Japanese Modern General Pack

Wolfshanze

CFC Historian
This is the Modern Japanese General (Warlord) for Civ4.

Based on the body of the default Modern General and the head and hat of Chugginator's German General (currently unreleased... the two halves merged by Chugg), I did the best I could with the detail work, reworking Chugg's head with an asian-face, changing the tunic with a new cut, rank insignia collar tabs & chest ribbons... also the cap got the Japanese officer's star and leather strap. The rank insignia for Japan is based on the 1938-1943 Army Taisho (General) standard. It is one of the most simplistic rank designs of the major powers in WWII being more austere then others.

On the uniform itself, some of you may say "that's not the right color for Japan"... well... you're both right and wrong. The Japanese never met a color that wasn't authorized to wear for their officers. Japanese Army officers were expected to procure their own uniforms from commercial tailors. Though obviously made to a regulation basic design, details of color, material and quality thus varied widely depending upon the maker and the individual means. Uniforms were often made on a local basis and such color variations were bound to result from differences in dyes used.

Having stated the above, I have made TWO different uniforms, based on two popular color choices for Japanese officers... one, a drab brown, often used in mainland Asia, and the other, a dark green, often used on Pacific island duties. You can use/choose whichever you prefer in your game/mod.

Both models use the default Modern General (Warlord) animation files.

Download v1.0 Here
Face-glow issue fixed... Updated 21 May 08.

The above based on these actual WWII uniforms (w/1938 Taisho insignia):

Nambu Type-14 pistol

In-game screenshot of both uniform types:

Good work on the uniform.

Perhaps the red on his hat could be toned down (desaturated/darkened) a bit. It looks like kind of neon glow right now (Usually happens when using a very pure, clean red). Or is it part of the face-glow issue ?

Good work on the uniform.

Perhaps the red on his hat could be toned down (desaturated/darkened) a bit. It looks like kind of neon glow right now (Usually happens when using a very pure, clean red). Or is it part of the face-glow issue ?
It's part of the face glow issue... if you look at the Nifskope pictures, the model looks fine... trying to get the glow issue resolved that will fix everything.

seems like japanese models don´t get a lot attention, but i like him

have played a little with the model (added a sword - or something like this ;) ), but unfortunally no idea how to solve the glowing face

btw: why has only the FX version the new head

Edit: attached file removed (stuff included in download)

Coyote... the sword looks fantastic... sent you "super-secret" PM on the Japanese General... something I think you'll find both cool and very doable. PM me back!

Chugg says he knows how to fix the faceglow... but he is very busy, so when/if he can get around to it... it's all at the mercy of his personal schedule and available time.

Poor Japanese General... he gets little love!

Thanks for the help from Coyote...

BETA RELEASE 0.98 now includes new Sword and Nambu Type 14 pistol. Updated 13 May 08.

Nambu Type-14 pistol

Okay... I've done as much as I can with this... just need the face glow issue fixed... hopefully Chug can do it, or anybody else who knows how is MORE THEN WELCOME to step-forward!

I'd like to consider this one done, but the face-glow issue is still not making me happy.

btw: why has only the FX version the new head

The other nif is completely unnecessary. :p You only need the FX.

Also, cool pistol. :D

Okay... I've done as much as I can with this... just need the face glow issue fixed... hopefully Chug can do it, or anybody else who knows how is MORE THEN WELCOME to step-forward!

To fix it you need to export it from a 3D program as a "complete" unit rather than just attaching the head later in scene viewer. As wolf said, anyone that can do this go for it. :p If not, I'll finish it off eventually.

A quick fix would be to just remove the glow entirely (I personally don't like the glow, and the size difference between great people and regular units - something I'll address in a future CDM update). :)

That's a cool general, with all the (Japanese) bells and whistles. :goodjob:
Thanks... I really thought I had to turn all Japanese in my mind to make him!

Anyways... glad I could do the painting, get the details, the face, the uniform, and work those "Jap" items in there like the Samurai sword and Nambu Type-14 pistol.

If I could just get somebody to finish-off that faceglow issue, I'll be a happy camper!

If I could just get somebody to finish-off that faceglow issue, I'll be a happy camper!

did you try moving the "attachable highlight" node rearwards? maybe that could abate the effect? it probably wont. but it´s worth a try.

many custom great people with a red glow show this effect. i don´t mind this so much. Still it´s a great unit.

To fix it you need to export it from a 3D program as a "complete" unit rather than just attaching the head later in scene viewer.

could you name a free program it could be done with? can it be done with blender? i had a stab at it, but without success. i don´t comprehend this program.

could you name a free program it could be done with? can it be done with blender? i had a stab at it, but without success. i don´t comprehend this program.

You could do it with Blender, but I've got no idea how to use that program - it's not hard to learn though.

perhaps the german general could use the model, too? could be the famous P 38.
v5.0 of the German General comes with a P08 Parabellum Luger... in-fact, he had his gun before the Jap had his Nambu Type-14.

And ANYONE who could fix this faceglow issue, I'd really appreciate the help!

Muhahahaha!!!

Expect v1.0 later today... BANZAI!!!

Actually, no, it's not in v2.7... wish it was... didn't know the breakthrough was imminent on the Jap General (remember, something new always develops within 24hrs of any mod release). If there's enough demand I can reupload a new FPK in v2.7 with the Jap fix... it wouldn't complicate saved games or anything.

Actually, no, it's not in v2.7... wish it was... didn't know the breakthrough was imminent on the Jap General (remember, something new always develops within 24hrs of any mod release). If there's enough demand I can reupload a new FPK in v2.7 with the Jap fix... it wouldn't complicate saved games or anything.

Hehe, you should have released earlier then. I'd say do a small patch with the general in Assets/Art, not the FPKs, CIV prefers dir over FPK, so it will take precedence.

That's a good idea Mamba... maybe I'll just do both (fix the FPK AND offer a small fix for those who already downloaded v2.7).

As for the timing of release v2.7, it's timed to many things... ending my last played game, incorporating recent available models and doing a LOT of XML work with this one (more then just swapping skins). You can't keep waiting for all new models... at some point you just have to give-up and release.

There... all done... see top post for new pics of both uniforms in-game. v1.0 now available for download.

I'll post a fix for the Wolfshanze Mod later today.

Top Bottom