Role Play Challenge: Alexander, Greek God of War

madscientist

RPC Supergenius
Alexander, Greek God of War: Start

Welcome to my next RPC game. These games are meant to be fun and more light-hearted, as well as education for a certain strategy or economy.

This and the next challenge are using both Greek leaders. Not really leaders, but the ancient Greek gods themselves, returned to earth to show their abilities. Alexander and Pericles are twin brothers from Mount Olympus (Hey, it's my RPC and I'll butcher history anyway I want :D) and have an argument going, which is the best way for the Greek civilization to grow. Pericles believes a peacefull approach with limited land is the answer while Alexander insists the Greeks have to take what they need, and they need alot!. So to settle this dispute, both have agreed to come to earth and try their hands as leaders, as a human leader I should say.

First at bat is Alexander, who will use his Agressive trait paired with the Greek philosophical trait. It is an always war challenge which should be interesting as I have never played one before (hell the OCC game turned out well). As an educational angle I will be doing ALOT of war-mongering so hopefully I can illustrate how I approach it. In the past I have glossed over the actual war aspects, I'll try to be a little more detailed here. We will also be running a SE game although without the strict limitation we had in the MONTY game.

Settings

Monarch
Marathon
Map: Pangea Hub (I am told that a hub map is a pandea)
choke points are 2 tiles wide
Temperate with medium sea levels.
No tech trading (why should I let the AIs trade amongst themselves)
ALWAYS WAR!

Rules: Not many as Always war is chalenging unto itself

1) Al believes he must win, at all costs. Hence he can cheat although he prefers not to to make a good show.
2) Before the game started AL actually cheated already by placing a copper resource on the western desert hill.
3) Al must win by conquest, and I mean conquest. All must be crushed beneath his sandels, it will be way cool!

And here is our fear-inspiring Greek God himself

Flee in horror before he finds you!!!

And the start

Before you ask, yes it was a random start except for the copper that Big AL planted on the desert plains hill.

Greece starts with Hunting and Fishing, so a workboat is in order and a techpath of archery/mining/BW. Also I think settling in place will work.

AS I said it's my first always war so I'll need a little help on the actual rules and answers to some questions.

First question: I'll assume religions will spread spontaneously as they normally would in a game.

Second question: How fast will an AI try to capture Athens at the beginning? Of course will not accept a fast defeat and I'll just World Build a protective Warrior if I need to, but seams i should be able to get a warrior out before fighting.

it will be way cool!
i find it funny when alexander says that when you first meet him, sounds like a little kid when he says that.

sweet first responce,
i dont think a ai will try and take your city off the bat, they are more worried about protecting their own citys. But i usaly make a warrior off the bat just in case, I played hub before, its a bunch of islands connected by spokes to a central island, this case the spokes are 2 wide.
i just have vanilla version of civ 4 though so i dont get unique buildings :( so my advice cant be to acurate

I don't know if having someone give you Copper is legit ;P.

Anyways, this reminds me of a Star Trek episode (the one where Uhura and Capt. Kirk smooched...which by the way was the first interracial kiss on television. Star Trek is progress...wow I got off topic there).

Now that I've rambled for the regulation amount of time, let me give you some advice.

1. No tech trading does not apply to the AI, only to the player. But if you are going for always war anyways, it is superfluous. Also believe that always war only applies to the player as well; expect it to be a dogpile.

2. With always war on, you need must have Great Wall for the spies. You won't be able to maintain tech parity unless you either infiltrate or settle a great spy. I'd definitely make getting an early Great Spy and courthouses part of your plans.

3. Don't explore too much early on. You'll miss out on some goodie huts, but in hub games the AI will find you quickly, and if you don't have any warriors on the home front with always war on you could lose in the ancient era. Besides, you already know where the AI is; just follow the wheel.

4. Another thing about hubs is to make use of the chokepoints. I'd push towards the center of the map as fast as you can.

5. I'd recommend a CoL slingshot, then work towards Construction and Fuedalism (I'd just switch back and forth between the required techs until both are reached).

6. Not sure, but I believe that you do not suffer War Weariness in Always War; it's been awhile since I've tried it though and I can't remember too well.

Anyways, those are my thoughts. Good luck mad scientist.

I think war warryness is there i play multiplayer alot and a few team battles, i usaly suffer from war warryness, but it dosnt seem that much, but then again they could forget to turn always war on and they just declare war as soon as they see you. So i dont know
good luck man

#1 Yes religions are normal, and note that the AI's are only locked into war with you, not eachother, so they'll spread religions normally with missionaries as well (just not to you).

#2 I'm pretty sure the AI will attack the minute one of it's archers find your neck of the woods in Always War.

One thing I've been pondering is how War Weariness will come into play in a long term SP game. I don't know how much WW will impact the later game era's since my experience with Always War is in Multiplayer Ancient games that don't usually last past Medieval era. However, I do know for certain WW is significantly reduced as far as how quickly it builds up (since you can't let it 'cool off' normally with any peace periods) in Always War mode, but I don't know if it's capped or not. Whether it is or isn't capped could be a major factor how you should go about things. Maybe someone who's peeked at that section of the code could elaborate on the specific differences in Always War WW calculations.

I don't know if having someone give you Copper is legit ;P.

Anyways, this reminds me of a Star Trek episode (the one where Uhura and Capt. Kirk smooched...which by the way was the first interracial kiss on television. Star Trek is progress...wow I got off topic there).

Now that I've rambled for the regulation amount of time, let me give you some advice.

1. No tech trading does not apply to the AI, only to the player. But if you are going for always war anyways, it is superfluous. Also believe that always war only applies to the player as well; expect it to be a dogpile.

2. With always war on, you need must have Great Wall for the spies. You won't be able to maintain tech parity unless you either infiltrate or settle a great spy. I'd definitely make getting an early Great Spy and courthouses part of your plans.

3. Don't explore too much early on. You'll miss out on some goodie huts, but in hub games the AI will find you quickly, and if you don't have any warriors on the home front with always war on you could lose in the ancient era. Besides, you already know where the AI is; just follow the wheel.

4. Another thing about hubs is to make use of the chokepoints. I'd push towards the center of the map as fast as you can.

5. I'd recommend a CoL slingshot, then work towards Construction and Fuedalism (I'd just switch back and forth between the required techs until both are reached).

6. Not sure, but I believe that you do not suffer War Weariness in Always War; it's been awhile since I've tried it though and I can't remember too well.

Anyways, those are my thoughts. Good luck mad scientist.

Good advice, I didn't realise no tech trading applied only to the AI.

Regarding the copper, too bad. Greek Gods can make their own rules!

I remember the star trek kiss, and I remember it when it first aired although I was too young to realize it.

#1 Yes religions are normal, and note that the AI's are only locked into war with you, not eachother, so they'll spread religions normally with missionaries as well (just not to you).

#2 I'm pretty sure the AI will attack the minute one of it's archers find your neck of the woods in Always War.

One thing I've been pondering is how War Weariness will come into play in a long term SP game. I don't know how much WW will impact the later game era's since my experience with Always War is in Multiplayer Ancient games that don't usually last past Medieval era. However, I do know for certain WW is significantly reduced as far as how quickly it builds up (since you can't let it 'cool off' normally with any peace periods) in Always War mode, but I don't know if it's capped or not. Whether it is or isn't capped could be a major factor how you should go about things. Maybe someone who's peeked at that section of the code could elaborate on the specific differences in Always War WW calculations.

Also with WW, I believe it only acruues whne in the AI land, not defensive wars.

We shall soon find out.

Also with WW, I believe it only acruues whne in the AI land, not defensive wars.

We shall soon find out.

I think you still get WW for losing troops on home soil, but with the reduction from Always War it ends up being negligible unless you're seriously losing alot of troops (in which case it probably means your about to die anyway so WW becomes a bit of a moot point).

On another note, I think Pyramids (by Conquest or Greek Craftsmen) > Police State might end up being a smart move. It's gonna be an all out AI dogpile and every hammer put into units will be well spent (especially when multiplied by +25%). The espionage bonus will come in handy as well, since it should be a main focus for the reasons bioelectricclam stated.

That's one weird start. A desert square for your settler, and snow covered on desert hills? :crazyeye: The gods must have a sense of humor...

The start, other than the scientific impossibilities, is one of the better ones. Settle in place and find copper. WB first for the clams.

Find copper? Why we know where it is! Alex put it there via world builder (See OP). Right on the desert hill! Being a god has it's privaleges!

Hooray! For once, I'm one of the earliest subscribers in a thread!! :D

You haven't even founded Athens yet. All right! Let's roll!

you put the copper there i assume because you had no metal happily close by to make good use of?

i'm not questioning Big Al's right to cheat as he sees fit, i'm just currious

1. No tech trading does not apply to the AI, only to the player.

:confused: Can you prove this please? I think you're mistaken about it.

I'd still get the Great Wall if you have stone, but more for the GG points since AW means you should do plenty of fighting in your territory.

Always war is pretty hard, I got spanked at warlord level as Stalin (spammed too many wonders).
EDIT: It was WOTM11. Here is the final spoiler thread, some of the reports are pretty amusing, remember, it was warlords level. It was quick speed which probably made it harder, it's easier to knock down a few civs early in marathon http://forums.civfanatics.com/showthread.php?t=233293

Trying to stay invisible is a good plan.

War weariness is reduced. The AI wil relentlessly send suicide troops for the whole game. Walls and longbows might be a good idea, forts too.

Sid Waddell: "At age 33, Alexander of Macedonia cried salt tears when he realised he had no more worlds to conquer. Eric Bristow is only 27."

EDIT: Don't neglect your navy either, the AI will land stacks with boats and pillage your seafood.

These games start off easy (kill a few scouts), but get hard pretty fast (or slow, it is marathon again I presume).

you put the copper there i assume because you had no metal happily close by to make good use of?

i'm not questioning Big Al's right to cheat as he sees fit, i'm just currious

I entered worldbuilder right away and zoomed in on the cities BFC. It had no copper so I added it. I want Phalynx's right away. KILL, KILL< KILL!!!!!!!!

have never played AW in civ 4 and am very curious to know how you are going to fight everyone at once

I agree with bioelectricclam when he says to find and defend at the chokepoints as that will make defending a lot easier

I'm not sure how the AI economy will stand up to AW, are they still able to put decent armies out after being at war for a while?
I remember in Civ3 if you killed their initial stacks all they managed to send would be individual units

I'd recommend first build being a warrior then a work boat, work boat first is better economically but the first AI to meet you will most likely attack with their scouting warrior
If you do have to world builder a defender it should be a phalanx

Hah! I love the idea of Alex spontaneously generating strategic metals on the sly. It definitely sounds like something a Greek god would do, especially one with Civ Alex's personality.

Of course, if I'm remembering my fabricated mythology properly, Alex and Asoka's god were roomies freshman year. So if this game goes completely pear-shaped, I suppose Alex could always drop him a line and see if he has any more Doomsday Machines lying around. :mischief:

Hah! I love the idea of Alex spontaneously generating strategic metals on the sly. It definitely sounds like something a Greek god would do, especially one with Civ Alex's personality.

Of course, if I'm remembering my fabricated mythology properly, Alex and Asoka's god were roomies freshman year. So if this game goes completely pear-shaped, I suppose Alex could always drop him a line and see if he has any more Doomsday Machines lying around. :mischief:

:lol: except everyone knows spearmen beat tanks, he wants a nice shiny phalanx

This asks for a masonry beeline + GW (+ walls )-> Maths + forts ( hub maps have chokepoints, so use them ) -> sailing-> MC ( to get trirremes, to cut the possibility of a sea landing...

Top Bottom