Matthewthegreat's RPC: Montezuma the religious leader!

matthewthegreat

Warlord
Poor Monty, every one thinks of him as a crazy warlord. Notice his traits are aggressive AND spiritual it’s true Monty likes war (if fact he really, really, really likes war :rolleyes:) but he would rather be know as a great religious leader. In this RPC Montezuma wants to show who he really is, he want to show the world he is a great religious leader!

Rules:

1. He will found one religion and that will be his state religion for the rest of the game. His state religion will not be a religion he did not found and he will not found more then one religion.

2. Before he can win he must raze at least three holy cities because he is not tolerant of other religions! Of course he must not raze his state religion’s holy city. Razing a multiple holy city counts as more then 1 city (i.e. a double holy city would count as two cities and a triple holy city would count for all three)

3. If the AP is not under his state religion he must raze the city that it was built in.

4. Sacrificial altars may only be built in cities with his state religion present he must not sacrifice to other gods!!!

5. Monty can not take vassals , vassals are left on only for the AIs

Victories:

Grade A: AP diplomatic
Grade B: UN diplomatic
Grade C: space race
Grade D: domination or time
Grade F: cultural or conquest victories are totally unacceptable!

Here are the settings:

Here is the start:

So we must try to get a diplomatic win with a lot of war. Sounds like fun!

I will be posting my reports as I play this game.

This is bts + 3.13 patch + bhruic's Unofficial 3.13 patch

Attachments

• Montezuma the religious leader .CivBeyondSwordSave
    40.3 KB · Views: 162
4000BC - 2575BC

first the tech order mining > BW > wheel > agriculture > Polytheism

4000 BC I settled in place and name the city Matthew City and started to work on a worker.

3900 BC found my nerst niebor Pacal II

3825 BC YES!!!!!!!! a goody hut gave me AH :woohoo:

3775 BC said hi to the to the incan dude

3650 BC then found Sitting Bull

3525 BC :woohoo: the gods love monty! I got masonry from a goody hut!!!

3100 BC all axmen get a shock!!!

2725 BC It's nice to know I'm the most advanced!

2575 BC I settled Tenochtitlan here it is not a very good food spot but it has stone and copper!

That is where I saved I need some advice.

One of the things I need to know is what religion should I found?

Attachments

• Montezuma the religious leader 2575BC.CivBeyondSwordSave
    65.7 KB · Views: 83
I would go for Taoism. You have stone, so I'd chop the Pyramids, later I would build the Great Library. The first Great Scientist I would burn into Philosophy.

I like this RPC, but I'd rethink the grades for victories, because they're kind of ridiculous with vassals on :).

Basically all you'd have to do is get close to domination, spread your religion minimally to enemies, and let your vassals vote you a win. The main constraint, therefore, between an A and a D is building the AP (or getting an AI with your religion to make it for you, then taking it). You have to take it if someone else builds it regardless though, since you have to win by founding a religion, and use that one (and the enemy AP must be razed). So, this is a rush to AP with some warmongering as I see it, though other ways are surely possible :p.

I'd strongly recommend either a prophet bulbing theology or even using the oracle on it (the prophet from the oracle could then make the shrine ASAP, a very strong wealth city given how you're likely to play this). This makes Christianity the preferred religion in this RPC, IMO.

Very interesting that courthouses can't go in cities without the religion, that makes intercontinental wars very interesting, and we have a continents game on our hands =P. Using caravels to shuttle missionaries over might be useful, although realistically unless your continent is founding all the religions (it happens when you get a tech whore, or hatty with gold), you'll probably have angry heathen civs over there. OR is going to be a favored civic in the event that the enemy founds religions over there to the extent that you HAVE to go over oceans just to get the required holy city razings. Take a city, spread religion, then quickly pump out missionaries there so you can afford cities at all :lol:. I guess you could just get huge on your own continent and raze people into capitulation too though.

I might pick this up after all my projects are in this week (like, thursday evening/friday morning :(). It looks interesting, though i'm trying to run emperor games too, I do so love these RPC's if I can win them :lol:.

I like this RPC, but I'd rethink the grades for victories, because they're kind of ridiculous with vassals on :).

Basically all you'd have to do is get close to domination, spread your religion minimally to enemies, and let your vassals vote you a win. The main constraint, therefore, between an A and a D is building the AP (or getting an AI with your religion to make it for you, then taking it). You have to take it if someone else builds it regardless though, since you have to win by founding a religion, and use that one (and the enemy AP must be razed). So, this is a rush to AP with some warmongering as I see it, though other ways are surely possible :p.

oh thanks, I totally forgot to add this rule:

5. Monty can not take vassals , vassals are left on only for the AIs

I'd strongly recommend either a prophet bulbing theology or even using the oracle on it (the prophet from the oracle could then make the shrine ASAP, a very strong wealth city given how you're likely to play this). This makes Christianity the preferred religion in this RPC, IMO.

I was thinking Christianity was a good choice but I can only found 1 religion so I have to wait for a AI to found confucianism before I can get COL and and get the Sacrificial altars running which may be hard.

I'm thinking I will found christianity then tech till I have one turn to get COL than wait for a AI to found confucianism before finishing COL.

Very interesting that courthouses can't go in cities without the religion, that makes intercontinental wars very interesting, and we have a continents game on our hands =P. Using caravels to shuttle missionaries over might be useful, although realistically unless your continent is founding all the religions (it happens when you get a tech whore, or hatty with gold), you'll probably have angry heathen civs over there. OR is going to be a favored civic in the event that the enemy founds religions over there to the extent that you HAVE to go over oceans just to get the required holy city razings. Take a city, spread religion, then quickly pump out missionaries there so you can afford cities at all :lol:. I guess you could just get huge on your own continent and raze people into capitulation too though.

I will try to make sure I don't have to but I may have to break rule 4 or 5 because of the overseas cost.

I'm going to play the next segment letter today and post it here. Thanks for the comments and help keep them coming!!!

2575BC - 675BC

the tech order: finished Polytheism > priesthood > writing > monotheism > pottery > part of IW

2025 BC I finished priesthood and stated work on the oracle and start chopping trees down. I decided to next tech writing then monotheism and if I finished both techs by the time finished the oracle I would found Christianity if not I would found Confucianism

1825 BC Judaism was founded in a distant land. Not one religion so far has been founded on my continent. looks like I will have to go over seas to raze the three holy cities :undecide:

1600 BC the oracle done

and I founded the Confucianism! then I converted to Confucianism

It was 11 turns to monotheism so I did not want to risk losing the oracle trying to get Christianity. Now the plan is to get a prophet and bulb theology as soon as Christianity has been founded.

1575 BC Open Borders with HC

1475 BC Open Borders with pacal II and Toynbee's greatest work

1400 BC here is the next city

Here is the first question. Does this look like a good GP farm or Should take Mutal and make it my GP farm? it looks like a good city

1350 BC HC converts to Confucianism!!!

1325 BC I switch to OR

1150 BC Sitting Bull came to me with this and I accepted

1000 BC I got this :mad:

675 BC I got my prophet.

here is where I saved

so I got a few questions

1. I have 8 turns to IW and I must tech meditation before I can bulb theology. should I switch to meditation right away or finish IW first? remember I have to wait for Christianity to be founded before I can get theology

2. where should my GP farm be?

3. I'm thinking I am going to war with pacal II first. I have 7 axmen should I start the war now or wait?

Here is the power graph

Attachments

• Montezuma the religious leader 675BC.CivBeyondSwordSave
    134.7 KB · Views: 77
Pacal can be a VERY annoying REXer. I vote for taking him out of the picture as quickly as possible!

Did you choose the other AI's? I mean all the american civs are there!

Pacal can be a VERY annoying REXer. I vote for taking him out of the picture as quickly as possible!
I think you are right he needs to die

Did you choose the other AI's? I mean all the american civs are there!
I did choose the american AI's. I used WB to change the starting Position so the american AI's are on my continent to make the game more interesting. This game is suppose to be fun so I really hope no one thinks this is cheating, I edited nothing else in WB.

675BC - 130AD

This was a fun and eventful round! I have not played as Monty before but WOW the Sacrificial altars are great! IMO this could be the best UB in the game!

the tech order in this round: finished IW > Meditation > Mathematics > part of Monarchy

525 BC I signed a Open Borders treaty with Sitting Bull

485BC finished IW and found Iron!

335BC I had started whipping axmen getting ready for a war with pacal and I didn't have to worry too much about :mad: because of the Sacrificial altars! I whipped enough I became to 2nd most powerful according to St. Augustine.

320 BC Monty has been waiting for this moment! we get to see what pacal's head looks like on a pole!!! Here is the my army:

10 axmen and 2 jaguars

290BC Uxmal razed :mwaha: I did not lose even 1 unit when taking this city. (I forgot the screen shot)

260BC I took Mutal and am going to keep this city. I also did not lose any units when taking Mutal!

245BC I only had 1 axeman guarding Mutal so the next turn pacal took the city back

No worries same turn I took it again

185BC Christianity founded so I bulb the GProphet to get theology

170BC started work on the AP and started chopping like crazy.

95 BC A GG was born and Chichen Itza was BURNED TO THE GROUND!!! :evil:

35BC Look at this super healing unit! Heals unit in same tile extra 40% per turn :eek:

20BC Mayapan razed (again I forgot the screen shot)

55AD Calakmul razed!!!

115AD Lakamha taken and I keep this city (again I forgot the screen shot :( )

The Maya civ destroyed!!! this makes Monty really, really, really happy :woohoo: the only thing that could make him happier is if he had the AP.

130AD After almost 300 years the AP is done!!!

That is where I saved.

Relations:

Power:

Looks like I need to rebuild my military after that war.

I can't decided who to declare war on next.

War with HC

pros: his UU is out outdated and he is not protective

cons: he is pleased with me so I might be able to get him to vote for me and he is more powerful then Sitting Bull

War with Sitting Bull

pros: he is weaker then HC, he is cautious and does not have my religion

cons: he is protective and has the totem pole so he has super archers!!!

so after rebuild my military who do I declare war on next HC or Sitting Bull?

Attachments

• Montezuma the religious leader 130AD.CivBeyondSwordSave
    179 KB · Views: 85
Where are you techwise? do you have contruction? I if so, I'd start making loads of cats and swords to take over HC. The diff in power between the two is marginal and HC is closer...
But what would you win with a war? Is HC's land really better than Pacal's?

Looking at your victory grades, I'd say diplomacy is quite important (AP/Un being priority), so you might not want to annoy your neighbours too much right now.

My advise would be settling Pacal's land quickly (I'd have kept more of his cities) to get more population=more votes.

But what would you win with a war? Is HC's land really better than Pacal's?

Looking at your victory grades, I'd say diplomacy is quite important (AP/Un being priority), so you might not want to annoy your neighbours too much right now.

After thinking about it, your right, I think I need friends if I’m going to win by AP/UN. I Probably will not start another war until I have found the AIs with heathen religions on the other continents. also if I wait and decide to kill sitting bull latter his UB will be outdated!

lol as you can tell I play like a warlord and find diplomatic Victories hard so thanks for the help I need it.

My advise would be settling Pacal's land quickly (I'd have kept more of his cities) to get more population=more votes.
I think I should have kept more cities but I was worried about my economy, it's not doing good. I probably will be settling the land in the next segment.

130AD - 1010AD

This round was interesting! I did a lot of REXing in this round and I stayed out of war in this round. For the next round the question is go to war or not go to war.

The tech in this round: finish monarchy > sailing >currency > MC > machinery > for next round civil service

130AD Monty voted himself into the AP!!!

250AD switch to HR

265AD first on this turn Sitting Bull taught Monty his ABC’s :lol: and about archery for in exchange of the knowledge of COL

I asked HC nicely for fishing and he gave it to me!

and here is our next city

400AD got a prophet!

415AD Sitting Bull voted for me!

and I built the Kong Miao which really helped my economy!

475AD next city

490AD another city

565AD made a trade with Sitting Bull calendar and 20 gold for currency (forgot screen shot)

640AD and yet another city

760AD and the last city of this round

130AD - 1010AD Continued

860AD I forgot the screen shot but HC really likes me because I had researched half of construction then asked for HC to give it to me and he accepted!!! :woohoo:
I asked Sitting Bull for wine and he gave it to me

950AD Hmm now this is where the game gets very interesting Sitting Bull stopped voting for me :mad: and this vote was close only 2 more vote I would have lost the AP to HC.

970AD to make things more interesting Taoism was founded in poverty point the first religion to be founded on my continent :mischief:

990AD HC declared war on Sitting Bull?!?!

1010AD This is where I saved

The world:

Techs:

Sitting Bull does not have MC yet that’s good!

Power:

I am weak at the monument but with the sacrificial altars I can change that quickly! BTW how accurate is the power graph? I have won numerous won with a lower power then my enemy according to the power graph.

Sitting Bull has the only holy city on my continent and Monty thinks it needs razed. I now have cats so killing Sitting Bull’s longbow men will be no problem.

So what does every one think should I join the war and declared war on Sitting Bull? should I war with HC? or should I remain natural and try to pass a AP vote to stop the war?

To war or not to war that is the question.

Attachments

• Montezuma the religious leader 1010AD.CivBeyondSwordSave
    240.7 KB · Views: 113
power graph isn't just your military, it does take into account other things. the reason why a low power civ can take on a high power civ is that the total power of your empire doesn't matter really, what matters is the power you bring to a point. If you outgun his defenders at every city, it doesn't matter that he has a thousand more cities than you do.

Looks like its time to dogpile on sitting bull, he's going to spread his own religion now anyway and monty can't have that!:lol:

1010AD - 1255AD

This is not a very long round I have been busy and I only could play a few turns yesterday and then a few turn today.

Techs: civil service > compass > part of optics

1040AD Sitting bull asked me to go to war with HC I told him I would not do that and now he is cautious.

Just after this HC takes Poverty Point the Holy city of Taoism. I was thinking maybe I should have joined Sitting Bull in the war and raze that city.

1060AD I’m the Largest civilization!!! :woohoo:

1130AD Sitting Bull takes Poverty Point Back from HC! Hmm I was going to war with HC because he had the Poverty Point but Sitting Bull was stupid enough to take the city back so now I plan to kill Sitting Bull. HC and Sitting Bull made peace just after Poverty Point was taken Back.

1180AD switch to Bureaucracy

1220AD I got his event so I spent the 64 gold to rebuild it

1240AD Monty just noticed we have this big stack on the edge of Sitting Bull’s land...

So Monty thinks about it. He has a big stack and he does not want Sitting Bull to spread his religion :hmm: .

big stack + holy city = WAR!!!!!!!!!!!!!

1255AD OUCH! As our stack walked to Poverty Point his horse archers inflicted a lot of damaged to our cats but it didn’t really matter we razed Poverty Point and stopped Taoism anyways!

That’s 1 of 3 holy cities we need to raze! So far the game seems to be going good hopefully we can get the votes we need to win a AP/UN.

HC has a “-1 you declared war on our friend” I’m like “-1 If he is really your friend why did you declare war on him back in 990AD?” It’s not a big deal because he is sill friendly but it is annoying.

BTW I noticed there has not been very many comments but I really appreciate the comments and help that I have received so far! So please keep the comments coming!

I save here Like I said it was a short round.

Attachments

• Montezuma the religious leader 1255AD.CivBeyondSwordSave
    264 KB · Views: 86
1255AD - 1395AD

Montezuma looks out across the huge ocean, ever since he was a little boy he always wanted to know what was out there. Could there be other lands? Could there be other nations to conquer? Could there be a religious zealot that needs to die?

Ok we will get to that soon but first the Sitting Bull War.

1290AD so I have a lot of EPs on Sitting Bull so I support a city revolt, taking the city was so easy! I love espionage!

At last we have researched optics

1330AD We take Mesa Verde and keep the city. I was going to go after Nacogdoches but Sitting Bull moved a huge stack in that city as I marched towards it.

1340AD here is our ship before it departs to find new lands

and we get the classic literature quest…

1345AD next turn we complete the quest. Wow that was easy

1350AD HC asked for compass so we give it to him to make him happy.

1360AD I support a city revolt then raze this city (I didn’t like the fact it was on top of the horses)

1370AD we meet Elizabeth who is a Jew and we sign a open borders. I made a trade with her for philosophy but I can’t remember what I gave her for it and I forgot the screenshot.

1375AD We find this religious zealot Monty wants to kill her!!

1385AD capture this city and keep it

I needed a break from the war so I made temporary peace

1255AD - 1395AD Continued

1395AD I meet Louis XIV, he is a Hindu. I have not played very many games with him. Is he peaceful? I hope so.

We signed a open borders with him then made this trade

Next we found this city next to the ruins of Nacogdoches

That is where I saved

Cities:

Victories:

The world:

And techs:

So does it look like I can win the liberalism race and then get astronomy from it?

Isabella is Louis XIV vassal. So do I need to spread my religion to Isabella to win a AP or just to Louis XIV because he is her master?

I usually play on a Pangaea map so I don’t have much experience in over seas war so I would appreciate some tip because I have to do some wars over seas to raze my other 2 holy cities.

Attachments

• Montezuma the religious leader 1395AD.CivBeyondSwordSave
    289.1 KB · Views: 110
Top Bottom