Revolution Inquisition

jdog5000

Revolutionary
By popular demand ...

Revolution Inquisition, a merge of Revolution with bmarnz's Inquisitor mod tuned to work with Revolution.

Inquisitors can be built after the discovery of Theology while you're running a Theocracy in cities that have your state religion. The AI will build them as well and will only purge rebellious cities of heathen religions, ie it won't purge religions from stable cities. You must have your state religion in a city for the inquisitor to be able to perform his mission.

If a purge succeeds, other civs who follow the removed religions will think badly of you and the city will carry a temporary unhappiness penalty. If a purge fails, the city will also have temporary unhappiness penalty plus a boost to its revolution index (chance of revolt). Unhappiness penalties use the slavery whip mechanism ("We can't forget your cruel oppression").

Try it out and see what you think.

If anyone is interested in taking over this particular merge and tinkering with/improving it, PM me and I'll happily make you the uploader for the files.

I love you man.

I tried doing this myself, but I haven't messed with it enough and got everything loaded... but Great Prophets and Inquisitors stopped working.

I was hoping you'd do this :D

This sounds great jdog. Looking forward to checking it out. :goodjob:

Hmmm. I can't seem to find out where the limiter is that makes it theocracy-only.

Which file is that defined in?

Hmm. Found it where I least expected it. Defined at the python level.

That seems... odd. Especially since the Inquisitor unit 'pedia doesn't mention Theocracy requirement.

IIRC, the original Inquisitor mod added a line to the Civic options for allowing units. Seems like this would have been a better way to go, and would have allowed different special units if desired. Also, makes it VERY difficult to mod to allow the Inquisitor in all state religion civics.

bmarnz's code didn't limit when the human player could build Inquisitors at all, only when the AI would consider building it. I think this is because it was based off the Gods of Old scenario in which the limits wouldn't really have been necessary ...

There are other inquisitor mods out there, some may have also incorporated the civic prerequisite for units mod (which requires adding pieces to the SDK). Creating the civic limit in Python was the simplest way to go.

Yipee. Just loaded up a game to try it out. There is no Religious victory in Revolutions ,so I'm wondering what the motivation is for inquisition.

Is it to get a more stable city/empire by removing the other religions ?
Is it to nerf the opposition's shrine income ?
...To try to convert the opposition and get them on side ?
Just wondering what people do with it.

Yipee. Just loaded up a game to try it out. There is no Religious victory in Revolutions ,so I'm wondering what the motivation is for inquisition.

Is it to get a more stable city/empire by removing the other religions ?
Is it to nerf the opposition's shrine income ?
...To try to convert the opposition and get them on side ?
Just wondering what people do with it.

Stability. Extra religions are the very bane of stability.

Hey is it possible to remove the holy city?
The only way to remove a holy city should be destroying it or there is no other city with that religion.
Couse even though the people in the jewish holy city stops praying to Jahve (God) it doesnt mean that other doesnt and don't think that it is the holy city.:p

Is it only me that noticed that the inquisitor units look like Christian missionaries when not selected?

Is it only me that noticed that the inquisitor units look like Christian missionaries when not selected?

I've had that problem with other mods and I've been told that it is because I have unit animation turned off. I'm not sure if it's the same situation, but it's worth a shot.

Yes holy cities can be removed, though the odds are much lower of it succeeding.

It should be impossible to remove the holy city until there is no other city with that religion.

Maybe its a way to make inquisitors put the religion down to like 1 %?:king:

It should be impossible to remove the holy city until there is no other city with that religion.

Maybe its a way to make inquisitors put the religion down to like 1 %?:king:

agreed. i'd like an inquisitor unit in my games only if it can destroy holy cities after no other city has the religion.

Why not make it so that if an inquisitor is successfully used on a holy city (chances should be low but reasonable) that has other cities with its religion, then the holy city will move to one of those cities?

Why not make it so that if an inquisitor is successfully used on a holy city (chances should be low but reasonable) that has other cities with its religion, then the holy city will move to one of those cities?

The Pope just say: "Well i guess as Jerusalem don't belive in Jesus was not born there. Hmm maybe he whas born in Athen? Yeah lets take that!"

I don't like this idea but it is still much better then just deleting the holy city.

If inquisitor unit make religion go down to 1 % it would be better.
Becouse the inquisitors did never totally exterminate every heathen religion in a city.:p

The Pope just say: "Well i guess as Jerusalem don't belive in Jesus was not born there. Hmm maybe he whas born in Athen? Yeah lets take that!"

Well, I was looking at holy cities as being the center of an organized religon (nothing to do with the civic :D) rather than a site of events for that religion, and civ 4 seems to support this because all of the money from the other cities flows into their coffers. For instance, Rome was the center that the Pope operated out of. But with the split of the Roman Church into the Roman Catholics and the Eastern Orthodox Church, Constantinople became the "holy city" that this new church operated out of. However, I'm sure that if (hypothetically) some country was able to invade and destroy Rome before this split, or if they somehow against all odds purged Rome of Christianity, then Constantinople would have become the next "holy city" that unified Christianity.

I suppose that if this ever were put into a mod for some reason, then razing the holy city could cause it to change sites too, although this would cause gameplay problems with finding ways of stopping overly powerful religions. Many people usually just raze that religion's holy city in order to stop income from that religion (if they don't have the capability of holding on to it.) Maybe something similar to combat this could be an espionage mission that hopefully causes a split in massive religions much like revolutions does for civilizations. Maybe we could have a "reformationist" spy to use against other religions. I don't know, that might be going too far though, although I have heard about a mod that simulates religion splits.

I could have sworn there was a religion mod that re-created a holy city if there wasn't one.

Top Bottom