A New series: PYL I (Pick Your Leader)

Bleys

Deity
OK here we go. Pick Your Leader I = FINANCIAL!!

I want to start by saying that I fully realize there are a LOT of games out there, and one more seems like a case of "flooding the market" so to speak, but I cant get this idea out of my head, so I want to have a go.

I also want to give major Props to r_rolo1, who unselfishly makes these maps for us, as well as the Nobles Club maps, and his own Lonely Hearts Club maps. He has a great eye for map-picking, and properly edits the WB saves so that they can be played in this fashion, so that each difficulty and game speed is correctly applied by the Scenario menus.

I am hoping this format will appeal to a higher level crowd as well as lower level players. I would love to see some Emperor and Immortal tries at these. However, that being said, I am not going to place any restrictions, I think thats bogus, and this series is really more of a "Fun" idea than a true learning exercise. If we learn stuff, Great! Bonus! But the idea is to have fun, and see how the same exact map gets played out simply by placing the "Human" element in different places with different leaders.

I am going to request that all comments be placed in spoilers. I am not asking for detailed reports on a specific timetable, but you are more than encouraged to be as detailed as you wish, naturally. What I am going for is a sort of "Wow! Cool!" effect when people look at the other games.

I am placing all the Leaders starting positions in Spoilers, so if you WANT to play it fairly "clean", you can (you will know who your opponents are, but not where they are or what they start with. You usually meet the AIs pretty quickly on maps like this anyway). Of course, you can check all the starts and pick the one that looks best, but I am hopeful that folks will choose a leader, and THEN check his start. Heck, it may even be best NOT to post the starts at all, and simply list the leaders, and post the WB save. Plenty of flexibility in this idea, I think, lots of room for discussion and input from those who play these. If this idea does take off, I will post a "bullpen" type thread to discuss adjustments and modifications of the format, and ideas for future games, much like the Lonely Heart, ALC, Nobles Club, etc.

One request I would like to make though, is that you avoid comments that indicate a pre-knowledge of an AIs position, even when using spoilers. For example, "Since I know XXX AI has YYY resource in his BFC, I am not going to bother with ZZZ Wonder". Stuff like that, I am sure you see my point. Of course, if you have wandered your scouts around and gain the info in the natural course of the game, then its perfectly acceptable to have strategies that take that sort of information into account, and mention them at that time.

Also, if you are planning to play, please indicate which leader you are choosing, and what speed/difficulty you plan to play it. I would further ask that you include that information in a "header" to the spoilers on each of your game updates and progress, and such, including the years you are posting about.

For example:
Ramesses, Emperor, Epic, 4000 BC - 1 AD:
Spoiler :
Then include your report, comments, progress, thoughts, screenshots, etc, in a spoiler, detailed as you wish.

This is to prevent giving out information about the map and AIs and such by accident, so those who dont want such hints can avoid looking at them until they wish too.

I am hoping each leader will get at least one player, but I want it made VERY clear that there are no hard-and-fast "rules" here. Pick whomever you wish, peek as much as you want too, re-load, re-play, whatever, its all good. FUN is the primary focus every time I play this game, and the major reason for trying this format, it looks like a lot of fun.

So without further ado, I present to you:

PYL I - Financial Leaders!

Mansa:

And his start:
Spoiler :

Hannibal:

And his start:
Spoiler :

Elizabeth:

And her start:
Spoiler :

Darius:

And his start:
Spoiler :

Pacal:

And his start:
Spoiler :

Wang:

And his start:
Spoiler :

Willem:

And his start:
Spoiler :

And here is the save. For those not familiar with this format, the saves are created in a manner that will allow each player to choose his or her leader, difficulty, and game speed. You can also play it in your favorite MOD, since these are not "saved games" they are Scenario.

To play, simply download the ZIP file, and extract it into your Beyond the Sword/Saves/World Builder folder. Open the game in your preferred MOD, select "Play a Scenario" and look for the "PYL_I_FIN" Scenario. Choose your leader, difficulty, and speed, and there you have it! Game on!

Attachments

• PYL_I_FIN.zip
    20.3 KB · Views: 240
You picked the more balanced version :cry: ... Liz with stone in the BFC or Mansa with a plains gold riverside hill would be so fun :lol: Not that this one doesn't have some jewels ( marble + double plains fur ( one of them riverside ) ... :woohoo: ... too bad the lack of food ).....

Spoiler :
Is it just me or does persepolis/ whatever the persian capitial is, scream gp farm?

Rolo has really been incredible. What impresses me is less the WB editing, and more the THREE REALLY AWESOME MAP SELECTIONS in a row (sorry, I have no idea about NC 1 since I didn't play it, so I don't want to say, although the trend indicates that one was probably good too :p).

I'll pick this up, since I'm done with NC 4. Now...which leader...I'm a bloodthirsty warmonger, which means that of these leaders, the most appealing are Darius (and I've not looked at the starts, but the general strategy for Persian rushing is find an AI, make sure it doesn't have metal, and murder it, repeating until it's no longer viable. On some maps, that can be a while) and Hannibal (more Flanking HA UU nonsense? Really? If I get a good draw using this guy this could be NC III all over again!!).

I've run a darius game with my buddy earlier this week, so Carthage it is for me. Difficulty/speed will be monarch/epic. Admittedly, it's going to be really hard not to go spanking the mostly soft and weaksauce financial AIs (seriously, good as the trait is for humans, the AI's with it seem too passive in general, though MASSED fin leaders might not get flattened by shaka right away for a nice change) into the ground with numidians early on if I get a good draw, but we'll see :). Maybe I'll be forced to be creative about how I play for a change. Don't hold your breath though.

Actually, without even looking at my starting position, the intent here will be to play the role of the obnoxious massive vassalizing warmonger like Shaka. Nothing is more fun than having a bunch of people doing all the teching for you =P.

Sounds like a good idea. I'll give this a go on Emperor.

What map type is it, do we know?

No Ragnar :( Well, hopefully it is a pangaea map anyway ;)

I'm thinking Liz (only played as her once, that was in a Settler HOF gauntlet on a duel map vs. Mansa, quickest into space) or maybe get some Immortals and play as Darius, I haven't tried him either (Willem I haven't played as as well). Liz is pretty rockin' though.

Good job we haven't got Capac, we wouldn't want things to be too easy would we, for the marathon speed players ;)

I'll probably play Epic speed, maybe normal.

Map is fractal .... at request of Bleys ( that or Pangea... I decided against Pangea: Fractal maps are so crazy sometimes ;) ( do your really wanted Pangea to pwn with Immortals? Highest HOF score so far was with them :p ) ). And the leaders are at request of Bleys as well ( I love Ragnar :cry: )

Nice! Rolo and bleys, you guys must have a heap of free time oraganising all this stuff! Cheers. :goodjob:

I'll have a go, probably pick a leader based on which one I havn't played before, so...

Its between Mansa and darius, (yeah thats right, two of the stronger leaders and I've never played them! :mischief:)

I'll be sticking to Prince/Epic. I'm still finding Prince quite a challenge and until it starts getting to easy I'm happy at that level. :)

Interesting Idea! I'm going to approuch this not being to worried about reading other peoples spoilers as I feel it more for fun and experimentation.

PS - (Still would have like to see some roleplay elements involved, ;))

Making a WB scenario from a map is a matter of 10 min top... generating a map in WB for this can take long if you want to be perfeccionist, but in here generating two maps ( I gave Bleys a choice ) took me other 10 min. Not that much of time lost....

Fractal then? I think I'll go with Liz.

Next one should be civs of the players involved, so you could go Portugal rolo, Vicky or Churchill for us Brits, one of the Septic Tanks for the South Canadians, etc. I'm sure we have Dutch, German, French and Spanish players here as well (maybe we can convince Jesusin to pull off a deity cultural win with Isabella!).

No Ragnar? Pity. I have yet to try out Darius in any game, probably scared he'll be way overpowered or something. But hmm, yeah, I'll give him a try.

1850 BC

Spoiler :

Wow, we're not isolated, but we have SO MUCH ROOM. I'm delaying warring for a bit, since I have that entire peninsula to my right, and apparently time to grab the land below me also. The only city I've set in stone is 1 SW of the pigs, since such a place gets me corn, pigs, and horses, AND is on the river. That would be a solid commerce city. I'm teching like mad, and it is likely that This will continue given my traits. The other leaders can too though :(. Haha, we'll still be warring, but let's save some hammers and expand peacefully at first!

Edit: I forgot while playing that I moved 1N from my starting location. This is noteworthy, because 90%+ of the time, I'll settle in place. However, being a warmonger I like a productive capitol. Also, I wasn't going to be using that banana for anything for a long time. If I settled on it, I got an extra food while building the work boat, and later more hammers from the mine. This I could live with, so I did it. I know some people dislike coastal starts, but I am not among them. Very strong food and some commerce gets the research AND the workers/settlers pumping.

I decided against HC because I felt he would be too popular a choice, heh.

It was Rags or Wang for the final spot, and I chose Wang, but in hindsight, Rags would have been a more popular pick without risking "everyone will pick him".

I am planning to wait until I see who doesnt get picked, and give it a try. Got other games to finish up.

Wang isn't as huge in BtS (I'm sure there's a double entendre somewhere in this sentence) since they nerfed siege. The Seowon is still nice though.

10 AD (Yes, I'm fast on weekends when I don't have 1000000000000 assignments)

Spoiler :

Hannibal has less room than I initially thought! I went Great Wall earlier on (actually the last update had it already) for the EP, so that I can war and still steal crap off other people if it comes to that. I was actually worried I was isolated a bit, but as you can see, this isn't the case :lol:.

I'm mad at myself, utica should have been 1W. Oh well. We'll make do with a crappy city, at least it can give me some commerce.

We've been teching like hell in this segment, and trading alot because of being first to alphabet. All EP are on the dutch, and we have a stack of 5 numidians in the middle city. The dutch have copper, which is a problem, put it can be pillaged on the 2nd turn of the war. The other reason I went GW for EP is that I can now effectively settle back spies and run up espionage, using spies to support revolts. One of my major gripes with using mounted troops is their flanking II isn't a cure all against high culture D, especially in the middle ages. Support city revolt should take care of that. I won't use it much on willem, because he has an axeman and an archer in each of those 2 cities, and a throwaway barb city in the east he just captured.

Other than the GW, I pulled the snaaty archer fog bust ---->rex at the AI strategy. We could peacefully get to 8 cities and probably 10-12 NP in this game, but since we ARE somewhat near people, we're going to murder Willem, backfill, and hopefully start the chain capitulations.

Seems like a fun game. Most of those civs are pretty easy to get along with, especially since most of them will be in free religion before long.

Top Bottom