Delete Account?

Status
Not open for further replies.

bd41094

Prince
Hi, I haven't been on for quite some time and wondered if there was a way to delete this account, it really doesn't have any files or anything worth saving and just takes up space.

If there is no official way to do it and a helpful mod will do it then thats fine too.

We don't really do account deletions. Even accounts with zero posts are kept. ;)

Only TF, the admin, can delete accounts...

Oh ok, well just thought I'd run it by lol. I'm never on and I don't play civ at all anymore.

One account more or less doesn't really matter for such a big forum, so I don't think your account should be deleted, nor that it will be.

I will appreciate if my account is deleted too.

If you don't want to post anymore, then you can simply stop posting.

No .

Deleting a user would be problematic as their posts would no longer belong to anyone.

That isn't a problem, search back to some of the oldest threads, where some of the post's don't belong any more. I assume thats because those accounts got deleted.

I must say I find it odd there isn't an option to delete your account, most forums allow you to do so.

Abaddon, do you have an example of that?

So the profile suddenly vanishes and his posts are no longer counted?

Hmm, just like when the forum used to allow guests to posts IIRC.

Deleting a user would be problematic as their posts would no longer belong to anyone.

It doesn't have to be like that. All you'd need to do is create an extra account that only the Admin/Staff has any real access too, and have an order of operations as thus:

Change the PosterID of all posts that belong to the person that is deleting their account to the PosterID of this Staff/System account.

Delete all other content that still references the account in any way.

This way, when you go to delete your account, all the posts/threads are given to a user that is owned by the system. Best to name it something like "Archive", or "System", or "Deleted" so that people know what is going on. This way, the posts stay while the user account is deleted, and in the end no content is lost, as well as people who wish to delete their accounts can still do so.

Saying that, I haven't come across ANY forums that let you delete your account. I've spoken to Admins about deleting accounts, but most of them just say that they don't do it. Why, I really don't know because if you use the above method it doesn't hurt anyone, and it makes your forum more accessible for people because they can feel like they can come, post and then just leave should they find themselves in an awkward position.

I want to delete my account too. I think privacy laws require a way to delete your info from the web. I am done with civ, and deleting this account will make me feel better.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom