreams have a value of 16. I think this mean that the AI is programmed to think that adepts are more valuable units that their upgrades, so they won't upgrade them.

This should really be addressed in the balance thread (I'll do that now). I'll also include a change in my modmod (probably increasing the weights of the upgrades more than decreasing the adepts)

Cool, I'll upgrade the weighting factor of the cheater units and see if they start to build them as they should. I also changed the fix to Circle of Gaelan a little bit now so that it can still be spread apart, but the events WILL all happen now.

Uploaded a new version. Changes/Additions are noted in the first page. Forgot to check if it breaks savegames from previous release, but I would assume for now that it will always break them (new units/graphic defines do it easily).

2 Major modules in this release: Animal Lairs & Unique Feature Danger. Each one COULD be more modular so you can pick and choose which ones will be in the game, but do to how complex the animal changes were I did not feel it appropriate to chunk them down (would nearly double the size of the entire install file I think). And I don't think that anyone should be allowed to pick and choose which features are safe and which are dangerous :p (Don't worry, none of the units should be able to kill a warrior fortified in a city, and spawns tend to be infrequent).

That said: If there is sufficient feedback requesting that the animal module be seperated into a couple of parts I will consider doing so.

Ran a test game with all of the changes to test that you have to delete the extra folder for the Dimensional Patch J fix to work (you do), and found that cottages no longer grow into Hamlets!

This is due to the Dangerous Unique features, so until I get around to re-writing the upgradable improvements I guess you have to choose between that module and cottages that can actually upgrade (gee... I wonder which will win...)

And for those of you who do not play in English: I have documented EVERYTHING that I changed in the Civlopedia, and in all 5 languages. Please inform me if Babelfish gave me a horrible translation and it says something quite far from what I wanted it to say :) I don't happen to speak all 5 languages personally so cannot verify that it translated all of the 1 or 2 word entries the way I wanted it to...

http://forums.civfanatics.com/showthread.php?t=237449

I don't know if Babelfish is very reliable...:p

Oh! the AI thinks that Adepts are better than their upgrades? They have a value of 300, while Mages/Wizards/Conjurers have a value of 8 and Archmages/Summoners/Eaters of Dreams have a value of 16. I think this mean that the AI is programmed to think that adepts are more valuable units that their upgrades, so they won't upgrade them.
Huh... Are you sure weights effect upgrade decsions? If so, good catch; I'd guess Kael assumed not.

I don't personally believe that it does. But it COULD, and since they cannot build those units normally in the main game, might as well bump them WAY up just in case. Medicine_Man_55 is doing a test on a normal game with the weighting adjusted to see if the AI does upgrade their Adepts properly (long game, so feedback won't be for a while.

Posting .902 shortly, the bug with Cottages is the same as the bug with the Dimensional Promotions. Linking things together through Modular XML just doesn't seem to work at all (tried to let workers build hamlets instead of cottages, that broke hamlets from upgrading. Tried to make an upgradable mine, that broke Hamlets too...). Also included Sureshot's Improvement changes from his Mini-mod (with some alterations). I ditched the idea to make all improvements able to upgrade because when I tried to make a mine upgrade in 100 turns to a non-pillageable mine it caused Hamlets to ALSO stop upgrading.... :( :shrug:

Also, I have tried feeding some of my translations back through Babelfish to get english because I have played with that same feature of translation programs before. The main thing that makes that link so funny is that they are going to Japanese, which is VASTLY different than our language (they have many words which are pronounced the same and mean different things. Homonym if I remember correctly.), and since you are converting it twice you wind up complicating any small error which cropped up initially. For the "big 5" the translation program is pretty decent actually.

Top Bottom