Marconi class (Italian WWII submarine)

The_Coyote

Emperor

Attachments

• demo.jpg
    demo.jpg
    104.7 KB · Views: 418
Wonderful job, as always.Some suggestions, though.
To reduce the polycount, instead of actually modeling the railing, you could make it a flat object and add the rails by using a texture with an alpha channel. The same goes for little do-dads like the radio directional finder on the bridge. You could probably do away with the radio wire on the top as well. Most people won't notice it anyway.

Most excellent... French sub next, or redo of Type VIIC?

Edit:
You say it uses SC animation (Gato animation)... which is it... the SC or Gato animation? I thought Gato was deeper then SC?!?!?

This might be a silly question: is the poly count simply the same as the number of triangles? Or does it take into account vertices and faces?

Excellent unit!

thanks

@ Xenomorph

i only have to figure out how it works :dunno:, but for sure it would be better

@ Wolfshanze

the Marconi uses best the SC, the Marcello the Gato. The tower from the last is a little higher and there was with the SC animation a minor issue with the dive deep. And next sub is french (sorry, but you have to wait a little bit longer for the VIIC)

@ Wolfshanze

the Marconi uses best the SC, the Marcello the Gato. The tower from the last is a little higher and there was with the SC animation a minor issue with the dive deep. And next sub is french (sorry, but you have to wait a little bit longer for the VIIC)
Ah okay... I appreciate you made both the Marconi and Marcello... you might want to clarify in the download and/or initial post which uses which animation, but thanks for the info and the excellent pair of Italian subs (now I just need Mussolini to lead them!).

On the next sub project, I'm perfectly fine with the French being next. I can wait for the Germans (it's not like I'm stuck with that hideous default sub for the Germans... just eagerly await your interpretation of the VIIC).

I suppose I'm obliged to beg one-last-time for the Surcouf for France... even though I'm pretty sure you've got your heart set on another class!

thanks

@ Xenomorph

i only have to figure out how it works :dunno:, but for sure it would be better
I only know how to do this in NifViewer, but here goes...
After you create the object that will eventually become your railing (or any other do-dad) make sure that it is a separate object. In NifViewer, select the object, right click and go to Properties. In here, expand the "NifProperties" window. This is where you would assign things like texture, specular and material properties. Right click in the window and choose "NiAlphaProperty." Double click on "NiAlphaProperty" and set "Alpha Enabled" to ENABLED and "Alpha Testing" to ENABLED.
That's all you need to do to the model. The rest is just making the texture and giving it an alpha map. Remember, white = opaque and black = transparent. If you are using a glossmap, IIRC you have to give that the alpha channels (in the same places, naturally) as well.

[EDIT]
On another note, what's with all the Swedish propellers on your subs?

Awsome :)
Thx for this model :)

again thanks ;)

@ Xenomorph

thanks for the infos! Will be a great help.

And the swedish propeller, i think it was the only part i never looked exact at my references (i controlled this class and saw that they look a bit different from my), so my props seems to be all wrong :D. Perhaps i try something new by the next model

@ Wolfshanze

thanks for the input, i changed the opening post to clarify the animations.

yes the first french sub will be for sure not the Surcouf, but if you (and troytheface) can wait a bit longer ... ;)

Some thoughts/ideas on subs for nations that don't have any yet...

Turkey: Ay (Atilay) class
Greece: Nereus class
Sweden: Draken class
Finland: Vetehinen
Dutch: O12 or KXIV
Meso-Americans: Elco (aka: "R" class)

Top Bottom