Making a new Main Menu image

Ambreville

Deity
I tried replacing the background image in the Beyond_The_Sword_Main_Menu.dds file (in the mod's Assets\Art\Interface\Main Menu folder). I used an image that is the exact size (1024x1024 pixels) as the original, refreshed the screen after edit, and saved the file as DDS without the mini maps option. I use the DXTbmp application for that. The game bombs when I reload it with the modified image. Any idea what else I need to do to get that new image to work?

The same happens with the dds file located in the Assets\Art\Interface\Screens\Loading folder.

I tried replacing the background image in the Beyond_The_Sword_Main_Menu.dds file (in the mod's Assets\Art\Interface\Main Menu folder). I used an image that is the exact size (1024x1024 pixels) as the original, refreshed the screen after edit, and saved the file as DDS without the mini maps option. I use the DXTbmp application for that. The game bombs when I reload it with the modified image. Any idea what else I need to do to get that new image to work?

The same happens with the dds file located in the Assets\Art\Interface\Screens\Loading folder.

Did you rename your image as the original background image?

Is there a way to prevent the image from being stretched horizontally though??
Try using a normal perspective 1024x768 image and then resize it to 1024x1024 before converting it to a dds. When you resize it to 1024x1024 it will look skewed but it should display correctly in game.

Try using a normal perspective 1024x768 image and then resize it to 1024x1024 before converting it to a dds. When you resize it to 1024x1024 it will look skewed but it should display correctly in game.

Thanks, I should be able to do this with the original image. Makes sense.

@ Johnny Smith -- what exactly did you do to get the image saved in the correct dds format? What program did you use? (I use DXTbmp -- maybe that cannot save the dds files correctly).

I used Photoshop with the NVIDIA plugin. I saved mine as DXT5 ARGB 8 bpp interpolated alpha format. When I open yours I had DXT3 ARGB 8 bpp explicit alpha. Anyway I hope that helps.

P.S. I am not sure if yours was DXT3 or not now, but anyway I saved mine as DXT5

http://www.utzone.de/include.php?path=content/download.php&contentid=4069

Maybe this will help I don't have gimp so have not tried it, but is says

"Added two new compressed format options using DXT5 compression. One stores the image in YCoCg colorspace as described in this paper. The other stores a shared exponent in the alpha channel for added color precision. The benefit of the shared exponent version over the YCoCg version is that only one instruction is required in a fragment shader to decode (color.rgb *= color.a), great for when your instruction budget is low. Otherwise, the YCoCg format is superiour in quality, but more expensive to decode in a shader."

Somebody mentioned that plug-in but I'm not sure it's working the way it's supposed to. Not sure why. The other problem I have with Gimp is that I basically don't understand it well. For example, I don't know how to display the Alpha Channel, and I can't find the way to save as a DXT5 either (it just lists "dds" as a format). Gimp has proved totally frustrating to me so far. Obviously, I'm not used to dealing with graphic files.

Look at the save window :

in the drop down list you see DDS DXT5 as I've chosen it from about ten different formats.

Attachments

• DXTstuff.png
    DXTstuff.png
    41.8 KB · Views: 119
Look at the save window :

in the drop down list you see DDS DXT5 as I've chosen it from about ten different formats.

You must have a different version than mine. The one I have looks like this (see attachment)

I can't figure out what version I have because the Help menu sends me on the internet, which doesn't help.

Sorry for the confusion.

Attachments

• DXTbmp Screenie.jpg
    DXTbmp Screenie.jpg
    91.6 KB · Views: 41
Top Bottom