Modcomp Request; Inquisitor unit.

kairob

Biohazard
Any takers? Basically it annoys me to have Islam or Buddhism in Europe perminantly, for the rest of the game. Or any religion other than Islam to stay in Arabias borders for hundreds of years etc...

So if anyone could add this unit into Rhyes I would be very gratefull...

I think it would completely make sense to add an inquisitor to RFC, simply because the concept of religion is modified (multiple religions hurt stability)

Personally I have no idea why the inquisitor isn't a standard unit.

Because there is no disadvantage in having multiple religions in a city in standard CIV.

Except to prevent someone from going for a AP victory, but that is pretty minor.

Or to prevent holy city espionage, which is also minor. I've never seen anyone get an AP victory..

I agree; it is silly for say a theocratic civ not to be able to do anything about the religions already in their cities. It could be a visible way of showing a new government policy or a way to "unite" the whole country the way Spain did in 1492 (removing the Jews, forcing the Muslims to convert or be removed, etc)

The fact that it hurts empires' stability that have more than 1 religion (which I'm not sure i agree with) and then not be able to do anything about it is annoying.

A very cool aspect is how this plays out in diplomacy, one of the weakest parts of the game, for instance, would removing say Buddhism from your cities anger all Buddhist civilizations? And would only theocratic civs be able to have the inquisitor unit? I mean otherwise there is no point to missionaries as civs can just remove the religion anytime they feel like it so I feel that the inquisitor unit needs some kind of penalty as well.

Or to reduce rival's income. Which isn't that minor...

Well, it is too.. I think it's a bit much to spend all those hammers on an 'Inquisitor' unit, just to lower your opponent's income by 1-3 gold pieces only to have the religion sprout back :p

I think Firaxis didn't put it in because of political correctness. When I first heard there were religions in Civ4, I thought it was a crazy idea. People were complaining about "Bach's cathedral being built in Mecca" in Civ3, now to turn Mecca into the Buddhist Holy City, ouch. Putting an Inquisitor unit means you could practically simulate the Holocaust.

But well, now that we've been playing this game long enough to be desensitized about razing Holy Cities and whipping half a town to death, I think it's not a bad idea. If the modder's too lazy, it could be an Espionage action, spy uses X points to remove religion from your city. :mischief:

Inquisitor unit.
Can remove a religion, which is different from your state religion with a certain chance (Chance is 100% when civ use 'Theocraty' civic; otherwise chance like ~75%). Available with Theology. Obsolete with Liberalism.
When his mission is succesful, city gets +1 :mad: angry face with reason 'We cannot forget your cruel oppression!' and maybe lose some population.
70 hammers.

And maybe also there should be diplomatic penalty for those actions? I feel that' is hard to realize.

P.S. Or maybe make spies can perform such actions?. ;-)

I think it's a great idea. Earlier I was playing the U.S and Taoism spread into a city right at the start and I just thought, great now I'm gonna have Taoism in the mid-west for the rest of my game and I can't do anthing about it. It'd be a nice option.

As for the holocaust comment, that wasn't about ridding the Jewish religion but peoples from Germany and Europe, it's a different situation entirely, it was more to do with Jews being at the bottom of the nazis racial, "league table," not religious one.

The heresy event (which is actually a good event as you can either spread your state religion or gain 15% of a religious tech) should have an option of having other religions eliminated by inquisitors from some of your cities with a certain cost. It only runs when you have theocracy, so similarly, I think inquisitors should only be allowed when you run theocracy.

Greetings to all. Long time Civ'er, first time poster. Literally.

I've been a Rhye-a-hollic since I discovered the mod, and admit to having tweaked the heck out of it to suit my own tastes. I'm fairly good at extrapolating (sp?) and combining various mods. Anyway, saw this thread, thought about it, decided it would be a good idea, given every little bit to help stability is a plus in my book. And I was bored.

So, without further rambling on my part, I present to you all a 5-ish hour cut-and-paste extravaganza, Rhye's BTS 1181 Inquisitor Add-On. For all your religious crusading needs.

I've tested it myself, and it seems to be working. I took the files from bmarnz's Inquisition mod, which was ripped from Gods of Old. So, credit for the unit and such goes to whoever should have it. I just put the pieces together.

Technical Stuff:

Installation: Unzip to your Beyond the Sword\Mods folder. It will (should?) merge with your existing Rhye's folder. Overwrite any files that it needs to. This was done from a clean BTS1181.

The Inquisitor is basically a reverse-missionary that will remove non-state religions from your cities, as well as the buildings for that religion. It will NOT remove a Holy City, though it will (should) still destroy any of the buildings for that religion. Your state religion must be present in the city to perform an Inqusition. You will (should) also take a relations hit with any Civ whose religion you remove.

Hopefully it works out for everyone. Let me know. I'm not sure if it's possible to work this into Warlords or Vanillia, and honestly, I never play them anymore so I probably won't try.

Oh, edit... Req's Theology.

Attachments

• Rhye_BTS1181_Inquisitor.zip
    151.6 KB · Views: 663
@Rhye: I had the Inquisitor unit in the original RFC++, and I think it worked well, and should be included. If need be, using BC2 it should only take 10-15 minutes to merge.

@GreySaber: Nicely done, I would suggest downloading and using a program called Beyond Compare 2 from now on, it will vastly help with code merging. Now then, does this have an AI component to it? Because I noticed there is no dll, doesn't the game need changes to the dll for the AI to use something? Or is the AI modular like everything else in BtS?

Top Bottom