Gotm 87

Duke of Marlbrough

The Quiet Moderator
Retired Moderator
Peaster's Tip: the size one trick won't work on Chieftain level.

Peaster's Challenge: Can you conquer before 2000BC?

another tip for those going for a space ship victory - you can't build space ship parts before 1 AD (something i knew and forgot), and with all the extra turns you get on chieftan, this well can be an issue

The starting location is 4 specials. The two hidden ones are either both whale type or both fish type.

The spot is very good for OCC.

There are ony 5 civs and the human player is White. This means at least one and possibly two key civ holes. That is not good for OCC or landing.

Peaster's Tip: the size one trick won't work on Chieftain level.
How so? What happens? I have never played chieftain, not even in Civ 1. But I have heard that building settlers does not reduce your city size.

Perhaps what you meant was that size 1 trick does not give you any special advantage you do not already have at this level; right?

it means that if you have a size 1 city, and try and build settlers, instead of building settlers once you reach 40 shields, it just keeps adding shields instead of finishing the settlers and giving you something else to build, much like if you were building something that has already been built and didn't change production

Thanks SCG for the explanation. I just ran a quick simulation and confirmed what you said. I suppose it behaves this way because at this level cities cannot be abandoned by making settlers; perhaps a safeguard game designers put in for the truly novice. Mistakenly I rememebered this piece of info as cities not going down in size after settler production.

Another easy to forget thing about Chieftan level is you can change production between types without penalty. this makes rush buying a lot cheaper if you remember to use it (unlike me I keep forgetting).

In the manual, it says that the chiefton level is just for beginners to learn the game on and one of the safeguards is that one cannot accidently destroy a city. As soon as one becomes familiar with the game, one should move to the next level.

Top Bottom