The Immortal University II - Suryavarman II of Khmer

After having lots of fun with Montezuma, it's time to try something different.
This thread is intended for players struggling at the immortal level who want to learn, as well as for players who can easily win on immortal who want to show everyone how to do it.

Our next leader is going to be Sury of the Khmer.

Some notes:
1)When you play the game, please try to remember to save every 20~40 turns or at points you feel are important. I personally learn a lot from opening intermediate saves of games and see "how you did it".
2) When you post your game please remember to put everything inside a spoiler tag and specify the year outside the spoiler.
3) Since the purpose of the thread is learning, please try to point any points in your game that in your opinion were critical decisions - good or bad.

The vote for the map is open.
Current preferences:
Olodune, Dirk1302 - Pangaea
Rusten - Pangaea, but would play any map
Sleepless - prefers not inland sea.
Silverbullet - Inland Sea, Pangaea as 2nd choice.

Please vote your preference and I will create the 4000BC save today.

fractal would be my preference (sorry for not competing in the first, i would have loved to but was entirely unaware of its existence.) good to see threads like this.

Sorry for not finishing the other game :blush: ... but hopefully in some days I'll be with sufficient head cleaness to try a Immortal game.

About the map: Fractal or Big and Small

This sounds great. I didn't bother with the first game as I really hate the aztecs, but I'm definitely up for this one. Large Pangea maybe?

Pangaea is fine with me but not large size if possible, my computer can't quite handle that.

Pangaea is fine with me but not large size if possible, my computer can't quite handle that.
Yes, just like the last game, the map is normal size. This way the game is kept shorter and more players can play, and I feel it is more appropriate for a shared game.

Yes, just like the last game, the map is normal size. This way the game is kept shorter and more players can play, and I feel it is more appropriate for a shared game.
Post the save.

Anyone up for some discussion prior to seeing the save?

Two things I'd like to note here.

One, Sury is a +health beast. This screams for early Monarchy (or, more precisely, early Hereditary Rule). Hopefully the map is food heavy and we can grow to that health cap relatively quick.

Two, expansive provides a bonus to hammers applied towards building a worker. However, this bonus does not apply towards overflow food that is converted into hammers. Correct me if I'm wrong, as this may have been changed, but production modifiers round down, so you'll only see "bonus" hammers from the expansive trait when applying multiples of 4 hammers to a worker.

Yes, the bonus hammer only get calculated by the base hammers you produce in your city, not the food surplus :)

And I'm very interessted in this thread, I think I will join this university :goodjob:
As map I prefer pangaea... or anything else :lol:

Post game please! I've quit my job and ready to go on a civ and beer bender. :lol:

Sorry for the delay. The map is Pangaea, normal size.

The start:

Some thoughts: too bad there is no good food resource here. On the positive side, the forests and mines will allow us to utilize the +25% worker bonus.
I usually tend to settle in place and trust the map generator that this is the best spot, but this time I am not sure.

Please remember: we can have a pre-game discussion about settling and initial plan. However, if you already started playing and know more than what is shown in the above screenshot, please don't participate in the pre-game discussion and post all your comments in a spoiler and the year outside the spoiler.

Enjoy

Attachments

• Immortal Student Sury BC-4000.CivBeyondSwordSave
    28.7 KB · Views: 414
Oof. Too bad the UB doesn't give +10 food. :lol:

No problems, starting tech is mining so worker/BW. There's probably another resource in the fog, I'd settle in place, you're by a river right? Can't quite make out that detail.
The capital will probably be moved later on for a more food rich site, this will be a good production city.

Edit: Right, I forgot we are expansive, in that case we could go scout/warrior-> worker while teching bw.

I'm gonna stand this one over as I haven't had time to play the Monty game to completion and it will be at least another few days there, but I hope this series will continue as it's fun and educational for civ addicts so I can get back on the train for the next game. :)

Looks like an okay start to me. I'll play after I finish Monty game (no time this weekend at all - tournament and next week lots of stuff to do for school).

I would consider popping the hut with the scout in the hopes of getting a map.

This start ain't got no alibi.

4000B.C.
Spoiler :
Maps all around. Settling in place or popping with a scout. Not that the scout's map helped....stupid scout, always staring out to sea. He must be scouting for mermaids, or something.

What are people's thoughts on settling 1W for dual river access? Is it worth the turn, given the risk that one or both rivers are short or very short? Is it worth the turn, given that it won't make a difference until Sailing (? I believe), or given that Sury is Expansive and has less need for the health bonus of fresh water (ie not as restricted to keeping future cities on the river)?

It is a bad start.I don't know if there are any food resources in the fogs,but seems not. So I want to scout and then settle down, though wasting some turns in Immoral really hurts.

I don't see why you all think the start is so horrible, it's bad but with mining we can research BW straight away and chop out expansions for some better cities asap.

For workers we get 6 hammers instead of 4 with this start + expansive.

Mmm doesn't exactly grab me as a great capital site. :lol: Probably a resource North of the scout so I will settle in place. I'll be honest this would normally be a regenerate map for me. I don't like having a plains cow as the only food resource.

The idea is to learn so a tough start is a good thing I suppose. ;)

Early pottery for a cheap granary might be the order of the day to help with growth. Might be lucky and find a better Capital site close by like last time. :lol:

Good luck all, some of us might need it. :D

Top Bottom