Military Advisor

ruff_hi

Live 4ever! Or die trying
I've been thinking about the worst advisor screen in the game ... the military adviser! Here are some suggestions for improvements ...

1. add some tabs
  2. put the location of Great Leaders (ie units with attached Great Generals) in the list of units
  3. Tab - Situation Room, that shows ...
    • List of other leaders
    • Their relationship with you
    • current thread level (see below)
    • Will Declare war on someone else? (yes / no - including reason if NO)
    • key resources indicator? (ie do they have copper!)
    • copy of glance tab but include if 2 AIs have touching borders

Threat Level
  • 5 levels (very low, low, moderate, high, extreme)
  • Basic position is level 3 (moderate), adjusted as follows:
  • +1 for border tension
  • +1 if str > 2.0
  • +2 if WHEOOH
  • -1 if str < 0.5
  • -1 if Friendly (I always mix these up, is 'Pleased' better than 'Friendly'?)
  • -2 if Pleased

I'm not planning on putting in adjustments for nutcases (ie monty)

Thoughts, suggestions, other?

Honestly, I'd just really like it if you could make it open a little faster. I'd use it more often if not for the delay.

Honestly, I'd just really like it if you could make it open a little faster. I'd use it more often if not for the delay.
Not much you can do about the delay - it is cycling over all visible units to build the unit list.

this idea maybe too much work but it would be cool to get it organized by wars. so any units lost when at war with that civ gets recorded in "the Xciv-YCiv war or Turn/year"
then you get a better idea if you killed a lot or not. I'd be happy if it just simply calculated casualties using the numbers from the demographics screen. Everytime you lost a unit that equal 10,000 people that value gets added. So at the end you would see a report like:

"XCiv-YCiv War of 950AD - 50,000:150,000"

just a thought...

I'd rather like to see an overview of units with the currently highest XP. Maybe even with the option to locate them via map...

The current system stores units by ...

• combat type
  • unit type

I looked at the code to see if I could pull Great Leader units (ie ones with GGs attached) out and it got a little confusing. I'll see (warning: low priority, lower even than other things) if I can free up the first index and make it a user specified item ... options are:

• XP
  • level
  • promotion
  • location (in city, in territory, outside territory)

Any other options? Once I can do one, it should be easy to do the others.

I think that would suffice. Indeed it would be rather nice to have that feature, especially for HE and West Point planning...

skeleton posted to the SVN. I will post some screenies and discussion here tonight.

sweet!:) Will try and play around with it today and see what can be tweaked.;) BTW - Can you modify your Unit Renamer Mod so it will have the .INI file for it located in a BUG Mod directory in My Games, instead of the BTS folder? I think we'll need to do that with the CustomDomAdvisor folder too.

The military advisor has been built out from the victory condition screen. I left the 'settings' tab in just for testing purposes.

Screen Shot 1 ...

Standard military adviser. Moved the GG emergence bar from the bottom and put a border around it. Not happy with that border yet - will play some more. One issue is that the standard military adviser minimap has a border but I cannot get that to work ... border works but the minimap appears behind the border if you leave the 'deployment' tab.

Screen Shot 2 ...

• Obviously not complete
  • Worse Enemy will be "n/a" until the patch. After that, it will show the leaderhead icon (or none)
  • Threat index I will discuss later. Thinking of a progress bar that changes color based on some items
  • Active wars - leader heads of people who indicated leader is fighting
  • strat res - icons of strategic resources (copper, iron, oil, aluminum, ??) with a little counter showing how many (determined from trade screen)
  • create reminders - duh! - typo, meant to be 'declare war?' with a yes or no ... if no, will include reason why not

Looks good Ruff. How about we change that Settings Tab to one that will let you create a list that will have units listed based on combat experiences, so you can find that guy with 19 exp a bit easier?

Threat Index ...

progress bar, 0 to 100

0 - 20, words = NIL, color = green
20-40, Low, Brown
40-60, Moderate, Yellow
60-75, High, Orange
75-100, Extreme, Red

25 pts for ATTITUDE ... -15 to +15 = 25 to 0
25 pts for strength rating ... -50% to +50% = 25 to 0 (str = us / them - 1)
20 pts for close borders or ocean exposure (us) and them with knowledge of astronomy
30 pts if they are WHEOOH

Looks good Ruff. How about we change that Settings Tab to one that will let you create a list that will have units listed based on combat experiences, so you can find that guy with 19 exp a bit easier?
Current listing is sorted on unit-type. Going to free that up so that you can select level, XP, Location (city, within borders, outside borders), etc. Any other suggestions?

BTW - Can you modify your Unit Renamer Mod so it will have the .INI file for it located in a BUG Mod directory in My Games, instead of the BTS folder? I think we'll need to do that with the CustomDomAdvisor folder too.

I will do those at the same time I fix the main INI file loading. Rather, fixing the main INI file loading will change those automatically.

Re the strategic resouces (Copper, Iron, Horses, Ivory, Oil, Aluminium, Uranium) ... there are lots of options about how to show this. I'm flipping between ...

A) only showing the resources that we know (from the trading screen) they have and the number they have
B) showing all resources (and number from trading screen). If they know the tech that reveals it (and we do too), but they don't have any, then showing zero. If they don't know the tech (or we don't), then just show an empty resource icon with no counter on it. Is there a way of showing a resource icon but having it "grey'ed" out?

I'm leaning towards B.

@ruff:

Threat is spelled with "t" :p ...or are those direct links to the CFC threads about wars with those leaders :D ?

Other than that: Looks great ! :goodjob:

@imhotep - thanks for that. I picked that up last night. I even had threadindex scattered thru the code. Not sure what I was thinking ... could have been that people were giving me a hard time on here and I decided to code up a thread threat index. :D

Top Bottom